Would You Fall Too?

25: He Deserves The Best

“You did what?” Isla posed, her blue eyes peeking at Emilie who sat back on her couch, her stare trying to avoid Isla’s. She knew that Isla would be upset by it, if there was anyone more excited than Emilie about the fact that she had found someone to spend time with, it was Isla, but Emilie didn’t want to lie. It was bound to get back to Isla anyway, Sergio would more than likely tell Cristiano who in turn would tell Isla and she knew it would only prove to upset the blonde more.

“I broke up with him” Emilie murmured.

“Because of one little thing?” Isla pressed.

Emilie shook her head. “It was all the proof I needed to know that we were utterly mismatched, Lala” she protested gently “He’s this confident and bright guy who could charm anyone and me? I couldn’t sit in a room with his family for more than two minutes. He doesn’t need me and it seemed easier than letting things go on and me getting hurt in the long run when he eventually found someone who could give him what he deserves” she explained, tilting her head back a little. She knew that it was cowardly, she had jumped at the first sign of trouble, but to her mind, it made sense. She didn’t want to get hurt and to her, that was the inevitable end of their relationship.

“Emmy…”

“You don’t think I know?” Emilie muttered, cutting Isla off “The first good thing I have in a while, and I run away from it, but I know that this is the right call, Isla. He’s going to wake up one day and realize that he doesn’t need the girl who shakes when she tries to undo his shirt because he could have anyone that he wanted” she explained.

“But Em, he wants you” Isla reasoned “He’s wanted you for months” she added.

Emilie shook her head. “Probably as a rebound thing” she muttered.

“You don’t believe that” Isla quipped “If he wanted a rebound, do you honestly think he would have been as patient as he has been with you?” she posed.

Emilie shrugged. “I don’t know” she murmured.

Isla shook her head, leaning a little closer to her friend. “You know how he feels about you, Emmy” she noted gently “He looks at you like you’re the only person in the room, how can you just toss that away?” she posed softly.

Emilie rested her head back and sighed, her blue eyes closing gently. If she was honest, she didn’t quite know how she could just walk away from him, he was easily the best thing to happen to her for a while, but she knew that there was no backing out of her decision. The words were out there, the expression on his face couldn’t be undone, and it was merely something Emilie was going to have to come to terms with. He would find something better, something easier, and she wanted it for him. He deserved the best.

Isla watched her for a moment before she let her eyes wander around the room, landing on the bag of unopened gifts which sat beside the table. “You didn’t even open them?” she murmured.

Emilie shook her head. “I didn’t want to. I still have his gift upstairs somewhere” she muttered.

Isla carefully stood up and stepped towards the bag, lifting out the three neatly wrapped presents.

“What are you doing?” Emilie posed.

“I want to see what he got you” Isla shrugged “All I got from Cristiano was a skype call and a bottle of perfume” she added.

“Isla…”

“There’s no harm in looking, Emmy” she insisted, carefully peeling the paper away from the largest gift.

Emilie rolled her eyes and moved towards her, perching on the coffee table as Isla pulled out a box that Emilie immediately recognized. “He replaced those beaten up old shoes you always wear” Isla noted.

Emilie nodded, smiling a little.

Isla noticed the smile and turned back to the next gift, pulling the paper off to reveal a framed picture of the pair of them, Sergio and Emilie, at his Halloween party.

Emilie took the frame tentatively and ran her thumb over it, her teeth nibbling on the corner of her lip.

Isla picked up the third present and handed it to Emilie. “Go on” she coaxed gently.

Emilie swallowed and gently tore away the paper, her blue eyes scanning over the front of the book he had bought for her. It was one of her favorite stories, Emilie recalled telling him all about it when they’d first started spending time together, but it was the note inside that made her stomach flip a little. It was personalized, her name adorned the top of it, and the author’s signature was etched onto the bottom of the page, and it made Emilie sniff a little. He had clearly gone through some effort to get it for her.

“Emmy?” Isla posed.

Emilie handed the book over to her friend, her spare hand wiping her eyes gently.

Isla studied the book for a second before she looked back at Emilie. “Sweetie, are you sure that you don’t still want to be with him?” she posed gently. She could see that Emilie was touched, her cheeks were red and her blue eyes tearful, and it made Isla a little hopeful. She was sure that if Emilie just realized what a mistake she was making, then she could go and see Sergio and put things back together again, something Isla knew Emilie really wanted.

Emilie looked at her hands before she shook her head. “He deserves the best” she murmured “And that’s not me” she added before she stepped away, making her way up the stairs briefly before she appeared ahead of Isla, holding a small neatly wrapped parcel. “I don’t know if you’re going to see him, but if you don’t, could you give it to Cristiano to give to him. I don’t want it here anymore” she explained softly.

Isla nodded her head and took the gift out of her hand. “You know that you’re the best person for him, don’t you?” she posed.

Emilie shook her head. “I doubt that” she muttered “Just…make sure he gets that” she added with a look towards the gift in Isla’s hand.

Isla nodded her head. She wished she could make Emilie see that Sergio only had eyes for her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Luuuc_19 for the comment :)