‹ Prequel: Hope in the Rain

Autumnal Equinox

Protection

I cut into the meat, watching as the village people talked and mingled among one another. Pen was accepting the bites of meat I would sneak to him and keeping his eyes on the people in the crowd. When the orchestra struck up, I knew what would be expected and I groaned quietly.

“Will you join me?” Prince Logan asked, holding out his hand.

“Er…. Okay.” I took his hand and stood a little uneasily. “Pen, stay with Mother and Father,” I whispered and the dragon narrowed his eyes.

Are you sure about that?

I smiled. “It’ll be okay. If I need you, I’ll flag you down.”

He didn’t look pleased but he flew from my shoulder to my mother’s. I held up my skirts as we walked so I wouldn’t trip on them again. People moved away so we had room to dance and Logan put his hand on my waist and lifted my right arm. We rotated to the music slowly.

“How did you come by Pendragon?” he asked, nodding over my shoulder.

“I found his egg in the forest,” I answered and told him the story. “When a dragon imprints, the surrogate parent creates a bond with the dragon. He’s able to communicate with me telepathically.”

“What about the other way around?”

I shrugged. “I’ve tried but I can’t figure it out.”

He nodded and we fell into silence. I looked down at my feet, trying desperately not to step on his feet or to trip. The tempo increased and I bit my lower lip as he gripped my waist tighter, guiding me. Unfortunately, with the quicker pace, I stepped on his foot.

“Oh! I’m sorry!” I cried but he just laughed and continued to lead me.

Eventually I got the hang of it and started to actually enjoy myself. It was getting warm and my dress was rather tight so I asked him to help me to a window. We stood by an open window, watching the people dance. I lifted my hair from my neck and became painfully aware that his eyes were on me.

“Is there something on my face?” I asked and he turned a brilliant shade of red.

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to stare,” he said quickly and I giggled behind my hand.

He laughed, too, and nudged me gentle.

Suddenly, there was a loud screeching noise and a missile of black and red scales dove towards us.

“PENDRAGON!” I yelled, grabbing his tail as he lashed out for a frightened Logan. “Stop this right now!”

Logan had fallen on the floor, his eyes wide, and all color was gone from his face. Pendragon was still pulling on me as the whole assembly watched.

“Pendragon!” I yelled again and pulled with all my might, causing the dragon to topple over and onto the floor.

He jumped up onto my shoulders and wrapped his tail around the front of my neck, snarling at Logan. I tried to push him off of me but he wouldn’t budge.

“Prince Logan,” I gasped as our parents ran over. “I’m so sorry. I don’t know what came over him. I’ll-”

My father shot me a look and I clamped my mouth shut. Queen Harriet was helping Logan to his feet, asking him questions quietly. But Logan wouldn’t take his eyes off of Pendragon. However, it wasn’t fear in his eyes. What I saw was more akin to curiosity.

My mother grabbed my arm and dragged me out of the ballroom. Pendragon swayed on my shoulders, growling deep in his chest.

“Mother, I don’t-”

“Not now,” my father interrupted and I fell silent again.

He was on my other side and I had the impression I was in deep trouble. I glared at Pendragon out of the corner of my eye but he was staring right ahead of us. When we got to the privacy of my bedroom, I finally peeled the dragon off of me and plopped him down on the bed. He hissed but stayed in one spot when I glared at him.

“That cannot happen again,” my mother rounded on me and I pulled my shoulders forward, looking down.

“I don’t think he was going to hurt him,” I said in a small voice.

“It’s not that,” my father said and rubbed his eyes. “Autumn, Logan’s father was killed by a dragon.”

I sat down heavily on my bed, my mouth dropping open, and I looked over at Pendragon. He looked just as surprised as I did.

“I thought you said he died in war,” I gasped.

“It’s a cover story,” my mother answered.

I covered my face with my hands.

“Pen, stay here,” I said and jumped to my feet.

Yes, Mother. Please forgive me.

His voice was sad. I ignored my parents’ questions as I took those wretched heels off. I rushed out of the room and looked around, trying to remember the layout of the castle. But, in my hurry, I couldn’t bring it to my mind. Finally, I ran down the hall to my left, looking through each doorway I flew by.

Just when I was about to give up, I passed by a door that was starting to close and caught a glimpse of golden eyes. I skidded to a halt, almost falling over at the sudden stop. I ran back to his room and knocked hurriedly on the door.

“Please open,” I said and he did. He was still pale but not as terrified. I’m sure I looked a mess. My hair was out of its bun and my face was red from running and mortification. “I am so, so, so, sorry. I didn’t know about your father. I don’t know why Pen attacked, I’ll talk to-”

He silenced me with raising his hand and I fell quiet. He was watching me. Again, his eyes seemed to look into my very soul.

“I understand,” I said finally. “I’ll just go pack and we’ll be gone.”

“I don’t want you to leave.” His deep voice called down the hall and I turned my head. “Come back. I wish to speak with you in private.”

I put my hands in front of me and stepped into his bedchamber, hanging my head. He led me to one of two armchairs near the windows. The moonlight fell between us and I looked at him timidly.

“Your parents told you of my father?” I nodded and he ran a finger across his lips. He crossed his legs. I couldn’t tell if he was angry or not. “I don’t want you to leave,” he repeated. “But I won’t lie that the events of tonight have not only humiliated me but angered me, too.” I swallowed as he stood and walked over to me. I stared up at him, my body beginning to shake as memories came flooding back. “Don’t let it happen again.”

He lifted his hand and I cringed, waiting for the blow.

“What are you doing?” he asked, his voice changing.

I shook my head, a tear crawling down my face.

“I will speak with Pendragon,” I whispered. I returned to my room. My parents were still there. “Leave us, please.” They did so and, when they were gone, I turned to Pendragon. “Explain.”

He hit you.

“What? He didn’t hit me.”

Yes, he did. He hit you when you were by the window.

I sighed, understanding and sat down on the bed, gesturing for him to sit on my lap. He did so hesitantly and I stroked his spine.

“It’s a way humans… interact with one another,” I explained.

I do not understand.

“When a male and female are attracted to one another, they do what we call ‘flirting’. It’s little gestures and jokes we exchange between one another.”

So he was just doing this… flirting?

“Yes.”

Is he angry?

“Very. We must be careful from now on, Pendragon. Do not attack without my prompting again.”

I will not. Please forgive me, Mother.

I kissed the top of his scaly head. “I forgive you, Pen. Let us sleep now.”

Do you need me to sing to you?

“Please.”