The Lure of a Vampire

It's Party Time

Chastity stood in front of the mirror, looking into her own amethyst eyes that matched the lovely gown she wore. When she had woken up, she had found the gown hanging from the bathroom door just as Max had promised. It was the loveliest dress she had seen in all her life, though it was more of ball gown than an evening dress. The dress was strapless with an open back made with miles of silk and tulle, the hem would trail on the ground behind her as she walked, even when she was wearing the sky high heels that Max had paired with them.

There had even been make-up, which Chastity wanted to kiss him for giving her. All the essentials she would need to make her face presentable to meet with his father and the rest of the vampire race.

“You look lovely,” Max said from the doorway of the bedroom and she whirled around, almost tripping over her own feet and the skirts of her dress so she could see him.

Chastity lost her breath at the sight of him. Never had she seen him look so handsome, let alone any man. His lithe body was encased in a suit; the shirt was black, the tie and vest a deep red that was emblazoned with an intricate pattern in a deeper red, the jacket of the suit just as black as the shirt and matching pants. “You do too,” she finally breathed as she kept taking in his appearance, never wanting to look away from him.

“Are you ready to go? Everyone else has already left the coven house and is undoubtably there,” Max told her, extending his hand out.

“How are we going to get there?” Chastity asked curiously as she lifted the hem of her dress and closed the distance between them, taking his hand in her own.

Chastity wasn’t expecting to be pulled into Max’s arms, for them to encircle her or for his lips to press against hers in a passionate kiss. Just as soon as Chastity leaned into his kiss it was broken and Max looked down at her, “I will transport us there.”

Just as soon as the words were uttered, the room fell away from them in a blur, the colors quickly melding into other colors, sounds disappearing except for her own gasp. It was only a handful of seconds until sounds came back and the room they appeared in to form.

She had hoped for a quiet entrance but it seemed he had transported them into the center of a ballroom with all eyes on them. Immediately Chastity was overwhelmed, that fight or flight instinct she had experienced the first night she had spent in the coven house returning with a vengeance, “Max,” she whispered unsurely as she gripped his arm tightly.

“It will be alright, little Bride,” he assured, wrapping an arm around her waist before ushering her towards the front of the crowd where she could see a pair of thrones with a man and woman sitting atop them.

“Max, I’m not ready,” Chastity whispered as she looked fearfully towards what she could only assume was the King and Queen, his father and step mother. “Can’t we like, go and talk. I… I don’t think I can meet them yet.”

“Calm yourself, Chastity,” Max soothed aloud even as they stopped in front of the man and woman. The man looked to be only in his late thirties or forties, with the same features as Max. The same dark hair and blue eyes, the same regal cheekbones and aristocratic nose and now she knew where the firm line of his lips came from. If she hadn’t know this man was his father, she would swear they were brothers. “Father…” he trailed with a bow of his head when they came to a stop in front of the couple, “Genevieve.”

The man stood at the greeting, “Maximus…” he trailed off even as he looked at Chastity critically, as if trying to determine if she was a good match for his son and heir. “And what is the name of your lovely guest?”

“This guest is my Bride, her name is Chastity,” Max told him, his tone stiff.

“H-hi,” Chastity stammered with a little wave, trying her hardest not to tuck tail and run in a ballroom full of vampires.

“Hello, dear,” he said, his attention still fully on her, “You may call me Cassius. We can forego the formalities of my title since it appears my son has decided to bring you into our family.” Extending a hand out to her as if he wanted her to grasp it.

Chastity looked to Max for permission and he nodded, so Chastity stepped forward placing her hand into his. Cassius lifted her hand and pressed a kiss to the back of her knuckles, his nostrils flaring at the same time. “Mmm, you smell lovely.” Lifting his head from her hand, he turned to his own Bride, “Come and smell the girl, Vie. She smells absolutely mouthwatering.”

When Genevieve stood Maximus growled, immediately pulling Chastity back into his arms to glare at his father over her shoulder, “That is enough. I expect you to show my Bride the same respect I show yours.”

“Come now, son you must allow us the smallest taste,” Genevieve spoke softly as she approached to stand next to the vampire king.

“Do not call me that. It is Maximus to you and nothing else and no such thing shall take place, ever,” Max snarled angrily.

“Why leave her human if not to share then?” Cassius asked, his expression unreadable as he looked between Chastity and Max. After a moment of silence where no answer was produced his thin lips upturned into a snarl, “Maximus, I swear if you produced a half-breed spawn with this human whore I will kill it myself. All heirs must be full-fledged.”

Chastity gasped and took a step back at his harsh words, bumping fully into Max’s chest, “There is no child,” Max gritted through clenched teeth, “The reasons are mine alone but I assure you she will be turned in a matter of months. Now if we are done with all these lovely formalities, I plan to circulate with my Bride for only a few moments before we make our leave. It’s apparent that you cannot be trusted until she is turned.”

“Oh, do not be like that, Maximus,” Cassius scoffed, “You act like a petulant child and it grates on my nerves.”

Max did not say anything in return to his father, just shuffled Chastity away from the thrones and towards the dancing crowd.