Best Friends for Life

In Good Times and Bad

When I got to the coffee shop the next day I sat at the same table waiting for Hunter. I hadn’t seen him in forever but I was glad that I had run into him. After Susie and Cody’s wedding that spring, I went back to college and I couldn’t have felt more alone. They were off on their honeymoon and Hunter and I still weren’t really talking. That summer Susie found of she was pregnant with twins. It was insane to think that here were two of my best friends having a baby, no two babies, already.

Junior year at college was rough. Susie and Cody were busy with baby stuff so I was basically cut off from everyone. The classes I had to take were harder than ever and heaped so much work on me. It all became so overwhelming. It was literally the worst year of my life. But that year I met Richie and he saved my life. The twins were born in January. They named then Eric Hunter and Sarah Jessica. I wasn’t a big baby person but they were really cute. They were so small. That was the last time that I had seen Hunter. We both were there after the birth to welcome them into the world. I watched as Hunter held Eric. The baby so small and content in his arms. God it was an amazing sight.

Hunter walked into the café as I was reminiscing. The thought of baby Eric in his arms. Eric, not more than five pounds, cradled close to Hunter’s chest.

“Hey,” Hunter greeted as he saw me at the table. “Come on.”
He gestured me over and grabbed my hand pulling me out the door.

“Where are we going?” I asked as he led me away from the shop. I was confused and overwhelmed feeling his hand in mine.

“To my house. That’s ok, right?” he asked.

I nodded. “Yeah and where is this house of yours?”

“It’s not far from here.” He led me to his truck and opened the passenger side door for me.

“Thanks.” I got in as Hunter walked around to the driver’s side.
He backed out and we were on the way to his house.

I wasn’t expecting to go to his house but I was even more surprised when we arrived at his house. It was bigger than I expected for a bachelor like Hunter. It was like a real house similar to the houses we’d grown up in.

I followed Hunter up to the door. “Welcome to my home.” He opened the door and led me into the living room. “Have a seat.
Do you want a drink?”

“No thanks.” I took a seat on his couch. “How big is this place?”
I was looking around at the living room and it was comfortable. I don’t know why but it screamed Hunter.

“It has three bedrooms, a study, two and half baths. Kitchen, dining room, living room. Working on fixing up the basement into an entertainment room.”

“Wow.” I couldn’t help it. It was like Hunter was an adult or something. It was weird to think about Hunter that way. We always would joke around and argue like five year olds. This new Hunter with a nice house and beard was kind of freaking me out. I missed the old Hunter that I used to know.

“Are you sure you don’t want a drink? I have orange soda.” He smiled.

“Well if it’s orange soda.”

“Great, I’ll be right back.” He walked off into the kitchen to get the soda. When he returned he had a can of orange soda and a can of root beer. “Here’s your orange soda.” He handed the cold can to me and I opened it taking a sip.

“You know root beer is better than orange soda.” Hunter replied opening up his drink.

“It is not. Orange soda is so much better.”

“Root beer is,” he answered.

“Is not!”

He chuckled and I couldn’t help but laugh too. It looked like some things never change.

“God I missed that laugh so much. Glad to see you haven’t changed.” He smiled at me and god it felt like we were back in high school. I felt like our faces were getting closer together.

“Yeah glad to see you’re still an idiot.” I brought the can to my lips taking a sip. We weren’t about to kiss that had to be in my mind. I was married. I couldn’t kiss Hunter. No matter how bad I wanted to.

“I am not an idiot. I have a college degree that means I’m smart. Look,” his arms fanned out showing off the house. “I bought this really awesome house. Not an idiot.”

“Hmm. I don’t know about that. I guess we’ll have to see.” It was really awesome to finally be really hanging out with Hunter again. We talked and goofed around like we used to. I was enjoying myself so much that I lost track of time. When I finally noticed, it was later than I normally stayed out.

“Shit!” I exclaimed making Hunter stop.

“What?”

I quickly jumped up from the couch. “I have to get home. It’s getting late. Can you drive me back to the coffee shop?”

“Yeah.” He grabbed his keys and we were out the door. “Why don’t I just drive you to your house? Where do you live?” I hesitated telling him. I really didn’t need Richie to see me come home in someone else’s truck. But maybe we could get there before he got back.

“Um…” after thinking for a second I gave him the address. As soon as the truck was parked I rushed out.

“Thanks, I had a great time.”

Just as I was about to close the door Hunter shouted, “Wait. I don’t have your number or anything to get in contact with you.”
I looked over at the building then back at Hunter.

“I really don’t have time. I’m sure we’ll run into each other again. Bye Hunter.” I closed the door and ran into the apartment building and up to our apartment. I closed the door relieved that I didn’t see Richie. I took a moment to breathe. I thought I was good until I saw him coming out of our bedroom.

“Where the hell have you been?” he shouted. Shit this was
bad. “Haven’t I told you that you should be home when I get home?” He advanced toward me and gripped my arm. “Huh?” he started to roughly shake me. “How many times have I told you and you don’t fucking listen.” He dragged me into the kitchen and dropped me to the floor. “Get to making my dinner, bitch.”

--

The next day I thought about going to the coffee shop since I’m sure that Hunter would be there. My arms were sore from last night when Richie gripped me a little too hard. I stay in bed all day and only got up to make Richie’s dinner before he got home. As we sat down to dinner Richie had a frown on his face. “Jess,” he started. “Jessie. Baby I’m so sorry about last night. I’ve just been crazy stressed out from med school. There’s so much pressure and work. You know what that’s like.”

I do know what it’s like. I know what that kind of stress can make you do. What it almost made me do. I can’t really blame him for his attitude when he has so much on his plate right now. His parents putting pressure on him to become a doctor, the work load that comes with med school. If it wasn’t for him I couldn’t have handled the stresses of just regular college let alone med school. I couldn’t imagine how tough that was on him.

“I know. It’s okay.” A small smile graces my lips.

“It’s not okay. I was an asshole. I’m sorry.” He leant over and gave me a kiss. “To make it up to you. I got you a little present.” He pulled a small box from his pants’ pocket. I opened up the box and found a beautiful necklace, two golden hearts intertwined.

“It’s pretty.” I smiled.

“Just like you.” The next thing I know his lips are back on mine, hungry and wanting. We’re up and away from the table heading into the bedroom. Clothes being thrown away as he’s eager to have me.

I wake up the next morning naked. Richie already headed to his class at med school. I take a shower and get dressed heading into the kitchen to make some breakfast. I see the box containing the necklace. I opened it and look down at the two hearts as my toast is cooking. Things have gotten kind of strained between me and Richie these last few years but he was there for me when no one else was. He was the kindest person I knew those last couple years of college. He was so sweet and caring. He helped me through the darkness and the loneliness. It would only make sense to be there for him now that he needed me. In good times and bad times.
♠ ♠ ♠
In case you haven't already noticed, this story has some mature themes and situations that are going to occur. Just a little warning.