‹ Prequel: Vodka and Lemonade
Sequel: Rum and Coke
Status: Completed

Gin and Juice

Nine

We met Kale right at the ballroom doors. I ran up to him and punched him before grabbing his face with both of my hands and shaking it with all my might.

“Never again, Kale James Kingsley. Do you hear me? That’s the last time you volunteer me for something!” I gave him an extra punch for good measure.

“Love you, too, Danni,” he wheezed. “come on, we were shoved into the foyer for practice and warm ups.”

I raised my eyebrows. “Why?”

“Have you not seen what it looks like in there? And the noise! Gah! You can’t hear yourself think, let alone shout out instructions. Besides, the foyer is more than large enough. This way,” he grabbed my elbow and guided me through the house. “All right, I want you to go ahead and look at the dancers. Something looks odd in the middle of the routine and I just can’t place it. I’ll work with Brian.”

Confused, I just nodded and headed over to where the dancers were. “Alright, places. Let’s see what has Kale’s feathers ruffled. On my count. 5-6-5-6-7-8.”

Kale was right, something was off in the middle section.

“Stop, I think I’ve got it. David, come here. Don’t worry I won’t kill you. Let’s start after the lift. Girls, pay close attention. Instead of doing what you were, cha-cha with your hips for two counts, fan kick, toe up, rock back, twirl, push.” I instructed, going through the motions as I talked. “Let’s see it.” I let David go and watched them. “Good. From the top on my count again. 5-6-5-6-7-8.” They went through the routine. I felt Kale behind me for most of the routine. “Excellent! That looks so much better! Let’s try it with everyone and the music.”

“I need to speak with you later,” Kale muttered into my ear before I went to my spot.

“That’s fine, now if you don’t mind, I have a dance to do.” I replied back. I took my spot and cued the music. Everything went flawlessly, for once in my life.

Smiling, we, as a crew, walked back to the ballroom. Kale slung his arm around my shoulders. “So, I had an interesting chat last night.”

“With who, exactly and why were you talking about me?” I asked, knowing Kale a little too well for my liking.

“You know me too well.”

“So I was just thinking. Get on with it.”

"Well, Brittany just quit, so we have a choreographer position open. Will you be willing to take it?”

I stopped dead in my tracks. Smiling, Kale turned to look at me. “Wait, what happened to only hiring in the company?”

He shrugged. “I’m the boss. My word is golden. And I want you there with me. I mean. Look what we’ve done together. It’s amazing. We’re sure to get a VMA no sweat.”

“They really give out awards for this kind of choreography in this kind of video?”

“Who said anything about a sub genre? I was talking about the big prize,” he said, opening the door for me.

"I'm happy where I am, Kale.”

“You’re happy teaching snot-nosed kids and uncoordinated old farts how to dance? Danni, don’t lie to me.”

“I’ll think about it, Kale. Okay?”

He pursed his lips. “Okay, the door’s always open for you.”

“Thanks, I better get into place before Mark yells at me.” I smiled and walked away. “Oh, and thanks for everything, Kale. I mean it.”

He shrugged. “It’s what I do.”

I smiled at him and took my place. I couldn’t believe what was happening to me. The only thing standing in my way was the demon in front of me.

“CUT! Danni, what the hell? The music started!” Mark yelled.

“Sorry, I wasn’t ready.” I need to stay focused.

“Are you ready now?”

“Yea. Cue music, please.”

Mark gave me a look and gestured for the music. As soon as the opening chords started, I danced my way to my demons. As soon as he touched me, my senses were flooded with memories.

“I can’t believe you! He was one of my best friends!” Brian yelled.

“I swear, it wasn’t my fault! Just listen to me for once, god dammit!”

“No! You cheated, Danni. That’s it.” He threw up his hands and walked away.

“That’s not it, fucker!”I screamed at him, pulling him around to face me.

“Get the hell away from me! I should have known better than to date a whore- your kind always fall back into nasty old habits.”

“Bri, I fucking love you! I told you that last night!”

He spun on his heel and glared daggers into me. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m leaving. By the time I get back, I want you and all your shit gone. Got it?” He seethed before walking out the door, making sure that it slammed behind him.

I fell to my knees and cried. I honestly did love him
.

“DANNI! WHAT THE HELL IS WITH YOU TODAY?!”

“Just, give me a sec, okay?” I asked in a weak voice as I walked out of the room.

What the fuck is wrong with me? I was perfectly fine yesterday and at practice today. What the hell changed?
♠ ♠ ♠
Two updates in one day. Shocker, I know. MAJOR drama in the next chapter... and somethings will become clearer. Hope you enjoy! Comments= faster update