We Took the Fall

40: Keep You On Your Toes

“You could just wait for him to get home, you know” Esther teased as she stood beside Catalina, her eyes amusedly watching the blonde who bounced on the balls of her feet, her blue eyes scanning the terminal for any sight of the returning Atletico Madrid squad. It was strange, Esther doubted she had ever seen her rather timid friend so excited before, but she had to admit it was cute. Catalina had been counting down the days until Fernando’s return and Esther couldn’t resist the urge to tease her a little. Catalina had never been as excited as she was about Fernando’s return about anything else before.

“I could do” Catalina replied, pushing the pair of sunglasses she wore off of her face and into her blonde hair “But I would much rather wait here” she added.

Esther shook her head. “Have I ever pointed out that, when it comes to blondie, you’re like a giddy teenager with their first crush?” she chuckled.

Catalina rolled her eyes. “You’re just jealous” she refuted playfully.

Esther scoffed. “Of what?” she mused “I have Alex” she added.

Catalina smirked teasingly. “You think Alex and Fernando are in the same league?” she teased.

Esther shook her head. “You’re right. Blondie has nothing on Alex” she giggled.

Catalina offered her a laugh before she felt a hand cover her eyes, something which disorientated her slightly. “Guess who?” Fernando’s warm voice mumbled, causing Catalina’s body to relax slightly, aware that she wasn’t being led on by a stranger. Smiling a little, she peeled his hand away from her eyes and turned, her blue eyes looking up at him as though it was the first time that she had ever seen him.

“I am going to go and wait by the car” Esther noted “Not that either of you care right now” she added, strolling away from the pair.

Fernando smiled. “I can’t quite believe that you made Esther drive you here” he mused softly.

Catalina shrugged. “Alex is out of town. It’s not like she had anything better to do” she mused.

Fernando shook his head and placed a hand on her hip, steering her fractionally closer. “I’ve missed you” he quipped earnestly.

Catalina smiled. “That’s good” she mused.

“Aren’t you going to say it back?” he posed, his eyebrow quirked in both amusement and confusion.

“I am standing in an airport terminal when we both know it would have been easier to wait at home. Do I really need to say it?” Catalina teased, her arms wrapping around his neck gently. Fernando shook his head, laughing gently. “What?” she posed.

“You” Fernando smiled impishly.

“You’re laughing at me?” Catalina posed.

Fernando shook his head. “Of course not, nena. I was laughing at how adorable you are. I had forgotten after all these years” he clarified.

Catalina eyed him dubiously for a second before she pushed herself up onto her toes, greeting him with a light kiss. Fernando reacted sharply and placed his arms around her waist, holding her tightly to him as though she would disappear if he let go. Catalina grinned and pulled back, gently biting down on her lip. “I really missed that” she murmured.

Fernando smiled. “That explains the trip to the airport” he teased.

“Can’t I have just done it to be romantic?” Catalina sighed.

“You could have done” Fernando teased, moving to take her hand so that they could leave the airport “But I think we both know you came here because you’re impatient and after 12 days apart, you merely couldn’t wait to kiss me again” he chuckled, a smirk on his face.

Catalina rolled her eyes and shoved him lightly, something which made him smile. He’d missed her.

~#~
“You’re really great for driving her around, Esther” Fernando mused as he sat across from the brunette, smiling at her politely.

“I don’t really get much of a choice when you’re not around, blondie” Esther replied, peeking into the kitchen where Catalina stood, mumbling lowly to the stove as she attempted to prepare them some lunch.

Fernando chuckled. “Still not going to call me by my name then?” he posed, leaning onto his elbows.

Esther shook her head gently. She knew that it was silly, Fernando was clearly a nice man and Catalina clearly worshipped the ground he walked upon, but still she wanted to remain a little vigilant. Someone had to keep an eye on her, and with her parents seemingly having given up on her, Esther had assumed the role. Someone needed to keep Fernando on his toes. “Not until I can be sure that you’re not going to hurt her” Esther replied.

Fernando tilted his head. “Do I give you that sort of vibe?” he posed, his brow furrowed slightly.

Esther shook her head. “Not particularly” she noted “But someone has to look out for Lina and after Santiago’s failure to fight her corner and Marisol and Alicia’s bitch fit, it seems to be left to me. She’s the closest thing I have to a sister, blondie, and I am not about to let you hurt her all over again” she pointed out gently.

Fernando sighed. “I still have some convincing to do?” he posed.

Esther nodded. “I am not going to make you jump through hoops” she noted “I know that you care about her, it’s written all over your face, even now when she isn’t in the room, but I just want to keep you on your toes. Someone has to” she added.

Fernando mulled over her words for a second before he nodded, offering her a smile. “I am OK with that” he mused softly “And I want to thank you for being there for her, Esther. She’s been through a bit recently with her family and stuff and I am glad that she has you around too to make things easier for her. She’s lucky to have such a good friend” he enthused.

Esther smiled. “You’ve got a wonderful girlfriend, blondie” she mused.

“I know I do” Fernando replied, smiling bashfully.

“You know you do what?” Catalina chimed as she stepped into the room, placing a plate of food ahead of both Fernando and Esther.

“I know that I owe you a birthday present” Fernando replied, not wanting enlighten his girlfriend to his and Esther’s exchange. It was the sort of conversation that was meant to stay between the concerned friend and the boyfriend.

“I already told you that you don’t” Catalina replied, sitting at his side.

Fernando kissed her cheek and mumbled that he was going to do it anyways, something which made Esther smile softly. She doubted she would have an issue with Fernando.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)