Bad Luck Hannah

Oh God, Was He Going to Kiss Me?

Well this was a disaster.
I sighed, deleting the entire rest of the sentence I was typing. I really had to get this paper done, but it wasn't coming together.
Romeo and Juliet was one of the most idiotic things I had ever read.
Oh my god, the guy I've known for three days is dead, let me be dramatic and take my own life.
Please.
She didn't love him.
There was no such thing as love.
I huffed, tapping my fingers impatiently against the keyboard, glancing over at my notebook where Joshs number peeked out.
Why had he given it to me? It definitely weirded me out.
It must be some kind of joke.
It probably wasn't even his number.
Still, though, he'd given it to me. What could it hurt to at least put it in my phone? I doubted I would ever use it, I never talked to anyone first, but...
Dammit, why not?
I sighed, and quickly typed his name in, though I had no idea what his last name was.
I heard a car door slam outside and cringed, immediately getting up and locking my door in case it was Jason home before our parents.
Dad always worked late, and Mom was a nurse so it was just rare she was home in general, which she probably preferred since it kept her away from her stepson.
I think we all preferred to avoid him.
I listened to the thinking footsteps with unease ad they started down the hallway, but I relaxed as they disappeared.
He must've been out of the fighting mood.
I looked at my computer again, deciding to just wing it.
It would end up as something.

I carried the books in my arms as I started across the library. I'd gotten too many at once but I hated making more then one trip, so I would just do all of them. I sat them down on a table, quickly putting the books in alphabetical order on the shelves.
Hopefully I would end up working in a library when I got out of high school, this was really all I was good at.
I chewed my lip as I searched for the right place for the book, and I looked up, seeing it was the top shelf.
Of course it was.
I frowned, then stood on my tip toes, struggling to put it up there.
It shouldn't be this difficult.
I strained, and gave a little jump, managing to shove the book on the shelf.
Except I landed wrong and started to flail backwards.
An arm suddenly curled around my waist, and I blinked, realizing I was leaning back against someone and not splattered out on the floor.
I slowly looked up, and cringed.
I think he was stalking me.
Josh grinned down at me, looking amused. "Falling for me again, Martin?"
I frowned up at him, wondering how he'd figured out my last name, and straightened quickly.
Despite I hadn't really minded his hand lingering on my waist.
I turned around to look at him, crossing my arms.
How did guys always manage to get away with wearing gym shorts and a hoodie and it not look awful?
I never wore shorts, mostly because my legs were so white they glowed in the dark, though I shaved them just because I liked it when they were smooth and not looking like they belonged to sasquatch.
Eh.
"Why are you in here?" I frowned at him.
"To check out books, duh. I need one."
"For what?"
"Uh. Class?"
Yeah right.
I shook my head, stepping around him to gather the ones I'd sat down in my arms and head upstairs.
"Need any help?"
No.
I shook My head, quickly taking the stairs and leaving him to find his "book."
Why did I have such bad luck?
I cringed as I thought about how many times I'd fallen over or into him in the past two weeks.
Three.
Three times.
I grimaced, and started scoping the shelves, placing books and straightening up what I could.
Maybe when I went back downstairs he would be gone.
I glanced over as I heard laughter from one of the tables, and saw a bunch of people sitting at a table. Some of them were in my grade, but I think the majority of them were seniors.
Jasons friends.
I wrinkled my nose, and looked down at the book title I held, quickly walking across across the open space by the windows and putting it up on the shelf.
They laughed again.
I know this was paranoid, but I always was afraid someone was laughing at me, as stupid as that sounded. They didn't even know I was around, no one ever did, but I still cringed.
I was so lame.
I sighed, holding the remaining books under my arm and starting across the room.
"Yo, Martian, where you going?"
I ignored Jasons friend Jamie. He came over a lot and was just as big of a douche as my brother was, so I avoided him at all costs too.
He was the one sitting on top of the table entertaining the rest of the group, and I kept my back to him, ignoring all of his jokes on my account like I always did; I acted like he was invisible when he was over.
"Martian, what, cat got your tongue?"
This title was an S, so I started over to the other sections,
"She's so weird," I heard one of the girls giggle. "She never speaks."
"Probably because all of you guys are assholes."
I looked back, startled, seeing Josh standing at the edge of their group, a stack of books under his arm.
"Yeah? And what are you, her boyfriend?" Jamie snorted. "As if she could get one."
"Yeah, I am, you got a problem? "
Oh dear god, I nearly dropped my books.
We all stared at him.
"Martian got a boyfriend?" Jamie looked shocked. "Does Jay know this?"
I whirled around, feeling my face flame.
Jason would kill me.
I hurried forward, and my fingers curled into the sleeve of Josh's hoodie before he made everything worse. I tugged, and he looked down as I started to drag him off into one of the aisles, feeling my chest tighten.
Jason would kill me!
"Don't do that," I burst when I stopped, whirling around to face him.
"Do what?" he asked innocently, raising a brow at me.
"You --- you know what!"
"Stand up for you?"
"No," I scowled at him, clutching the books in my hand. "Say that you're my boyfriend! I don't even know you!"
"Well, it got you to say more then three words to me at a time, didn't it?" he grinned. "And you could always get to know me."
I didn't want to get to know him.
Whatsoever.
I furrowed my brows as I looked at him.
Was this a joke?
Had someone dared him to get to know me or something?
"Why are you doing this?"
"Doing what?" he frowned, shuffling the books he held under his arm.
"T-talking to me. Did someone dare you or something?" I mumbled, looking down in embarrassment. That was probably the only reason anyone would talk to me, but I didn't blame them.
I liked being alone.
It was just better.
"No." he looked startled. "Why would you say that?"
Because why else would he try so hard to talk to me?
I hesitated, then shrugged, staring at his chest, the logo for his old school faded and washed out on his red hoodie.
I was sounding stupid again.
"Why is it so hard to believe that maybe I just wanted to talk to you?" he asked softly, taking a step closer to me. I held my ground, but really I wanted to run under one of the shelves like a frightened rabbit.
I didn't like people close to me.
"Maybe I like you," he continued, standing in front of me now, the books the only thing separating him from being completely against me. "And I just wanna get to know you better."
I tensed at the lie.
I wasn't completely stupid, I knew that wasn't true.
No one liked me like that.
They all just made fun of me.
Like Jason.
I knew I was weird, antisocial, lame, a loser --- I didn't care.
I just wanted to be left alone.
"Hannah, you could at least look at me when I'm talking."
I wished he'd never learned my name.
I glanced up warily, then away again, taking a hasty step back and finding myself against the bookshelf.
I felt cornered.
Josh took another step forward, following me, and he set his books on the ground. I hesitated, seeing the topics were for literature; he'd probably been assigned the same essay subjects my class had.
He straightened, and I went to hastily step away from him, he getting too close to me, but he propped his arm against the shelf beside my face, stopping me.
Eh.
"Stop running off already, " he huffed, staring down at me. "Do you know how hard it is to track you down? I gave you my number, I figured you would have at least texted me or something."
I frowned. "I don't do that."
"Do what?"
"Text people. First. I just, I don't."
"What's the point of having a phone if you're not gonna use it?"
"Music."
He raised his brows, and his face became a little closer to mine.
"What kind of music?"
It didn't matter.
He frowned when he saw I wasn't gonna answer, and I jumped in panic as his hand suddenly grazed my hip, plucking my phone out of my pocket.
"Hey!" I burst, reaching up for it, but he held it out of my grasp as he unlocked the screen.
"You like the good stuff," he grunted, looking surprised as he went through my playlists. "I figured you more for Taylor Swift."
As if. "Give it back."
"Just a second, " he scrolled my contacts, grinning when he saw I'd at least entered his number on my phone, and I flushed, wishing now that I hadn't. He pressed call, and he was so close to me I literally felt his phone vibrate.
"There," he said smugly. "Now you can't get out of talking to me."
He didn't realize I could just block him.
I held my hand out expectantly, and he let me have it back. I shoved it back in my pocket, hearing the bell ring to signal school was over. I really needed to get back downstairs and get my things and get out of here.
Away from him.
He made me so nervous.
"You want a ride home?" he offered. "Or I could at least walk you?"
I shook My head quickly. "No."
He frowned. "Why not?"
Because I just didn't want him too.
Plus Jason would be home today and I didn't want a repeat of the other day.
I just looked down, unsure how to respond.
"Hannah, look at me," his voice was suddenly soft, and very close. I shook My head, my hair falling into my face and hiding it. I jerked as I felt his fingers brush under my chin, forcing my face up to where I had no choice but to meet his gaze.
I felt panicked again.
What did he want from me?
He leaned closer, and I pulled back uncertainly, feeling the shelves press against my shoulders.
"You can't keep hiding forever," he murmured, voice low and soft, brushing my hair out of my face.
He was too close to me.
Much too close.
I clenched my fingers around my books, unable to see anything but his pretty blue eyes as he gazed down at me, his thumb brushing my lower lip, which I was biting harshly.
"You don't have to be afraid," he whispered, and my eyes widened as he leaned closer, face intent.
Oh god, was he going to kiss me?
He was going to kiss me!
His eyes closed as he brought his lips towards mine, and I panicked immediately.
No no no!
I couldn't go left or right to escape, so I went the only direction possible.
The ground.
I dropped immediately, scrambling away on my hands and knees before I could stumble to my feet, and I bolted for the stairs, leaving a surprised Josh in the aisle by himself.