‹ Prequel: The Bird

Paradise

Chapter 4

SKYE POV

I cracked my eyes open, the lights only adding to the pounding in my head. I could feel the blood pulsating behind my eyes.

"Skye?"

I groaned, rolling on my side, squinting at the figure beside me. "What happened?"

"You had a seizure. You collapsed..." I remembered going down to my dad's lab, but the rest was fuzzy.

Warm but calloused fingers brushed the stray strands of hair that had fallen in front of my face. "How do you feel?"

"My head hurts." I grabbed Steve's hand before he moved it away from my face. "What are you doing here?"

"JARVIS called me shortly after you collapsed. I was-"

"Skye!" He was interrupted by my dad storming in the lab, followed by Dr. Banner. Steve immediately backed away from me

"How do you feel?" Dr. Banner asked.

"My head hurts. And I'm thirsty." I swallowed painfully.

"Be right back." My dad jogged out of the room.

"Look here." Dr. Banner held his finger up as he shined a light in my eyes. "Any other pain besides your head?"

"No...my back is kind of sore though."

"Well, you did hit the floor pretty hard."

My dad came back in, carrying a tray fill of shot glasses.

"Dad..." I groaned.

"It's chlorophyll. It's good for you." I eyed the dark liquid as he handed glasses around. I shrugged before downing it.

"Skye, do you remember anything before the seizure?" Dr. Banner asked.

"I remember going into the lab, but then it goes dark. Then..."

All three men in the room leaned closer to me around I debated telling them. My dad wouldn't let me out of his sight if I did, Steve would go on a rampage and Dr. Banner would want to run tests.

"Then what?" My dad had sat down so he was eye level with me.

"Then...I was floating. In space. There was this voice talking about being so close but how weak he was. That he needed all of 'them' to finally accomplish it. There was a bright flash of light and I was here again." I swallowed the lump in my throat and looked into my dad's eyes. "Dad, when I was in the hospital...when they said I was hallucinating...Loki, he was there. He said i was dying. He said he could heal me...every time I sleep..." The tears were rolling freely now. "Every time I close my eyes he's there, torturing me. I can't sleep because he'll find me."

I didn't miss the look between Dr. Banner and my dad, nor did I miss Steve's mumbled 'I'll kill him.' My dad pulled me into his chest, resting his chin on my head.

"Can we have a moment?" He whispered. I heard Steve and Dr. Banner leave. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I was scared. I thought he'd get bored and leave me alone if I tried to ignore him."

"It's not that simple. It's going to take a while to fix."

"Says the man who doesn't sleep."

"Hey, I flew a nuke into space and saved New York. I'm too busy...celebrating."

"I'm not six anymore, dad." I sat up, swinging my legs over the side of the exam table. "You can't always be 'celebrating'. You have a girlfriend now, remember?" I went to stand, but my legs gave out under me.

"This was much easier when you were younger." He said, steadying me.
"Look." I took his face in my hands. "Why don't we spend the night in the living room tonight? We'll watch movies just like we used to. Maybe we will both get some sleep." I rubbed my hands on his cheeks. "And you should shave. Daddy's got a scratchy face."* We both smiled. "Now, I have to pee."

XXXXX

"I really wish you could stay. I have to go dress shopping with Pepper Saturday."

"I thought girls like shopping."

"I like shopping when I'm not looking for something specific."

"Women are so confusing."

I pulled him into my arms, resting my head on his chest. He wrapped his arms around me, holding on tightly.

"You better come back, now. I've got a surprise waiting for you when you do."

"I'll make sure that he comes back." Natasha said, walking up to us. "It's time." She nodded at Steve before walking towards the quinjet.

Steve cupped my chin, running his thumb across my bottom lip a few times, his blue eyes boring into mine before he turned and walked away.

I watched the jet take off, hoping Natasha would keep her word. I always get a little nervous when Steve left.

"He's such a tease." I turned to face Happy. "And the worst part is he doesn't even know it." Happy opened the door to the Range Rover. "Not one word." I pointed at him before climbing in the back.

"My lips are sealed."