Secrets That She Keeps

We have to make a pact.

Emery's POV

Cobie and I stood in my parents room, neither of us knowing what to do. "I cant believe this. Do you think she knew that we knew what was going on? This is so bad Cobie, we need to call dad right now." I say while sitting down on their bed.

He walks over to the phone that sat on their nightstand and picks it up slowly. "Dad is going to be so upset Em. Maybe we should wait until he gets home. I don't want something to happen while he's out on a bounty." he says, concern clouding his face.

"You're probably right." I say quietly biting my fingernails and laying back on my parent’s bed, just staring at the ceiling. My heart and my life were broken. I knew that my dad would never be the same; none of us would be the same. I sit up asking Cobie to hand me the phone. He watched silently as I dialed my mother’s cell phone number.

I didn't know what she would say, but at this point I didn't really care. I heard her annoying voice say "Hello".

"You have some nerve mother. I cannot believe you would just walk out on your marriage and out of our lives so easily!" I yell into the phone.

"Emery, what on earth are you talking about?" she asks me.

I pull the phone back and look at it. I couldn't believe she would play the ignorance card on me. "What? Are you that stupid? Cobie and I came home and found you missing along with all of your belongings. So don't you play stupid with me. Don't think you're going to get off that easily mother, because I know all about the little house you bought in Maui and I know all about the two abortions you had!" I say giving her a moment to let it sink in.

I hear her sigh and hang up the phone.

The phone made a ‘thud’ as I threw it across the room, hitting the wall. I let out a scream in the process. "I cant believe that bitch." I say stomping my foot for good measure. Sometime during my little tantrum my father walks in.

"What is all the yelling about up here?" he asks walking into the empty bedroom. "Emery why--" he stops mid sentence looking around the room. "What’s going on? Where are Erin's things?" he asks walking around the closet.

"Daddy- " I start to say and he stops me with a look.

"No...Emery, don't say it. Don't say it because I knew it was coming." he says sitting down on his bed, putting his head in his hands.

I sit down beside him and lay my head on his shoulder. "I'm sorry Daddy. I'm sorry this happened this way... I should have said something earlier, I just didn't know what to do." I say quietly.

He lifts his head up and looks at me. "It’s not your fault baby. Your mother and I were growing apart every day that passed by. I knew she bought another house in Maui. I just chose to ignore it." he said giving me a small smile.

"So why did you let her get away with it." Cobie asks sitting down on the other side of dad.

"Son, I think when you're married you'll understand." he says looking over to Cobie and then back to me.

I let out a sigh of relief that at least I didn't have to explain the deed that I found. But I didn't know what to say about the abortion. Should I let it go or bring up another old wound. It was no secret that my father wanted more children. He came from a very large family himself. But my mother was never one to bend to another's wishes and she proved that by leaving today.

My brother looked over at me giving me that look, the one that said tell him everything right now. I just shook my head at Cobie mouthing that I wasn't ready to say anything.

My father stands up leaving the two of us sitting on the bed and just leaves the room. We found him later that day sitting on the beach just outside our back door staring out into the setting sun.

Cobie and I watched from the back porch, neither of us daring to bother him. "Are you ever going to tell him?" Cobie says still looking out across the sand.

"I cant... I just can’t break his heart again." I say, turning toward my brother. “Cobie , we have to make a pact, right here, right now that neither of us will EVER tell him.”

He sighs, turning toward me, “It’s your call, if you don’t want to tell him then we won’t.”

I threw my arms around his neck, squeezing my big brother tight, “I love you.”

He chuckled, wrapping his arms around me and replied, “Love you too Emmy.”