Sons of Gotham

Take another wretched soul on the hell-ride

“Welcome to Gotham City PD. I’m Commissioner Gordon.” The man in front of me says, shaking my hand as I enter his office. “It’s pleasure to have you aboard, Agent Novack.”

“Please, it’s just Annie,” I insist,” I haven’t been an agent in about a year. And I don’t think criminal profilers get an official title. If they do, it’s probably just Officer or something like that.”

“Did you get an office title in the FBI?” He questions as both of take a seat.

“Special Agent,” I reply. “Criminal profiling wasn’t just a set person’s job. Every agent did it.”

“What made you look in this line of work?”

“When I was ten, both of my parents were gunned down. The killer was never found.” I reply. “Since then, I worked hard and got good grades. I managed to graduate high school with my Associates degree thanks to Dual Enrollment and started college soon after. I majored in Criminal Psychology and minored in Criminology anthropology. The criminal mind always interested me.”

“Why Gotham?” He questions. “You applied to this job, it’s not like we sought you out.”

“I got to study the crimes of the biggest terrorists in all of the world,” I start out. “I helped agents bring down eco-terrorists and big names in all aspects of crime and working for NYPD didn’t make me complete. I know Gotham’s history of crime. You have people like Joker running around and then you have Batman who is trying to single-handedly help out but sometimes making matters worse. This is the job I need.”

“You do know there is a whole entire department in GCPD that is trying to take the likes of Batman down?” He questions me. “Do you believe he’s a criminal?”

“Technically, he is a criminal but he’s what a crime ridden city needs.” I reply. “If I have to, I’ll help take him down. But if I’m to be honest, Commissioner Gordon, it’ll be only because I find him fascinating. A man dressing up as a bat to protect his city; he could be crazy or a genius or both. I rather study him than condemn him.”

He looks at me and a faint smile appears on his lips, “welcome to Gotham, Annie. I’ll have another officer show you where your office is going to be located.”

“I don’t get just a desk like everyone else?” I question. “Because that’s all they gave me in New York.”

“You said it yourself, New York doesn’t have criminals like we do. We could use all the help we can get and we appreciate the help we do get. So yes, you get your own office to do with as you please.”

“Thank you Commissioner,” I smile. He returns it before hitting a button on his phone,

“Send in Officer Grayson.” He tells his secretary. “I need him to show Miss Novack to her office…”

**

“You called me Commissioner?” Some guy asks as he walks into the office. He has dark hair, bright, kind eyes and a smile that lights up the warm. He’s different than the other cops I’ve seen in this building. He’s not jaded or corrupted.

“Officer Richard Grayson, this is our new criminal profiler, Annie Novack.” Commissioner Gord says, introducing us. “Please show her to the office. Dent’s old office.”

“With pleasure,” he smiles and makes a motion to the door. “After you m’lady.”

A chuckle escapes my lips as I walk out the office with Officer Grayson right behind me.

“You can call me Dick.” Officer Grayson says as we start our journey. “No one ever calls me Richard. Not even when I’m in trouble.”

“Okay, Dick.” I smile. “What’s up with all the stares I’m getting?” I ask, noting all the stares -glares- from my fellow officers.

“Not all of them are on the same side,” he whispers. “Most are probably worried about you putting away the people they actually work for.”

“If there is so much corrupted people working here, why doesn’t someone do something about it?” My voice is low, low enough for Dick to hear me.

“No one is tough enough to stand up to the real people running this city,” he sighs.

“No one but Batman, huh?” I smirk, earning questioning eyes from Dick. “I didn’t come to Gotham without doing my homework.”

“Yet you still came,” he chuckles. “I’m not sure if that’s bravery or stupidity.”

“Why can’t it be both?” I laugh just as we walk into an empty office in the far end of the building. The name on the door reads Harvey Dent; Two Face. I can feel the color in my face drain.

“Don’t worry about this,” he assures me. “Gotham isn’t a place to believe in old superstitions. It’s just an office.”

“He was suppose to be Gotham’s White Knight,” I mutter as I walk into the office with Dick following right behind me. I notice a gift basket sitting on my desk. “From you?”

“Welcome to Gotham.” He smiles before walking out of the office, closing the door behind him. A chuckle escapes my lips as I sit down at my desk, eyes scanning the blank walls. Things are about to change…

**

“Honey, I’m home!” I announce as I walk into the apartment, slamming the door behind me. One by one the cats come running towards me. Ali comes walking into the living room with a large bowl in her hands.

“Welcome home, how was work?” She ask as she starts to mix whatever is in the bowl.

“What are you doing?” I ask. “Since when do you play Suzie Homemaker?” She glares at me as I laugh. “Seriously what are you making?”

“Brownies.” She smiles. “Chinese Food is on the kitchen table. “I’m not that much of a homemaker, don’t expect a home cooked dinner.” With a laugh she disappears off into the kitchen. Shaking my head, I head into my bedroom, stripping off my blazer and holster. I kick off my shoes and head out into the living room.

“How was work?” Ali asks over General Tso chicken. “Take down any bad guys?”

“Nope,” I reply with a mouth full of Spare Ribs. “But I did get invited to a gala.” I toss her the invitation. “Bruce Wayne is throwing it to help the PD raise money.” I swallow the food in my mouth. “You’re coming with me right?”

“You’re giving me a reason to dress up nice and obtain gossip about the people in this town,” she smiles. “Of course I’m in. When’s the gala?”

“Friday night,” I smile. “You have just enough time to get a dress.”

“I already have the perfect dress,” she laughs. “For the both of us. Friday night is going to be a blast…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Annie

comment&subscribe?