Status: Updates every Thursday. Let me know what you think in the comments.

Home, Sweet Home

Chapter Fourteen

Soon we were driving down the main road though town. All of the memories came flooding back. We were supposed to be meeting Ian at our favorite ice cream place, but I was more interested in getting the fries they made there. They were the best. Lily and I used to go swimming at the lake and then go there and get fries and milkshakes. Lily always got peanut butter milkshakes. Yeah I know she’s weird.

Just thinking about the fries were making my stomach growl. At the same time my excitement at seeing Ian was growing and growing the closer we got. By the time we hit the town line I was bouncing in my seat.

“Someone is excited to see their brother.” said Lily with a smirk.

“Nah I’m in it for the fries.” I joked.

Lily knew I had missed Ian and that I was really itching to see him. Especially after all that’s happened with him recently.

“Lies.” Lily exclaimed causing us to both laugh.

“Owww, it hurts. Don’t make me laugh, it hurts.” I said almost wanting to cry from both the pain and the laughter.

“I know remind me not to be funny anymore.” Said Lily one hand holding her stomach while the other controlled the car.

It wasn’t long before I saw the familiar windmill spinning on top of the hill signaling that we were close. My excitement was overwhelming. I felt Lily’s eyes on me every few seconds. She was getting a kick out of my excitement. I couldn’t help but smile. As Lily was driving up the hill I unbuckled the seat belt and grabbed to door handle.

“Please don’t open the door until I’ve come to a stop. Your brother will kill me if you break something from jumping out of a moving vehicle.” said Lily knowing my excitement can get ahead of me.

“Okay.” I said letting go of the handle.

She pulled into the closest spot and I was out of the door before she had even put the car in park. I scanned the crowd for a familiar face. There were many familiar faces, but one more so that the others. I saw him sitting at a picnic table. On the other side of the parking lot. I ran towards him. He saw me coming and stood. Just as I hit him, he picked me up and spun me around.

“You need a haircut.” I said when he put me down.

“So do you.” Said Ian picking up a few strands of my hair that had fallen out of my bun and giving them a tug. I didn’t say anything, I just clung on. Not just because I missed him, but because of everything that had happened with Alexa. It was almost like he knew that so he hung on to me too.

“Aww, you two are so cute.” I heard from behind us. I unwrapped one of my arms from around Ian’s middle to flip Lily off.

“Nah I’m good for now.” said Lily in response.

I wanted to stick my tongue out but that would just result in licking Ian and I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t appreciate that.

“You’re just jealous because you’re not getting in on this hug.” said Ian causing me to snort.

He had no clue Lily has had a crush on him forever, making it even funnier. I felt Ian laugh just after that meaning Lily must have flipped him off.

“I’m hungry.” I said finally letting go of Ian.

“I already ordered. Fries and a Pepsi for you and I and Fries and a peanut butter milk shake for the weirdo.” said Ian with a smirk.

Lily play glared at him.

We sat at the picnic table and talked for a bit. I sat beside Ian and Lily sat across from me. Most of the talking was the two of them firing questions at me. Things like what do I do for fun, how work is going, if I got lost living in such a big city. I was not impressed with the last one.

“I’m surprised you made it home to be completely honest. I figured you’d get lost in the airport and get on the wrong plane or something.” Said Ian teasing me about my sense of direction.

“Hey, I’m not that bad.” I said.

Both Lily and Ian gave me a look.

“I’ve gotten better. I promise. Plus Dan and Phil won’t let me get lost.” I said trying to convince them.

It was not working. When I mention the guys Lily excused herself to go to the bathroom not wanting to be around for the conversation that was sure to come.

“So you’re still friends with them?” Ian asked.

He wasn’t impressed that my best friends were both guys but that’s just the over protective brother in him.

“Of course I am. Phil is like a second older brother.”

Ian especially didn’t like the fact that Phil is in his late twenties. Ian is 27 and he seems to think that me dating anyone older than that is just wrong. He also won’t believe me that Phil doesn’t like me like that.

“And the other one?”

He dislike Dan even more. I don’t know why but I have a suspicions that he knows I like Dan. I don’t know how he would have found out about it thought.

“Dan doesn’t like me like that. We have had this conversation a million times and my answers never change and they never will. Dan is my closest friend back home and Phil is almost as protective of me as you are.” I said trying to get it through his head. “Plus if it weren’t for them, I would be down some side ally in London probably dead. Be thankful I have such amazing friends.”

“True, but I still wish you had some friends that are girls.” said Ian turning to his phone.

“I do.” I said.

I really didn’t want this to start to be a fight.

“Who then?” he asked looking at me like I was lying.

“Zoe and Louise. I don’t get to see them often but I do talk to them a lot. Then there’s Tanya. She and I don’t really hang out but we text sometimes. And then there’s Niomi. She and I go for runs-what?!” I asked a snorting Ian.

“You running. It’s the most hilarious thing I’ve ever heard. Sorry, continue.” Ian said with another snort of laughter.

“Niomi and I go for runs but that’s about it. I had coffee with Emily, one of the girls I work with.” I said with a glare.

“Okay but you don’t actually hang out with them.” He said.

“I would if I got to live closer to Zoe, but I work in London so it just makes sense to live with Dan and Phil. Plus the coffee shop is only a block away from the flat so I don’t have to get the underground to get to work. It saves money and I don’t get lost trying to decipher the underground maps.” I said.

Only when I had finished my almost rant, did I realize I had just told him that I lived with the guys. And I was worried about Lily letting it slip. I really hoped he didn’t notice.

“Wait, what? Did you just say you LIVE with them?” Fuck.

“Uh, yeah, my um, uh lease ran out and the landlord already had someone lined up so I couldn’t stay and the guys said I could stay with them until I found a place and I haven’t found one and the guys asked me to stay so I said yes so now I live with them.” This is when I inhaled.

“Okay, stop and breathe for a second. You basically got kicked out of your apartment?” I nodded in reply to Ian’s question.

“So they offered you a place to stay until you could find a place?” I nodded again trying my hardest to continue breathing.

“But then they asked you to stay?” He asked.

I couldn’t hold in my words any longer.

“Yes and I know you don’t like them but I had nowhere else to go. I can’t find an apartment in my price range and I didn’t want to come back here. London is where I belong. I know Mom and Dad don’t approve of my life choices, but one thing I’m sure of is I’m never going to live in the states again. London is my home. Even though I can’t navigate the underground, and I don’t do any better above ground, I’m more comfortable in London or even Brighton, than I ever have been here.”

“I know. I can tell. I just worry about you. I don’t like the idea that you hang out and now live with a couple of guys that I’ve never even met, but I’m glad you have friends that would take you in like that.” He said reaching his arm around me and putting it on my shoulders.

“Don’t tell Mom and Dad. They will literally have a cow.” I said.

“Wait did you just say lit-rill-y? Its lit-er-ally.” said Ian with a laugh.

“Okay shut up about the way I talk. When you’re surrounded with people that say things weird, you tend to take it on. Just wait the next time I’m here I’ll have an accent.”

“Oh yeah? Give me your best British accent.” Challenged Ian.

“The zebra literally ate the tomato.” I said attempting to recreate a sentence Dan once was asked to say. It was bad.

“I’m not even from England, and I know that that was terrible and would be extremely offensive if anyone was to ever hear you say that.” Ian said while holding on to his stomach from laughing so hard.

“Okay what did I miss?” said Lily joining us again.

“Sammie here has decided that she is now going to speak with a British accent form now on.” Said Ian.

It looked like he was going to cry from laughing so hard.

“No I’m not. You’re a jerk.” I said play punching his arm.

Just then a number was called over the speakers. Ian looked at his slip.

“Okay, I’ll go ahead and get the food.” He said standing and going to get the food.

“So what happened while I was gone?” Lily asked leaning in across the table and whispering to me like Ian could still hear us even though he was at least a hundred feet away.

“Well he was asking if I was still friends with Dan and Phil and I managed to accidentally tell him that I’m living with them.” Lily’s face looked horrified.

She knew how protective he was and it wasn’t just me. He was very protective over her too. Lily was like a second sister and he would be there for her just like he would for me.

“He took it well. He is actually grateful that they were so nice to have given me a place to go when I had nowhere else. He just doesn’t like the fact that I’m living with two guys he hasn’t even got to meet yet.” I said.

“Really? I didn’t expect him to take it that well.” said Lily her shock evident on her face.

“I know, and instead of continuing on with the conversation, he dropped it and moved on to making fun of how I say words now.” I said with a pout.

“You mean the literally thing?” Lily asked.

When I had called her a few weeks ago and she asked me to come and visit, I had used literally in a sentence. She made fun of how I said it so hard. She made the joke that I was becoming more British than American. Now I knew what she meant by that.

“Yeah. The literally thing. Then he asked me to say something with an accent. It was horrid.” I said hiding my face in my hands causing Lily to laugh.

“What did you say?” I was really hoping she wouldn’t ask.

“I’m not doing it in the accent but I said the zebra literally ate the tomato. It was bad and I mean really bad. If there had been anyone from England around, they would have thrown things at me.” I said.

“Oh my god.” Said Lily laughing.

“Did you try to say something else in the accent?” said Ian putting down our tray of food. I ignored him and dove straight for the fries. I was so hungry.

“Oh I see. Food is more important than acknowledging your own brother’s existence.” said Ian trying to make me feel bad.

I ignore him.

“It’s like she’s making out with them.” said Lily from across me.

I flipped her off while simultaneously shoving fries in my mouth with the same hand. Now that’s what I call talent.

Ian, Lily and I had a really good time chatting about things that didn’t really matter. Ian and Lily’s favorite sport is called pick on Sammie, so there was a lot of that going on but I managed to get a few good ones in there. Living with Dan and Phil did have its upside apparently. It has made me more quick witted so I actually have a fighting chance at defending myself when Ian and Lily feel the need to attack me.

We talked for a good three hours before Ian decided he need to go home. Lily and I had planned on riding around but she and I quickly decided that we had spent enough time in a car for at least a couple of days. So we decided to go home as well. At the car I had a really long hug with Ian. It was almost like he felt he needed to hug me in case I got on a plane to go home tonight.

“I haven’t seen him laugh like that in a long time.” said Lily once she and I were both in the car and out of Ian’s earshot. “I missed his laugh.”

“Has it really been that long since she broke him?” I asked.

“Yeah it’s been almost two months since she broke it off with him. He hasn’t been the same since. It’s almost like you being here had gotten him out of his funk.” said Lily.

The rest of the ride home was silent. I thought about all of my plans for the next two weeks were. Lily and I had planned on a trip down to Boston depending on if she could get time off from work, Funtown Splashtown, a trip Down to Portland for some shopping, and lots and lots of swimming. Ian had said that Mom and Dad would probably want to have a family dinner in the next few nights. I made a mental note to call my Mom when we got back to Lily’s.

She and I sang along to the radio. Although I love Dan and Phil, I missed having someone I could sing along to the radio with and not feel like I need to purposely be bad. I know that I don’t have to when I’m around them but like I’ve said before, I hate the spotlight. I don’t want them to know I’m musically inclined. Plus it’s fun to sing like an idiot.

Once at Lily’s, I called my Mom. She hadn’t told my Dad yet and I asked for her to keep it a secret. I was going to come over for diner tomorrow night and she even said Lily was invited. The rest of the night, Lily and I just lounged around the house. She and I watched some of our favorite movies and by the time we were done with that, it was dark out and Lily had managed to pass out on the couch.

I didn’t want to wake her so I just went into the other room. I looked at my phone for the first time all day and I had three texts from Dan.

Hey just wondering if you landed yet. Text me when you get this.

I’m assuming you didn’t get my last text. I need to know if you landed.

If you died in a plane crash I’m gonna kill you.


I laughed at the last one.

Hey, yeah I landed. Sorry I left my phone at the apartment charging. Are you even still awake?

I pushed send and laid down on Lily’s bed with my phone in my hand. I didn’t feel tired at all. Probably because I slept on the plane and in the car. I felt my phone buzz in my hand.

Yeah I’m still awake. I’ve been pacing.

I didn’t know if I should ask because this is around the time that he fell asleep most nights but I did anyway.

Can I call?

I didn’t get a reply. Instead my phone started buzzing repeatedly signaling that I had a call.

“Hey.” I said into the phone.

“Hey.” Came a very familiar voice from the other end.

“How is it having just Phil to keep you company?” I asked expecting some sort of witty bant in return.

“Not the same. You’ve literally been gone less than twenty-four hours and I already miss you.” I was shocked at his seriousness.

“If it makes you feel better, ever since the plane took off I’ve been counting down the hours until I’m back on UK soil. I love my family and want to spend time with them, but I miss home.” I said.

I guess this was going to be a deep conversation.

“Yeah well I’m afraid you’ll have so much fun there you won’t want to come back.” said Dan.

I couldn’t tell if he was joking or being serious.

“Nah you’ll just miss my pancakes and having someone to do the dishes.” I said choosing the joking option.

“No. if you stay there I’d miss you. This flat, London, this country, wouldn’t be the same without you. If you moved, I think Phil and I would have to follow you there. It’s like you have become such a big part of mine and Phil’s lives. I really can’t imagine going back to you not living with us let alone you not being in our lives anymore.”

“Dan, your hurting all of my feels. You sound like you need a hug.” I said.

“A hug wouldn’t hurt.” He replied.

“Okay do me a favor?” I asked.

“Sure.”

“Go up to my room and tell me when you’re there.” I said. I heard some heavy breathing letting me know Dan was going up the stairs.

“Here.”

“Okay are you in my room?” I asked.

“I am now.”

“Okay go over to the bed, you can get on it if you want, and under one of the pillows you’ll find a pillow pet. It’s a panda. Let me know when you find it.” I heard him sit on my bed and ruffle around a bit.

“Okay found it.” He said.

“Now what I need you to do is give it a really good hug and imagine I’m hugging you back.” I heard silence on the other end.

“Are you hugging it?” I asked.

“Yeah.”

“Is it working?”

“Surprisingly.” said Dan with what sounded like a smirk.

I laid like this with my phone and Dan on the other line for a while. We didn’t really say much, but we were both taking comfort from the other just being there. If Lily saw this, she would tease me for listening to him breathing, but honestly it was one of the most comforting feelings ever.

It wasn’t long before I fell asleep to the sound of Dan’s breathing. By the sound of it he was asleep too. That night I didn’t dream. I slept so deeply that I don’t think even Lily screaming at me could have woken me up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Update twelve. I ate all of the bread stick and now I feel sick but it was totally worth it.
Thanks for reading!