Heaven Knows

Say you have a little faith in me

“Doctor Stark?” I hear the small voice of an assistant ask. I look up from the paperwork I was reading to look at the tiny blonde.

“Yes?” My voice isn’t void of annoyance. “What can I help you with?”

“Mister Stark is asking to speak to you.” She replies, “what should I tell him? I know you don’t want to be disturbed today.”

“Too late for that.” I sneer, looking right at her. “Send him in. Neither one of us could stop him otherwise. He designed the security in this building any way.” She quickly nods her head as she scurries out of my office. I place Pietro Maximoff’s file down on my desk as my brother walks into the room.

“Hey Maddie,” he smiles as he sits down in the chair next to me. “How are things going?”

“He’s stable but still in a coma.” I inform my brother. “It’s medicine induced coma but still a coma. I want to see an improvement before I wake him up and tell Wanda about him.”

“Is this normal?”

“I’m monitoring his brain activity to make sure he doesn’t go the same route as other T.A.H.I.T.I. patients. Plus I’m trying some other things that I’ve been working on.”

“You’re using this kid as an experiment?” Tony questions me. I’m not sure if she’s proud or pissed off.

“I didn’t want to use all of the drug, because I think that is the cause of many of the bad side effects, so I’m messing around with the drug and the Infinity Serum.” I inform my brother. “I don’t want Pietro to go crazy like the others.”

“What is this drug made of?” He asks.

“You honestly don’t want to know.” I tell him. “Trust me, it’s better that you don’t know. You can’t even find out. Fury has it buried so deep that no one is suppose to know besides him and the doctors and scientist that were on the project.”

“So what are you going to do once Speedy is back to normal?” My brother casually asks me as he swings his legs up to rest on my desk. “Are you going to go back to work at Coney Island Hospital and live a boring existence?”

“That’s the plan bro.” I reply, pushing his feet off my desk. “I’ll let you live the exciting life like Dad. I’m happy staying behind the scenes.”

“Just like Mom, huh?” He chuckles. “It’s amazing how I got all of Howard’s bad traits and you manage to get all of Mom’s amazing traits.”

“You have touches of Mom just like I have touches of Dad.” I smile.

“You know how to work a machine called the Cradle, right?”

“Helen Cho’s machine?” I ask, earning a nod from Tony. “Yea, it doesn’t take a geneticist to know how to use it. Why do you ask?”

“How about you come work alongside the Avengers?” He asks. “We could always use a doctor on the compound. You know, just incase Barton is injured again or something like that.”

“Are you sure this isn’t so you can keep an eye on me?” I laugh, causing Tony to smile.

“You’re my kid sister, I’ve been sworn to protect you even before the accident. That’s promise is something I plan to keep. So yes, this is my way to protect you.”

“By bringing me right in the devil’s den?” I chuckle.

“You won’t be going out in the battlefield, just healing wounds.” He informs me. “You’ll be safer here than out there. Trust me. So what do you say?”

“So if I work with the Avengers I get to drool over Captain America and Thor anytime I want?” I ask. “Hell yes, I’m in!” Tony just rolls his eyes before getting up.

“I’ll see you later at the party?” He asks.

“See you later Tony.” I smile before waving goodbye as he walks out of the office. I pick up my cell phone and see that it’s time to check up on Pietro.

**

I watch the silver-head man has he sleeps. His chest rises and falls as he peacefully sleeps. He’s unaware that he once was dead. He’s unaware of what’s around him.

I walk over to his monitors and write down the results. Everything is within normal limits and his brain activity is still within normal limits but on the high end of normal. He’s getting better. And I’m glad that my risk is paying off.

“Soon you’ll be awake and with your sister once more Pietro.” I say aloud to myself. “Soon.” His reaction to my voice is shocking. His heart rate raises and in the corner of my eye I can see a twitch in his finger. His metabolism is burning through the medication used to induce his coma fast, even with the CRI of it. This is something I haven’t seen in the 3 weeks I’ve been working with him. This tells me he’s healing; he is improving. He’s alive!

“I’ll be damned.” I chuckle to myself as I pull out my cell phone. Tony is gonna want to hear about this...
♠ ♠ ♠
Maddie

comment&subscribe?