Status: Active // weekly updates

Best for Business

Newfound Friendship

Friday is my last day with Seth. I won’t see him until Monday because of our conflicting schedules. I’ll miss him like crazy - I already know I will. When we were just friends our communication was constant, and I don’t expect it to be any different. Hopefully being away with him won’t be so bad.

Right now, we’re sitting at his kitchen table eating lunch. He’s telling me about the great restaurants around here. “I’m going to take you out and show you the city next time I get the chance,” He grins.

“I wish I took you to this burger place when we were in Chicago,” I tell him. He looks up at me and asks why. “It’s hard to find seating, but it’s incredible. It’s called Kuma’s Corner. The place is small and intimate, just as you’d expect it to be. They have these burgers that are outrageous but delicious. And the best part, the burgers are all named after classic metal bands. It’s the most perfect place, and I think you’d love it.”

“We should go there,” He smiles.

“Next time we’re in the city, I’ll take you.” We finish up our lunches. I’m somewhat sore from last night. Brie worked on my knee pretty well during my brief moments of distraction. I take our plates and set them in my kitchen sink. Even that simple motion pains my knee. I know it’s not a serious injury, but I turn to Seth. “I think I need to ice my knee?” It sounds more like a confused question than anything. I’m just surprised my knee still hurts.

He gets up from his seat and walks the short distance to me. “I’ll get an ice pack. Do you need a brace?” I shake my head and insist it’s just sore, but now he’s shaking his head. He takes a fancy ice pack from his freezer and picks me up bridal style. Between my laughs, I tell him how ridiculous he is.

He sets me on the couch and sits next to me. He repositions me so we’re both lying down, and I’m basically on top of him. I let out another laugh and kiss his cheek. Seth moves around the ice pack so it’s exactly where it needs to be. “I got you, baby girl,” He whispers in my ear.

I expected us to do something today, but we’re stuck here for a while. “I’m sorry we’re spending another day on your couch.”

He puts his arms around me and squeezes. “Don’t worry about it. I have all the time in the world to spend exploring cities with you. Rest your knee up today because I know you’re going to hit the gym hard tomorrow.”

“Can we take cute pictures here today like we would’ve in the city?” I ask him playfully.

He makes a face like it’s the last thing he wants to do, but he breaks character by laughing. “If that’s what you want,” He laughs again and kisses my nose.

I take out my phone from my pocket. We take some pictures, both goofy and normal. We even take cliche couple pictures of us kissing. I let Seth go through and delete the ones he doesn’t like, and he even sends the ones he loves the most to himself. “What are you going to do with these?” He asks.

I shrug. “I need a new background of my phone, first of all.” I point to a picture of him cross-eyed and I’m sticking my tongue out. “This is my background photo, whether you like it or not.”

“Which is your Instagram post?” He asks that. I laugh - he really knows me that well.

“I actually wasn’t going to post one today. Just for when I really miss you, like tomorrow,” I joke. “I need to get back to posting pictures of the destinations we go, and meet and greet photos of the ones who truly inspire me. Maybe some pictures of food and other coworkers, too, you know? If my Instagram was only you, everyone will start to believe that we’re that annoying couple.”

“I just like making everyone jealous,” He says, resting his chin on my shoulder. “But I get what you’re saying. My Instagram is mostly crossfit and my ex’s dogs.” He laughs, as if to add a lighthearted effect, but I think the dog comment hit him hard.

I lace my fingers with his hands. “We’re already making the world jealous, baby. I have the most perfect man by my side.”

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Seth’s cheeks turn pink. “I’m so glad to have met you,” He tells me.

I tell him the same thing, but then change the subject. I feel bad to bring up work, but our lives revolve around it. That’s what’s required in our line of work. “Seth, how do you keep your character so well? You’re nothing like your in ring self.”

He doesn’t even take a moment to think before answering. “You’re doing it, too, you know.”

“I know, but it’s not the same as you. It was weird for me to change into a person I feel like I’m not.”

I can feel him shrug. “I didn’t start being the bad guy. I was a happy, psyched guy before. Once becoming part of the WWE, I was in one of the most loyal tag teams. I was a fan favorite, you know. I was prepped months before and lowkey rehearsed for my new character. So, when it started, it didn’t feel like such a difficult thing to do.”

“I just started getting my character and it was weird at first. At NXT, I was always good. I was just wondering how you handled it, that’s all.”

“I can help you get into character, you know. I can get you to be the baddest woman to ever be in the WWE,” I look over to see him wink at me. I can tell he’s somewhat serious, and it makes me laugh.

“I couldn’t be bad to you, Seth.” He shrugs and tells me maybe I’m right, but he’ll help me if I ever need it. We keep our conversation on work a little longer. We talk about little things about the business, such as our upcoming tour and the potential conflict of our schedules after Summerslam. If we both come out as champions at the end, we’ll be working together almost always. The top people on the roster almost always stay together.

Seth’s phone vibrates. It’s across the room so I can grab it for him. I have to put my now melted ice pack back in the freezer anyway. I toss it to Seth on my way back to my seat. Upon checking his phone, he shoots me a surprised look. “Have you been talking to people about me or something?”

Confused, I immediately tell him no. “Why? What happened?”

He just looks back down in his phone, almost in disbelief. “Cena asked if I could hang on an off day, or sometime our schedules sync.”

“Maybe he likes you.”

Seth shoots me a look of doubt. “He and I have had more matches than genuine conversations. Are you sure you didn’t say anything to anybody?”

“Why would I? I don’t have to tell everybody around us how great you are. I may have an upset Nikki on my hands, but maybe he wants to reassure you he doesn’t feel the same way. I’m close with most of that family, you know. It’s not unusual for any of them to take an interest in you because you became a big part of my life.”

Seth sighs like he doesn’t believe it. “I don’t want to even know what it’s about. Can I decline?”

I turn so I can make eye contact with him. “That’s fine, babe. That’s your choice. But think it over a few days, because you never know.”

The situation doesn’t exactly make Seth comfortable, so we don’t bring it up again. We watch Seth’s favorite movies for most of the day. I can feel his discomfort and confusion all day, but I know I can’t stop it.

Even though I met Seth not too long ago, I do know he overthinks things and gets nervous easily. It worries me about him possibly missing great opportunities.