A Song for a Soldier

002.

Image

(Zacky's P.O.V)

"Zacky. Zacky. Dude what are you staring at?" I shook my head as Matt attempted to shake me from my thoughts. "Sorry I'm just a little occupied. What's up? Is it time to go on?" I asked him. He shrugged his shoulders while smirking at me slightly. "Yeah it's just about time. I bet that girl is out there waiting for you." He wiggled his eyebrows and nudged me in the gut. I just rolled my eyes. "Well, lets get out there then." I said before I followed behind him and the rest of the guys over to the small auditorium where we would be playing. The entire building was jam packed with just about everyone who was stationed at this base once we walked inside.

Surprisingly enough though, I actually even started to feel nervous, and that almost never even happens anymore. "You guys ready?" The head sargent annouced to us. We all agreed in unison and got in our places before the lights dimmed and the curtains drew closed. We started off our set with "Burn It Down" and the whole place went absolutely crazy. The energy made us all feel completely pumped and ready for more. We played a few songs off of Waking and a couple from Sounding until finally it was time for it to come to an end. "So this last song is dedicated to all you men and women out here fighting to protect our freedom and our country. This song is called 'M.I.A' so sing along if you know the words." The entire room errupted into a loud uproar of cheers and whistles.

That's when I noticed Anna, sitting directly in the front row with a few of her friends that she had introduced me to earlier in the day. I couldn't help to control the huge grin that plastered itself to my face as I watched her sing her heart out as we played. She really was something else.

*****

"So I'm really glad you guys got the chance to play for us tonight. I never in a million years would have thought that I would be seeing my favorite band in the middle of a war." Anna laughed lightly as we walked around the base. We had a few minutes left until it was time for us to board our plane back to Europe and the guys insisted that I say goodbye to my "biggest fan." as they liked to put. "I know right? It's crazy, I never would have thought the same thing." I smiled. "So have you been to any other places besides Afgahnistan?" She put her hand on her hip and pressed her lips together, mumbling quietly to herself before answering me. "Sorry, I had to count. I've been to Germany, Sweden, Greece, Alaska, Texas, and California, obviously. I'm actually from LA." I raised an eyebrow at her with a small smirk tugging at my lips.

"Wow that's almost all the places I've been to too. No wonder I could tell your a city girl, you have that whole LA hipster vibe to you." I joked, seeing her roll her eyes before shoving me playfullly to the side. "I do not! I'm actually very different for you information." She stated 'matter-of-factly'.

We talked about anything and everything about our lives that we could think of until I eventually heard the guys start to call out for me. "I guess it's time for me to get going." I said with a slight frown. Anna just nodded and followed along with me back to where everyone was waiting.

"I'm really glad that I got to meet you, Zacky. Thank you for being such a hero and an inspiration in my life." She said as her voice started to crack some. I pulled her into my arms in a tight hug as she started to cry. "Hey I should be the one thanking you, you're out here putting your life on the line for us. So, thanks." She suddenly laughed and wiped away her tears on her sleeve. "Well you're welcome. And here, maybe if you have time, you could write me? I know you're really busy and all with touring but yeah you know, if you want." I put my hand on her shoulder and took the piece of paper from her hands, putting it in my pocket. "Of course I'll write you. And just so you know, it's pretty cute when you ramble like that. I like it." I winked, seeing her hide her face in her hands immediately.

"So I'll be waiting for that letter." She replied with a smirk. I smiled as we hugged one more time until I got on the small plane that was going to be taking us back to the airport. "See, I told you she was your biggest fan!" Jimmy exclaimed as he took the paper with Anna's address on it out of my hands and passed it over to Brian and Matt who made cooing noises like they were talking to a baby. "Shut up." I groaned before snatching the paper out of their hands and stuffing it back in my pocket.

I couldn't wait to get back on the bus so I could start on my letter to Anna. She was going to stay on my mind permanently.

But I definitely wasn't going to tell the guys that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Due to the positive feedback I've recieved so far I decided to update in less than 24 hours. I really hope you all enjoy and if you have any ideas or concerns or anything regarding this story and where you'd like to see it go, please feel free to let me know! feedback ls always welcomed! Thanks guys! :D