Status: In Progress

Burning Desire

Chapter One

The rain was pouring outside, I had the fireplace going in my room which made me want to relax and read a book curled up by the fire with a nice glass of wine to soothe me as well. I heard the front door slam open then shut followed by my parents arguing. I quietly walked out of my room following the noise of them fighting.

“So, who is he!” my father shouted.

“I’m not cheating on you!” my mother yelled back at him.

She was and how would I know you ask? She told me herself she was and the guy would stalk her. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s outside the house right now.

I saw my father slam her up against the wall, glaring at her.

“You tell me who he is right now Danielle!” He demanded.

The front door got busted off of the hinges then I slid down the railing of the stairs. I saw him, it was Luke Black my mom’s lover boy with a gun in his hand with a pissed off look on his face.

BANG!

I saw my father on the floor, blood oozing out of his body then I ran towards Luke charging at him and threw me off of the railing landing onto the basement floor. I hit my knee hard and cut my arm on glass. I laid there then I heard a few more rounds go off. I couldn’t believe this happened. Then, I heard someone coming down the stairs….


I woke up to blinding white lights, the room looked familiar and I looked down at my legs. Seeing my right one in a brace and it hit me everything was real and my parents weren’t coming back.

“It’s okay Vanessa.” I heard my aunt say calming me down.

I was breathing heavy, sweaty and the whole nine yards.

“I’ll go get the doctor.” Jack told us then leaving.

My aunt was on my bed, rubbing my back and telling me everything was going to be okay. How is everything going to be okay? I witnessed a murder and possibly could’ve stopped it.

The doctor came in asking me questions. What day is it? What year? Who’s the president? My birthday? After that I was staying here for observation but I wanted to be somewhere other than here to be honest. I hated hospitals, and hated everything about them in general.

“Can I go home?” I asked groaning.

“No, they have to keep you for observation.” Jack told me sternly.

I laid back in the hospital bed then the nurses came in changing my IV bags. I was starting to get cold then was shivering. Bella got up and put a heavy blanket on me. I started to warm up.

“Is the meds causing this?” I asked.

“Probably, I’m going to get you something to eat sweetheart I’ll be right back.” Bella told me then giving me kiss on my head.

I nodded then I heard something like a dog whining. I looked over seeing my black germen shepherd ‘Anubis’ which is the original name of the Egyptian god of the dead. He is my emotional support animal and is allowed in the hospitals and stuff.

“Anubis, come here boy.” I told him patting the empty space beside of me.

He got beside of me on the bed then I saw my grandma walk in looking over at me. Anubis was wagging his tail and smiling.

“You’re one lucky girl sweetheart, this boy missed you and was whining at the door bad.” She told me then kissing my cheek.

“Yeah, I am, I missed him too grandma.” I replied while petting Anubis.

“What happened Vanessa?” Jack asked sternly looking at me with a death glare.

I heard Anubis whine, he knew what happened as well.

“I don’t remember anything.” I said lying.

I didn’t want to tell him, he didn’t need to know our family wasn’t perfect it was all a lie. I heard someone knock on the door, it was Will Graham.

“How are you feeling?” He asked me.

I felt like Jack always wanted me to be with Will, but I felt he was trying to urge/push me to be with him.

“I’m good, could be worse.” I said.

“Hey Anubis.” He replied then petting him.

“Will you look like you haven’t slept in days.” I responded.

“I’ve slept only like three hours.” He told me.

“Go home and sleep.” I said sternly, “I’m fine”