Status: Active but with slow updates

Best Friends

11

The second I sat down in my seat on the plane, I wanted to go back. Half of me just wanted to be with Katie while the other half wanted to go play some shows. I sighed as I buckled myself in. I was in the middle seat, in between Garrett and Pat. At least I had some good company.

"What's up, man? You miss your girl already?" Jared snickered as he turned around to face me. I glared at him.

"She's not my girl... and yeah.. I miss her," I said.

"What do you mean? Did you guys break up?" Pat asked. I looked at him.

"We were never together in the first place. We just kissed a lot," I shrugged.

"That's rough, man. I'm sorry," Jared said. I waved him off and he turned back around.

~~

The flight was long, and I wanted to go back to California and ask Kate to be my girlfriend, just to make it official, but now I couldn't. It was too late.

Within the first few hours of being in Massachusetts, I ran into a girl who was really really pretty. We talked for a while, and she made me forget about Kate for a while. She told me her name is Cristina.

We hit it off, and I found myself lying in bed next to her the next morning covered in only the hotel's sheets. Cristina was still sleeping soundly when I realized I'd fucked up big time. If Kate found out, she wouldn't want to talk to me ever again. I just sighed and rolled out of bed, and I walked to the bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror, and I rubbed my face. I stood there for about ten solid minutes before Cristina came sauntering into the bathroom. She smiled sweetly at me and kissed me gently, though I found myself wanting more.

Kate's POV~~

School Monday was very exhausting. John was on my mind constantly throughout the whole day. When my history teacher asked me who started World War II, I blurted out John's full name. John Cornelius O'Callaghan V.

"Who?" She asked. When I realized I'd fucked up, I blushed profusely and placed my head on my desk in shame. The class snickered as a whole, and I found myself wanting to cry... though I didn't.

When class ended, my semi friend Victoria jogged up to me and nudged me.

"Hey... who's John Cornelius O'Callaghan V?" She asked with a snicker. I glared at her, and she stopped smiling.

"Shut up," I told her. She looked taken aback.

"What's got your panties in a twist?" She asked. John was the only person who never got offended when I told him to shut up. Victoria, however, took it personally. I sighed and shook my head.

"You don't know him, Victoria. Better we keep it that way, huh?" I asked as I pulled my phone out of my pocket. She frowned.

"Whatever. If he's some famous dude that you're drooling over, you're never gonna get him. I promise you," she said, and she too pulled her phone out of her pocket. She typed in his name, and I had to stop myself from grabbing her phone and chucking it when she pressed enter. She scrolled through the pictures on Google of him, and she made a noise of interest.

"He's a fucking cutie, Katelynn... damn. No wonder you said his name in class. Who wouldn't be daydreaming about his fine ass?" She asked. I rolled my eyes at her.

"Shut up, Victoria. And for your information... he's my best friend. Now leave me alone," I said.

"It says he's in a band... The Maine? How do you know him?" She asked.

"We've been best friends since first grade. When I lived in a far much better state than this one. Arizona. I knew him before he got in the band. Now will you do me a favor-"

"So that means you have his cell phone number?" She interrupted. I glared at her.

"We're not friends. Stop talking to me and leave me alone. You're not getting his number," I said. She frowned as my phone rang, and I looked down. I accepted John's call before she could see, and I smiled.

"Hey John," I said. Victoria stared at me.

"Hey Katie. I have something to tell you," he said.

"What's that? Are you... are you drunk?" I asked him. He laughed in my ear, and I pulled the phone away from my ear a ways.

"Of course I'm drunk. I just called to tell you that I r..really want you to be my... my girl-girlfriend. You're so prettyful," he said. My jaw fell slack. What caused him to get drunk and why was he calling me? He wanted me to be his girlfriend?

"John... it's literally one in the afternoon. You have a show to play later, don't you?" I asked. He laughed again, and I smiled. His laugh was cute.

"Yeah... but I really really really really wanted to talk to you," he slurred.

"I think that maybe you should call me back when you're sober, okay? And get some rest. Don't want my man to be tired, now would we?" I asked.

"No ma'am. Umm... I'm gonna... gonna go to sleep. Bye Katie," he said. I hung up, and I looked at Victoria.

"That was him?" she asked. I nodded.

"Liar. You got a picture together?" She asked.

"Yeah. Follow me," I said, and I led her to the parking lot where my car was. I unlocked it, and I grabbed the picture out of my visor. I handed it to her. She looked at it, holding it gingerly.

"Wow... that's cute. I'm sorry about what I said," she said. I shook my head.

"Its not a problem. I just miss him and wish that I wasn't here right now," I said with a shrug. I put the picture back, and I locked my car back up.

~~

When the day came to an end, I walked into my house and set my keys on the counter with a sigh. I sat down at the table, and I rested my head on the cold surface.

"How are you, Katelynn?" My dad asked. I looked up at him before sitting up.

"I uh... I blurted John's name out in class today as an answer to who started World War II, and John drunk called me.. so not great," I said. My dad sat down.

"You said that John started World War II?" He asked. I nodded.

"You're in love with him, aren't you?" He asked.

"I wouldn't say that I'm in love with him... more that I love him. You get the difference?" I asked. He nodded.

"So, you love him, but not to the extent of 'oh shit, this is real'?" He asked. I smiled.

"Yeah.. I guess you could put it that way," I said. He left and my phone rang. I answered.

"Hey Katelynn... Whatever you do, don't watch the video of me that was posted to YouTube. Please," John said. I smirked and ran over to the computer, and I opened up YouTube.

"Tell me. What's it called?" I asked. John sighed, and he gave me the name. I typed it in, and I clicked on the video, watching intently.

John was on stage at the end of their show hugging the microphone stand while crying and calling out my name. I jaw fell slack.

"No you didn't," I said in complete awe.

"Yeah. I did. I was still drunk... and I'm sorry," he said. I laughed.

"John... did you mean it?" I asked. He hesitated.

"Yes."