Bad Luck Hannah

It's Probably for the Best

I could cry, I had messed up again.
It had been going fine, and we'd been having so much fun --- and then he'd fallen on me and I'd freaked out like normal ---.
I was so embarrassed.
Josh was driving me home, and I stared stiffly out the window, blinking hastily so I wouldn't cry.
He would never want to speak to me after this.
It was probably for the best, I suppose.
I glanced over as he started to turn down my driveway, but he slowed, and I glanced forward, seeing why.
Ugh, Jason must have invited all his friends over when he realized our parents were going to be out of town until sunday, Moms aunt fell down some stairs or something and was in the hospital, and her husband was confined to a bed so he couldn't take care of himself.
So in goes Mom to save the day, dragging her husband with her.
Leaving me with Jason.
"Uh, are you sure you wanna go home right now?" Josh asked, staring at all the jocks as they played football in the yard, and even from here I could see the beer.
"No," I said after a moment.
"Will you freak out if we go to my house?" he sighed, turning to look at me. "It's like six o clock and I have no idea where else we could hang out."
"I don't know," I mumbled, not wanting to go to his house. It wasn't because I thought we would be alone, it's because I knew we wouldn't, and I didn't want to be around his friends.
The one who smirked all the time really intimidated me, and the other two had girlfriends who would probably be there, and I wasn't good with girl talk.
"Come on, we'll sneak into the study and watch movies or something and I'll make sure the other guys don't bother us, okay?" He prodded, and I looked at him nervously before looking back at the party going on in front of my house.
"Fine," I said after a moment, my throat tightening.
"Really? Cool," he grinned, quickly backing out and then turning around in the middle of the road before taking off for his house, and I sighed, sinking low in my seat.
We were at his house in literal minutes, and I gazed up at the creepy thing with dread, seeing its hulking pointed roof and failing gutters with chipped paint and what looked like a few broken windows. It was really clinging to the whole Gothic architecture thing, I was surprised I didn't see any gargoyles creeping on the roof.
"It's not haunted," Josh told me, his fingers hesitating on the ignition as he saw my expression . "Really. Like no ghosts and shit."
I bit my lip, then shrugged, crawling hesitantly out of the car, my phone safely tucked in my pocket, though I left my books in his car.
there was nothing he could say to convince me that creepy place wasn't inhabited with something diabolical.
He trotted confidently up to the front door and I trailed behind him reluctantly, jumping when there was another large crack of thunder. I scurried forth immediately, almost tripping over the two steps it took to step onto his gray porch (it looked like it had once been white but most of the paint was gone now).
"Oh, yeah, you gotta watch those," he said, rather loudly in my opinion as he opened the door. "It's a real dick."
I grimaced, glancing around the creepy house; it smelled musty, old, and the lights looked like were from the thirties or something, attached to the walls with dusty shades. The interior was just as gloomy as the outside was, wallpaper peeling in places and I think the ceiling above was kind of cracking; otherwise it looked clean and lived in, and it wasn't dusty.
did they seriously dust?
I stood there awkwardly a moment, not sure what to do as Josh dumped his backpack into the entryway, where several others had been tossed down just as carelessly, the lamp on the table there wobbling precariously.
"Come on, TVs this way," he told me, angling his head behind the staircase, which nearly reached the front door and it's carpet was so bare you could see through it.
so the houses creep factor just went up by ten.
We started forward, and a dark head suddenly popped out of the kitchen on our left, blue eyes widening in shock as he saw us.
"Yo, Ricky, have you met Hannah yet ---?" Josh started, but Ricky was suddenly sent tumbling forward as the dark headed smirky guy staggered forward, looking equally as shocked.
"Er, no," Ricky straightened, blinking and looking a little embarrassed. He gave me a half wave, and I forced a tight smile, stepping hastily behind Josh so they couldn’t really look at me.
And mostly so I wouldn’t have to look at their shocked expressions.
"Are you guys... going to study... or something?" The smirky one asked after a moment, raising his brows into his dark hair.
Why did they all have such dark hair anyway?
Was there some memo I'd missed?
"Uh, we're done studying," Josh looked uncomfortable as he rubbed the back of his neck. "We were just gonna go watch some TV, Hannah's house has guests."
And probably would for a little while.
"Ahuh. Okay." Smirky nodded, grabbing the back of Rickys shirt and dragging him back into the kitchen, and Josh started forward immediately, looking chagrined.
I hastily followed him, glancing over into the kitchen to see Ricky punching Smirky in the arm, scowling at him.
Boys.
We stepped into what I assumed was meant to be a study, book shelves everywhere and the smell of old pages prominent. There was two couches in front of a large flat screen, the coffee table in front surprisingly clean.
I glanced over at the other side of the room, seeing you had to step up to reach the desk that was littered with papers as well, the large, wall-length windows covered with dusty red curtains that were in definite need of patching.
"Yeah, my uncles not really much for decorating," Josh apologized as he sat down, grabbing the TV remote. "And we really don’t want to bother his stuff too much while he's away."
I nodded, nervously twisting my fingers as he turned the TV on.
"So watcha wanna watch? We got Netflix, and a bunch of channels..."
"I don't... I don’t really watch TV much," I mumbled, looking down at my hands; I Hardly left my room, for that matter, so of course I never really watched it.
"Really? Well, what about movies? Any favorites?" He prodded, and I shrugged. He frowned, looking a little frustrated, and then started going through Netflix's movies. He finally settled on the Nightmare Before Christmas, and I relaxed as the familiar theme song started to boom through the speakers.
I leaned hesitantly back against the cushions, keeping to myself and the pillows as the movie started, and Josh sprawled himself out, letting his arms rest on the back of the couch.
I rolled my eyes.
Really, he could be a little more subtle.
Even I'd seen enough movies where I knew what he was doing.
I stared at him a moment, then looked hastily away as he glanced at me, irked.
What was his deal with me, anyway? Even if he'd had a crush on me, no one would try this hard just to get someone to talk to them.
We watched most of the movie in silence, and he finally sighed, twisting around completely to look at me, and I stiffened automatically.
"Okay, Hannah, come on. Are you really going to give me the silent treatment because I fell on you? You've fallen on me like five times."
Three.
Three times, not five.
I glanced at him, then looked at my hands.
And I wasn’t giving him the silent treatment, I just didn’t have anything to say worth hearing.
"Hannah," he suddenly reached over, his hand clasping over mine, and I jerked at the contact. He tightened his hold where I couldn’t move away, and I looked at him, feeling slightly panicked.
I knew this had been a bad idea, I should have just stayed at home and dealt with all the noise, not --- not come here and ---.
"You can get the panicked look off your face, I'm not going to do anything," he huffed, his grip slightly relaxing. "I just want to talk, okay? Preferrably with you responding with more then a nod."
I frowned at him.
I doubted it.
He frowned back at me. "Don't give me sass, I'm serious. I want to get to know you, but ---."
"Why?"
He blinked. "What?"
"Why... why do you want to get to know me?" I frowned at him, pulling my hands out from under his. "I don’t get it. Why won't you leave me alone?"
"Do you want to be left alone?"
I nodded, very aware his hand was still resting on my thighs where I'd removed my own hands, I was just pretending not to notice.
He sighed.
"Because I like you, duh. I wouldn't be going through all the motions to get you to even look at me if I didn't.
I frowned even more, not believing him.
This had to be because of a bet or something, I wasn't gullible enough to believe he actually liked me.
Josh frowned at me, and I felt his hand flex on my thigh and looked down, as if I had just realized it was there.
He moved it immediately, as if realizing himself.
"So," he cleared his throat, "are you going to talk willingly or am I going to have to drag it out of you?"
He could try, but he wouldn't succeed.
He would figure that out soon enough.
I glanced over as I heard the credits start, and Josh sighed, quickly clicking out of Netflix via his laptop, and quickly changing it to Sweeney Todd.
He had a play list apparently.
I felt my.phone buzz and fished it out of my pocket, seeing Jasons name. I grimaced, clicking the screen quickly.
I wasn't about to answer his call.
"What's your favorite color?"
I looked up at Josh and blinked.
"Blue." I answered thoughtlessly, and he grinned.
"Mine too! Isn't that cool? I already know we like similar music," he chuckled, his eyes drifting to my lap where I still held my phone. "So there's that. And movies, apparently, because you're not complaining about it whatsoever."
I liked good movies, what could I say?
I shrugged, looking down.
He huffed, and then suddenly he was grabbing my phone again, turning away from me.
"Hey!" I burst, scrambling for it immediately. "Give!"
"No," he laid back across the couch, and I crawled over his legs, flailing.
"What are you doing?" I demanded, my voice rising.
"I'm going through your phone to figure out what you like, since you won't talk to me," he informed, bracing a hand on my shoulder to hold me off him as I swatted.
All he would find was band pictures and screen shots off tumblr I found funny and ---.
"Give. It. Back!" I hissed, smacking his arm away from me and thoughtlessly climbing over his legs, my hand wrapping around his wrist.
I ignored his smug grin as I struggled, and I felt his hand close around my waist before he was forcing us to turn, and I eeked as he rolled, pressing me into the couch cushions under him, my shoulder pressed against the back so I had nowhere to go.
"Now," he grinned down triumphantly at me, "you have to talk to me."
I glared vehemently up at him, my hand clenching around his wrist still, my other pressed against his chest to keep him off me.
"Get off!" I hissed, tensing.
What was he doing?
I felt panic settle in my stomach, and I strained frantically against him, trying to push him off.
He gave a huffy sigh.
"Hannah, calm down already."
"GET OFF!"
"Stop panicking!" his hands suddenly clasped over mine where I pressed against his chest. "I'm not gonna hurt you."
He kept saying that, but he kept trying to kiss me and touch me and I didn't want him too!
"Please," I whimpered, cringing away from him. "Please."
He hesitated, then sat up immediately, and I scrambled up, falling off the couch and into the floor, crawling away from him.
"Hannah," he rose to his feet, his face uncertain all of a sudden.
"Don't touch me!" I stumbled to my feet.
I had to get out of here, I had to find somewhere safe ---.
I had to calm down before I gave myself a panic attack.
"Hey, it's okay," he told me quickly, his hands raised in a placating manner. "Just... Fuck, just calm down. I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry, I won't touch you, I swear to god."
I stared at him, my eyes wide, and he took two careful steps toward me, and I took a step back immediately.
"Hannah ---."
"What the fuck is with all the noise?"
We both looked over in surprise, seeing Chris looking pissed as he stepped into the doorway in a pair of sleep pants and nothing else, his hair messed like he'd gotten out of bed.
He froze as he saw me, looking surprised, and then he looked at Josh, and then me again.
"When did you get here?" he burst, looking like he suddenly felt awkward.
"She's been here, asshat." Josh scowled at him.
God, what time even was it?
I didn't even know.
"Wh--- are you okay?" Chris asked, staring at me. "What's wrong?"
I hesitated, and looked down quickly.
I needed to leave.
I glanced over at where my phone sat on the coffee table, then darted to it quickly.
God it was eleven, no wonder Jason was calling me.
I bet Hayley made him, probably worried about me.
"I'll drive you home. ".Josh said after a moment, lifting his car keys off the coffee table. "Come on."
He started away immediately, and I hovered in place a moment before hurrying after him, zipping past Chris, keeping my eyes on the ground as I did so.
We stepped outside, and I grimaced, seeing it was pouring rain, and Josh hesitated as lightening struck the ground.
I hadn't even heard the storm come in.