‹ Prequel: Centuries

Hello

I Was Wondering

Patrick Kane stood in the hallway of the hotel with his hands in his pockets. His curly blonde hair rested under the hat he had shoved onto his head before walking out the door. He aimlessly kicked at the carpet, movement from inside the room the only thing keeping him there.

After reading about Frank Mikaelson and hearing Erica retell the story from the day before, he did a little investigating. He needed answers, needed visual proof, and the second the door opened he felt his heart leap to his throat.

“Well look who it is.” She leaned against the door with a lopsided grin. “Patty Cakes.”

“Winnie.” So many emotions ran through him in that moment he wasn’t sure what to say.

“Come on in!” She moved out of the way to let him pass before shutting the door lightly. The Westin was well known for their high class rooms overlooking the city with floor to ceiling windows. The carpet was mush under his shoes and without looking he knew the bathroom was bigger than his own. A king sized bed lay with the blankets unkempt and a dog in the center. The husky lifted its head and made a soft noise. “Go ahead.” With permission, Gatsby lifted himself from the mattress and jumped to the floor, his nose nuzzling into Patrick’s hand.

“Hey buddy,” he said scratching the dog behind his ears. “I’m surprised they let you bring him up.”

“It’s amazing what a last name and little bit of money can do,” she said with a shrug. He noted her shorter hair, the tattoo on her collarbone, and the nonchalant way she plopped down on the bed. “What brings you?”

“You’re not the least bit surprised that I’m here, are you?” He moved across the carpet with Gatsby at his side joining Winnie on the edge of the bed.

“It was going to be you or Kez,” she answered running a hand through her shoulder length cut. “I figured one of you would find me.”

“I’m sorry, about your dad.” He continued to pet the dog who now rested its head on his lap.

“Thanks. It was, difficult, but I think we are all dealing differently.” Winnie bit the inside of her cheek. “How are the wedding plans?”

“You got the invitation?” He didn’t hide the shock in his voice.

“My mom called me.”

“They’re definitely a lot more stressful than I expected. Keziah is taking full control.”

“I expected nothing less,” Winnie laughed.

“She is having problems finding a dress though. I think that’s freaking her out the most with the wedding being three months away.”

“I thought she had one picked three years ago?” Winnie saw the confusion pull his eyebrows together. “She had this book full of wedding plans stuffed away in her drawer. There was a dress in there she had circled about eight hundred times.”

“She said it was discontinued or that the designer wouldn’t make another one, something like that.”

“I’m sure she’ll find one soon,” Winnie said with a shrug. The awkward tension was forming very quickly. “What can I do for you?”

“I have a million questions,” Patrick began, “why were you gone? Why didn’t you call? Where did you go?”

“Alaska,” Winnie responded first. “I went to Alaska.”

“What the hell is in Alaska?” Patrick didn’t mean to sound condescending but she picked up on the tone.

“A new start,” she snapped. “A clean slate to do what I wanted, to be who I wanted.”

“Sorry, I’m just, you disappeared for two years. Keziah basically broke down and I don’t even want to get started on Jon.”

“I did what I needed to do. Things weren’t going in the right direction for any of us. I let it all go. Nobody knew who I was or how much I was worth. I lived in a single room shack surrounded by snow and trees.” She hid her reaction to his name very well despite the blood pulsing in her ears.

“Why didn’t you contact us?”

“What good would it have done?” Winnie stood from the bed and paced. “Calling just reopens the can of worms we screwed shut.”

“I don’t understand.” He followed her motions and stood. Gatsby whined from the lack of his touch.

“I think it’s time for you to leave.” Winnie took a deep breath and snapped her fingers, Gatsby trotting over to the end of the bed and laying down. “I’m afraid if we continue then things will get out of control.”

“I just have a hard time grasping how you could abandon your friends without so much as a second thought.” He rubbed his face and let out a breath. “I shouldn’t have come.”

“If you didn’t, Keziah would’ve, and as much as I know this hurts, it’s for the better she doesn’t know that I’m here at all.” She grimaced. “I’m not staying. Friday is the final board meeting discussing the release of the company. My flight leaves Saturday afternoon.”

Patrick stared at the girl in front of him and frowned. “If I hadn’t come today, would you have sought us out at all?”

“No.” She shook her head and he scoffed. His footsteps were masked by the floor but the anger flowing through him was very apparent.

“Maybe you’re right, her not knowing is better. Because if she saw who you’ve become, she wouldn’t even know who she was looking at.” Patrick opened the hotel door and took a step out, his sentence replaying in his head.

“It was good seeing you,” Winnie called out only to be met with the sound of the door slamming. Gatsby lifted is head at the girl and she sighed. Walking over to the window she rested her forehead against the glass. Letting out a deep breath she closed her eyes. Her brain was running wildly and it was only ten in the morning. The husky let out a light yip and Winnie pushed away from the window. “Come on boy.” Slipping on her shoes she snatched the jacket off the chair and threw it on her shoulders. Gatsby circled her legs as she opened the door, her wallet shoved into her jeans pocket.

Image

Millennium Park was full of tourists and visitors from all over the world. Happy couples were posing by ‘The Bean’ laughing and pointing at their reflections. Large groups of people passed with their eyes wide open taking in the scenery. Winnie took the tennis ball out of her pocket and threw it toward the grassy knoll watching Gatsby jog off after it. Some people stretched out on blankets reading books or talking on the phone. The dog weaved through the people and returned to Winnie with his tail wagging.

”Welcome to Ouzinkie!” A woman with greying hair and a plaid jacket offered her hand. A single scar ran along her cheek back to her ear aging her more. “My name is Maria.”

“Winnie.” The smaller girl lifted her duffle from the ground and hoisted it on her shoulder. “Are you my guide?”

“So to speak. Who is this handsome devil.” Maria squatted down in front of Gatsby who sat idly by Winnie’s side. He sniffed her outstretched palm before allowing her to pet him.

“This is Gatsby.”

“Interesting name,” Maria stated. Getting back to her full height she gestured over her shoulder. “Car is up this way. How was the trip in?”

“Not too bad,” Winnie replied following the woman’s footsteps. Gatsby trotted next to her. “It’s all very beautiful.”

“Most visitors complain about having to fly or take ferry. They say it’s too much of a hassle.” Maria walked toward a beat up truck that was rusted along the wheels.

“I’m not most people.”

“We’ll find out.”


Gatsby barked playfully and Winnie took the ball from the grass. Tossing it into the air a few times she flung it back into the knoll. She laughed when a little girl squealed in delight when Gatsby licked her hand, her mother pulling her further away from the animal. Her cellphone vibrated in her pocket, the device only activated for the week she would be in town. A familiar name scrolled over the screen and she whistled. Gatsby snatched the ball and came straight back to her.

“Well, well. If it isn’t my most randomly gorgeous former assistant.”

“Winnifred Mikaelson,” his voice was light. “I’m surprised you answered.”

“Yes, well, it’s only for the next few days.” She started toward a bench that was vacant with Gatsby close on her heels. “How can I be of assistance to you?”

“Are you in the area?” She heard him type something on a keyboard. “I need to run a few things by you before the meeting Friday.”

“I’m only a few blocks away. Tell me, do they allow dogs in the building?”

“You’re the owner of the company. Even if they didn’t, I’m sure they make exceptions for you.”

“The power of money has no end.” She moved around a couple and offered silent apologizes for bumping a shoulder. Gatsby whined but continued on. “I’ll be there in a few minutes. Can I get you any coffee?”

“No need, I have an assistant of my own,” he joked. Winnie smiled and shook her head. “See you in a bit.”

Pocketing the phone Winnie started the journey to the office building she used to call home. The Starbucks on the corner hadn’t changed anything on the inside. Winnie spotted the same short haired woman with thick rimmed glasses taking orders and smiled to herself. Walking another half of a block she grabbed the handle of the handicap door and pulled, Gatsby leading the way into the lobby.

“Excuse me ma’am,” the security attended immediately stood from his desk. “Ma’am is this a service dog?” Winnie smiled at the tanned skin man seeing the recognition cross his face. “Ms. Mikaelson.”

“Manny!” He came out from behind the desk and offered her a hug. Pulling away she rested her hands on his shoulders. “How are you?”

“I’m good, good Ms. Mikaelson.” He looked at Gatsby.

“That’s good to hear, I’m glad Lucas has taken care of you.” Winnie dropped her arms. “Speaking of Lucas, I’m here to see him.”

“And the dog, ma’am?”

“What dog, Manny?” She saw him frown slightly and then shake his head. “Can you give me a badge?”

“I’ll just open the gate. Enjoy your day Ms. Mikaelson.” He smiled at her and she snapped her fingers. Gatsby fell into stride with her ignoring the looks of everyone passing by as she made it to the elevator bank. Once inside she leaned against the wall and pressed ’58.’ The top floor of the building. The doors closed and Gatsby sat obediently by her side. Light music played above her and she wondered if it was on the same loop, hand picked by her father to help ‘sway’ the mood of investors.

Shaking the thought from her mind she adjusted the light jacket on her shoulders. Running her fingers through her hair she smiled at the woman waiting in the lobby. The brunette took a casual sip of her coffee while her gaze narrowed in on Gatsby. He trotted along next to Winnie as she rounded the corner and held open the glass door leading to the waiting area. A blonde woman sat behind the desk typing away on the computer.

“May I help you?” She lifted her gaze from the screen and frowned. Winnie wiggled her fingers at her casually.

“Here to see Mr. Freyer.”

“Do you have an appointment?”

“Just got off the phone with him actually, he’s expecting me.”

“And who exactly are you?”

“The one who signs your paychecks,” Winnie answered smoothly. She watched the receptionist blanch before lifting the phone to her ear. After a few shorts words she waved Winnie through.

“I apologize Ms. Mikaelson.”

There were three more offices on either side of the hallway before reaching a set of double wooden doors. It was like riding a bike, her shoes meshing with the carpet, and a smile found her lips. Pulling the first set of doors open she found the new assistant Lucas had referred to buried in a portfolio. Her dark hair was braided and her complexion was light.

“Hello randomly gorgeous assistant,” Winnie introduced. The girl’s head snapped up. “I’m here to see Lucas.”

“You’re Winnifred Mikaelson,” the girl said quietly. She pushed her square framed glasses up further on her nose and pressed the button that opened the double doors. “He’s been waiting.”

“It’s been fifteen minutes!” Winnie exclaimed pulling open the door. Lucas sat behind what used to be her desk with a grin.

“I see Manny let Gatsby in.”

“Of course he did.” She scoffed at his statement. “It’s technically my building.”

“Not for long,” he pointed out. Standing from the chair he moved around the desk to give the girl a hug, his hands dropping down to the dog who eagerly leaned into his touch. “Speaking of which, have you prepared anything?”

“Should I?” Winnie plopped down in the leather chair. She didn’t miss the skeptical gaze from her employee. “It’s all a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo that I really don’t care about anymore. Just let me sign the papers and get this over with.” Her head fell against the cushion and she gazed at the ceiling.

“What happened to the business driven Winnie that used to scare the crap out of me during conference calls?” Lucas stood to his full height and leaned against the corner of the desk.

“I left her behind when I left Chicago. I’ve learned to let go of the stress,” Winnie spoke with wide gestures of her arms. “There is so much of the world out there to discover.”

“Wow,” Lucas blurted. He ran a hand through his hair and reached behind him grabbing a large folder. “That’s not what I expected.”

“What did you expect? Me to come in here and fight for a dying company? To stand behind my father’s legacy and come back to all the crazy agendas?”

“Honestly, yes.” Lucas handed her the folder. “I was hoping you would have a fire in your eyes that would break down the competitors.”

“That’s not me anymore,” she answered lowly. Her fingers rang along the edges of the folder. “Hasn’t been for a while.”

“Clearly.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Well. There's that.

Any who, I know it would drive Noelle bonkers to not have her dress picked out at least four years in advance for her wedding (insert weird smiley face) but for the sake of the timeline, let's just say she is a last minute kind of shopper now. Meaning she has almost everything else finished so the dress is like, last on her mind?

Never in a million years I know, but let's go with it okay.

A.