Would You Fall Too?

40: It’s All Over Your Face

“Sergio” Charlie Smith noted as he pulled the door open, his eyes wandering over the frame of his daughter’s boyfriend as a small frown formed on his face. He knew that they were still together, Emilie had a habit of calling her mother at the end of each week to keep her updated, but still the older man was a little surprised to find the defender on the doorstep. Unless he was with Emilie, Sergio never tended to make a visit to his home and it made the older man slightly wary. There was no way that the reason he was there was good, not after barely 9 months of knowing Emilie.

“May I come in, Sir?” Sergio posed.

“Of course” Charlie noted as he stepped aside “What can I do for you, Sergio?” he posed as he showed him through to the living room.

Sergio took a seat on the couch before he sighed, his eyes peeking up at the older man. “I need your help, sir” Sergio murmured as he fiddled with his hands. He knew that there was probably little that they could do, besides being around Emilie for every second of the day, there was little he could realistically do to protect her from Jeremy, but Sergio wanted everyone around her to vigilant, even if Emilie did insist that they keep it quiet, he wanted everyone to be on the lookout.

“My help?” Charlie posed.

“Emilie told me about Jeremy” Sergio noted.

“She did?” Charlie poked, his voice a little surprised. It had taken Emilie more than a year to fully trust Isla and the blonde was her best friend, something which made Charlie more than a little surprised that she had told Sergio after only 9 months.

Sergio nodded his head. “She did” he confirmed “And I thought you ought to know that there is a chance that he could show his face again. His mother’s tried to speak to Emmy more than once and I would not be particularly surprised if he showed his face in the near future. That’s why I am here. Emilie doesn’t want to be coddled, she’s told me more than once that she doesn’t want to be treated like she could break, but I would like to ask your help to keep an eye on her. I’ve already spoken to Isla and a couple of my friends, but I figured you and your wife ought to know” he explained carefully.

“You think…”

“I know it, sir” Sergio interrupted “He’s going to try and see her and I don’t think Emmy would be able to handle that” he added.

Charlie sighed. “You’re really convinced?” he posed.

Sergio nodded. “All the signs would suggest it. His mother’s caught Emmy a couple of times and I figure it’s only a matter of time before he tries to do the same. I was hoping that you would keep an eye on her when I’m not around” he suggested tentatively. He knew that it wasn’t what Emilie wanted, the last thing she wanted was to feel as though people were babysitting her, but he wanted to make sure that people were keeping an eye on her when he wasn’t around. Chances were that Jeremy knew about him and knew that there was going to be times when he wasn’t at home with her.

Charlie nodded. “Of course” he agreed “How is Emmy?” he posed.

“A little shaken” Sergio noted with a small frown “She’s with Isla right now, but it took her about a week to fully calm down after the first time so I am expecting a similar week” he explained.

“And you look after her?” Charlie posed, a little impressed with the younger man’s affection towards his daughter.

“Of course” Sergio quipped as though it was the most obvious thing in the world “I hate seeing her cry and if there is something I can do to make her feel better, I try to do it” he insisted.

“You really do love her, don’t you?” Charlie posed as he leant back in his seat.

Sergio nodded. “I do, sir” he confirmed, a small smile on his face.

Charlie chuckled. “You know, I didn’t exactly picture you two staying together for this long” he mused.

“Why?” Sergio countered.

“Emmy’s not great with people, even before the mess that was her last boyfriend, she wasn’t exactly the most confident, and you’re you. I had a feeling that you’d become frustrated with her. You’d not be the first” Charlie explained. He had to admit he was surprised, after he had met Sergio for the first time, he had figured that the defender would find himself frustrated with Emilie, but he had to admit he was glad that he hadn’t. Sergio was good for Emilie and it appeared that she was good for him too.

“There’ve been moments” Sergio admitted softly “But then she smiles at me or tells me that she loves me, and I forget them. You’ve raised a lovely daughter, Sir” he insisted.

“Charlie” the older man smiled.

“Charlie” Sergio repeated.

“How long have you and Emilie been together?” Charlie posed as he leant forwards, taking a sip of the water bottle which sat on the coffee table.

“Almost 10 months now” Sergio quipped “She’ll debate it and say that we’ve only been dating for 7, but I count all of it. The dinners, to me at least, were dates” he explained with a smile.

“Do you have any plans for the future?” Charlie posed.

Sergio stilled a little at the question, his eyes a little wide.

“I don’t want you to feel pressured” Charlie noted, offering the younger man a smile “I know that you and Emmy will do things in your own time, but I would like to offer you my blessing, Sergio” he noted.

Sergio merely stared at him, a little awed.

“Emmy’s not stuck it out for very long with anyone and whilst I had my hesitations about the mess she calls her ex, I am less concerned about you. I can see it on your face, you love her, and that is enough for me. I am not suggesting you just get down on one knee right away, but if you ever feel the need, I want you to know that I give you my blessing to marry my Emmy” Charlie enthused with a kind grin.

Sergio blinked a couple of times before he smiled. “Gracias, Charlie” he noted.

Charlie shook his head and offered his hand out, something Sergio was quick to take, shaking it swiftly. “Just keep doing what you’re doing, Sergio” Charlie urged “She needs you” he added.

Sergio nodded his head, wordlessly insisting that he would.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Luuuc_19 and FootieJo for the comments :)