My Life Is a Cliché

Walking Home

I lost count of how many gentlemen I danced with. By the end of the evening, I had three people interested in working with me.

“I’m going home,” I said to Katie after the room cleared out. “I’m going to walk, though.”

She frowned. “It’s not safe. It’s midnight, Morana.”

I pulled the small canister of mace I had in my purse out. “I’m prepared. I’ll see you back at the apartment. You’ll be fine here?”

She nodded and waved good bye. I noticed her walk up to Johnathan with a winning smile and I laughed under my breath. I stepped out into the cold night air, taking my heels off as I walked up the sidewalk. Even though it was midnight, the streets of Bricktown, Oklahoma were busy with people out partying. I lived on the outskirts but I enjoyed walking around the canal once in a while.

“This isn’t safe for you, you know,” a voice said and I turned to see Thaddeus behind me, his hands behind his back.

“I’ll be fine,” I said and started to walk home.

“And if some man were to jump you?” he asked, falling into step behind me.

“He’ll regret it.”

“Hmm.”

“So you really don’t like working with horses?”

He wrinkled his nose. “They’re messy,” he said. “I never liked messy.” I nodded mutely. “So why didn’t you let your dear parents pay for this business?”

I glared at the ground. “I don’t have parents.”

He didn’t say anything but I felt him look at me. My toes were still numb from being stepped on so often that evening and I couldn’t wait to return home.

“You don’t have to walk me home,” I said finally.

“It’ll make it easier to stalk you.”

I rolled my eyes. “Very romantic of you, Mr. Hatch.”

He shrugged. “Well, you learn so much from stalking someone.”

His voice was serious and I stared at him. He laughed at the look on my face.

“Oh, shut up,” I snapped.

For a second there, I was afraid he really was a stalker. We finally reached my apartment complex.

“Well, thanks for walking me home I guess,” I said, stopping before going inside.

He looked down at me through his bangs. “Is this the part where I kiss you?”

“Probably not,” I answered coolly and turned to walk in my building.

He took my hand and kissed it. “It’s a start.”

I just shook my head and went inside, trying to ignore how my heart was fluttering in my chest.

--

Katie didn’t get back until much later. I was dressed in my pajamas, my feet propped up. My toes were swollen so I had put ice packs on them.

“What happened to your toes?” she asked, her eyes heavy with sleep.

“One of your lovely bachelors doesn’t know how to dance,” I said and she laughed, plopping on the couch beside me.

“I am exhausted,” she breathed. “While you were dancing with the handsome men, I was stuck with the old guys.”

“It was your idea,” I reminded her and she stuck her tongue out at me.

“I’m going to bed,” she yawned and I nodded.

“I probably should, too. I have to go survey the property tomorrow.”

“Thaddeus likes you,” she said suddenly.

“Yeah, likes groping me,” I grumbled.

“He’s hot, though.”

“And arrogant,” I countered, washing the makeup off my face. “He’s not my type.”

“I think he is,” she mused, brushing her teeth. “You just don’t know it yet.” I snorted. “Would you rather have Mr. Slaughter House?”

I laughed. “Oh, my God. I couldn’t believe it.”

She giggled. “I couldn’t, either. I didn’t see it coming.”

“Good night,” I said from my room.

She mumbled something from her bedroom before passing out. I curled up under my blankets and fell asleep.

-Thaddeus’s POV-

She was beautiful, I had to give her that. I walked back to my car, my hands in my pockets. It was my parents’ idea to go to that party tonight. I really couldn’t care less about having a wife but I wouldn’t mind having Morana on my arm. And in my bed.

“How was the party?” my mother asked when I got home.

“Boring,” I shrugged, taking my jacket off.

“Did you get to dance with her?” my father pressed.

“Unfortunately,” I answered, getting a beer out of the fridge.

“Oh, come now. I’m sure it wasn’t that bad.”

I finished the can and tossed it in the recycling bin. “If you say so.”

“Are you going to see her again?”

I shrugged again, heading up the stairs. “Maybe.”

I heard my mother sigh in disappointment and I felt a twinge of guilt. It’s not that I didn’t like my parents, it’s just sometimes things would be easier if I didn’t have to live at home. I didn’t have a choice, though.

I got into my pajamas thinking of Morana. Would I be seeing her again? It would give me something to do until my father finally decided to step down and let me take over; especially since she had something of mine.

“Not until you’re ready to settle down,” he had said.

I groaned and rolled over onto my stomach.

-

Breakfast was quiet. My parents were out with the horses and I was reading articles on my phone while eating toast. I was still in my pajamas mostly because I knew it would annoy my parents if they walked in. My phone rang with a number I didn’t recognize.

“Hello?” I said after taking a gulp of orange juice.

“Let me guess,” Morana’s voice said through the phone and I grinned, “you slipped your wallet into my purse on purpose.”

“I would never do such a thing,” I said.

“Whatever, Hatch. Come get it. I’m not coming to you.”

I stood up and put my glass in the sink. “I’ll come by now.”

“You can’t. I’m not at home.”

I rolled my eyes. “Then tell me where you are and I’ll go there.”

I heard a crashing in the background. “Damn it!” she yelled. “Come on, guys. That’s my desk!”

“Ah, you’re at your new office.”

“Just come get your wallet.”

She hung up and I grinned.