‹ Prequel: Run Away With My Heart

Hear Your Heart

18: Slipping Back Into Us

Brushing her dark hair through, Olivia smiled a little, her blue eyes watching Iker who laid back on her bed, Thiago sat up on his chest. It had been a few weeks since their first night together and, despite the odd wobble that Olivia still had, she was getting used to having him around again, something which had culminated in him spending more and more time in her apartment. It was still a little strange, occasionally, she would push his hand away and insist that he leave her alone, but Iker was excellent at coping and seemed to always know the right thing to say to her, a trait she loved more and more with each passing day. “What do you boys have planned for today whilst I am at work then?” she mused, moving to fix her hair into a tight ponytail. It had been a while, after Thiago had been born, Olivia had insisted on taking 6 months off to be with her son, but with Iker back around and the date having past, she had arranged to start up again, even if it was only on half days whilst they looked for someone to take care of the baby during the day, a little part of her was excited. She had missed working and couldn’t wait to get back into.

Iker shrugged. “I think we’re probably going to just do this for a while” he mused, his fingers gently tickling Thiago’s sides, causing the boy to squeak in laughter. It was a new occurrence, Thiago had only started to laugh properly a few days earlier, but still his parents were remarkably amazed by it. It was a little hard to believe that already half of his first year had passed and that it wouldn’t be much longer until he was walking and talking. “He seems to think this is exceedingly fun” he mused, smiling up at the little boy.

“He thinks everything is fun right now” Olivia commented, smoothing out her blouse “Yesterday, he was staring at the blank television screen for about 20 minutes just giggling to himself” she mused.

“The blank screen is pretty funny” Iker teased gently “I could see why would he find it fun” he smiled.

Olivia rolled her eyes. “He clearly gets his sense of humour from his papa” she mused.

Iker chuckled and sat up a little, moving to sit Thiago ahead of him. “You know you love my sense of humour” he mused “It was the reason that we were such good friends to begin with. I could always make you laugh” he added, smiling up at her gently. It felt refreshing, to be with Olivia and Thiago with little hostility, and Iker hoped that it could stay that way for a while. He loved being around them, even if Olivia did still have the odd moment when she freaked out, he was pleased to have the chance to be close to them.

Olivia shook her head. “I wasn’t laughing with you, Iker” she mused, moving to collect her jacket.

Iker scoffed. “You know I am funny” he muttered.

Olivia rolled her eyes and pressed a kiss to his forehead. “Whatever you wanted to believe, amor” she mused teasingly.

“You’re just being mean now, Oli” Iker complained as she pulled away.

“You know I think you’re great” Olivia mused as she moved to lift Thiago out of his arms, pressing a small kiss to the baby’s cheek.

“Sometimes, you could make it a little more obvious” Iker mused, pouting a little.

Olivia giggled and moved to press a kiss against his lips. “You’re a pain” she murmured, pulling back from him.

“I’m your pain” he corrected softly “And I am also the reason you’re running late” he added, peeking at the watch which sat on her wrist. Olivia diverted her stare towards the watch and sighed, shaking her head. “I have to go” she murmured gently “Are you sure you and Thiago will be OK?” she posed, moving to gather her bag.

“We’ll be fine” Iker smiled “Don’t worry about us” he added, happily holding onto the little boy.

Olivia spared them a dubious look before she stepped towards them, pressing a kiss to Iker’s lips before she kissed Thiago’s forehead. “I’ll be home by one. If you need a thing, call me” she murmured. Iker shook his head and gave her a little push.

It was about time she trusted him to take care of their baby by himself.

~#~
Setting her bag down beside the door, Olivia let out a little sigh, glad to be home. It had been strange, being back at work had been a little odd for the brunette, but she was pleased she was getting back to it. She liked what she did and didn’t want to give it up just because she had Thiago. Pulling off her jacket, she padded towards the living room, a small smile appearing on her face as she spotted Iker sat on the floor with Thiago. They both looked exhausted, Thiago was starting to sway a little as his blue eyes began to close, and Iker looked seconds away from dropping off, and Olivia couldn’t help but grin at the sight. She couldn’t quite believe how cute they looked together.

“What have you two been doing all day?” she mused, moving to sit ahead of them.

Iker blinked and sat up a little more. “We went to the park for a walk and to feed the ducks, which he loves by the way. Then we went to that bakery you love to get your favorite pastries before we came home and started to play with his toys. I was going to put him down for a nap in a second” he mumbled, sparing a little yawn.

“How come you look so exhauasted?” Olivia mused as she reached out towards the baby, resting him against her chest as he began to drift off.

“Because he takes a lot of effort. I only took him for a walk because he wouldn’t stop crying when you left. He wouldn’t eat his lunch, most of which is on the front of my shirt and in his hair” he noted, motioning to the stains on the front of his t-shirt “And then he threw up. I don’t know how you did it by yourself, Oli, but you’re clearly better at it than me” he rambled.

Olivia shook her head. “It takes practice” she mused “And I am sure you will be great at it once you get used to it” she mused.

Iker sighed. “He’s hard work, Oli” he murmured.

“Something he evidently gets from his papa” Olivia teased gently.

Iker shook his head. “You’re the one who takes the effort Oli, trust me” he replied, stifling a little yawn.

Olivia shook her head. “I am going to put him down for a nap OK? Why don’t you do the same?” she posed.

Iker shook his head. “I’m not tired” he protested.

“Your face says something else” Olivia mused “As does the tone of your voice” she added.

“I’m fine” he replied.

Olivia shook her head and padded towards Thiago’s nursery, gently settling the baby in his crib. It felt a little strange, having Iker close, but it was a welcome change. As hard as it had been for her to get over what had happened, she was pleased to see that they were regaining some semblance of normality. Ensuring that Thiago was settled down, she padded back out into the living room, shaking her head as she noted Iker asleep against the couch. “Idiota” she muttered before she padded into the kitchen.