Status: Getting into Loki's mindset is like looking for the last piece of cheese in your refrigerator - nearly impossible to see, but, when found, moldy as all get out.

Did You Mourn?

Acceptance to Madness

“Loki, no,” Thor pleaded as he saw the way Loki’s hand slipped a little down his own staff, but Loki could only feel the acceptance of his fate before he let the staff go altogether. Even from five feet down he could hear his brother’s anguished cries for him to come back, but, it was too late for him now – he was already traveling through the void of time and space.

He guessed, he had thought he was doing the right thing when he tried to destroy his brother – it wasn’t for power at all, but it was to prove to their father that he was the one with more ability to rule Asgard than Thor ever could; it wasn’t Thor’s time yet to take on the throne, but, it was Loki’s time. It was Loki’s time to take on the throne until Thor had finally learned all the virtues that came with running a kingdom.

Loki knew you must have the power to do it, you must have the courage to take on your enemies while, at the same time, making hard decisions to could affect your people’s lives every day, and that you must look to expand your kingdom wherever possible…even if it encompassed the whole of Midgard.

Loki just couldn’t see what he had failed at that made his father not believe he wasn’t the right person to take over for him while he went into deep slumber. What had Loki failed at that Thor had, but he didn’t? Was it the blood of the All Father and Gaia? Was it even his heritage at all?

He knew that Odin would never allow a…a…Frost Giant on the throne of Asgard, but, Loki had hoped they didn’t think of him as his lower form, but of the Asgardian that he had grown up to be. Yes, he was a trickster and magic came to him as easily as breathing, but his mother had been of Vanaheim and his father of Jotunheim – he should have been accepted just as much as Thor had been.

Thor himself was adopted by Freya, after all. The woman had never had any children of her own, because Odin was always away on his conquests, so, she stayed at home making sure everything kept running smoothly on Asgard in Odin’s absence. Thor was a by-product of Odin’s infidelity and Gaia’s willingness to bed a strong Asgardian man; what made Thor so much different than Loki?

Was it because Thor was born from the egg of Gaia and the seed of Odin? Were those the brute’s only redeeming qualities? If so, Loki called the Midgardian word of “Bullshit” down upon the reason, because it gave Loki just as much a reason to be on the throne as Thor did.

They were both adopted, just Loki a little more than Thor had been.

He just couldn’t understand what quality that he needed to learn in order to rule a kingdom. What had it been? Odin never told him what qualities made a good King. What were they? What were the qualities that made a man a good King?

What made someone worthy of such a title? It can’t be what Thor has – his brother was nothing, but a brute who lived for battles and started wars just because he was too bored to learn his studies.
That wretched hammer of his was his only power – what good was a God if they needed some weapon to do all their bidding for them?

The All Father didn’t need such a thing all of the time to keep his people in line, because he commanded their respect and gave his attention to, even the tiniest, disputes between the other Gods. Was that what made Odin such a good King? That he cared about his people to the point they could come to him for anything? Loki would have been like that – Loki would have wanted them to come to him with any of their problems.

But, no, it had been Thor that had been chosen to be placed on the throne and not Loki. It made him so…angry, just to think that Odin would put that bumbling fool onto a throne before he would even, consider, Loki being the better fit. Loki was trained since he could talk that he’d have to help Thor through his reign as King of Asgard, and Loki had happily accepted the position with all of his heart. He loved his brother and gave him advice when he needed it, until, Thor and his friends started teasing Loki about his ability to get the complexities of magic better than they could.

At that time, his hate of Thor started to grow.

Now, now, in his rambling thoughts, he felt that spark of darkness within him grow.

It was all Thor’s fault that he was here in the void – it was all his brother’s fault that he was traveling through time and space. The brute just couldn’t get it through his thick skull that Loki was the better fit between the both of them for a throne – any throne. His idiotic brother just couldn’t get that Loki had all the virtues of being a good King, a great King.

One better than even Odin himself.

None of them were enough of a man, and didn’t hold enough cunning to be able to sit on a throne such as one as Asgard. The throne should have been, his, and only his. Odin shouldn’t even be marring its glorious presence with his rump – it should have been Loki sitting on it rather than that old fool.

If only he could get back to Asgard just to be able to throw the Fool King from his throne, then, and only then, would Loki be able to start making the decisions around Asgard that could make the golden city shine even brighter than it ever has with Odin on the throne, and have even more glorious battles than even Thor himself could ever command.

All through his rambling, hate filled thoughts, he didn’t even know he’d land right into the Mad Titan’s lap, but Thanos had been all too aware of what was happening to Loki Odinson, and he saw the Asgardian’s descent into madness as a one-way ticket into seeing just how much Midgard would be willing to defend their planet.

After all, who would mourn a Mad God?

The trickster would need to be tortured in order to make him be influenced by Thanos’ will, but that would be just a precursor for things to come. He would have Midgard, and he would have the one-way ability to get to Asgard and, finally, destroy it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Now with a lot less commas! Thank you for reading this one-shot and I hope you got to see a glimpse into just how frightening it can be when someone can go from accepting their fate to the all-consuming madness one can experience if one, but falls into it.

Chelsea