Wait for Me to Come Home

This is Not What I Planned

Isobel groaned as she pulled herself the next morning. She didn’t get hangovers, the headaches and sickness that made people regret drinking, instead she just woke up early. This worked out with Emmie foolishly picking her birthday drinks on a Sunday night, knowing perfectly well that Isobel would have work the next day.

Pulling herself out of bed, she stretched her arms over head whilst scrunching her toes in the floor. She was not looking forward to today. She couldn’t remember last night, something that left her anxious that she had done something foolish and made a gigantic ass out of herself.

Once she was showered and dress she finally found her phone, located in the fruit bowl, and her keys, located in her shoe, and left her flat, locking the door behind her as she trudged down the street.

Isobel enjoyed her job, but did get the feeling of tugging her hair out every so often, with having to deal with her colleagues and, to put it politely, their fuck ups.

Climbing in the car she turned up her radio, the loud drumbeats of Pierce the Veil entertaining her on the short drive to the office.

”I’m sorry, I can’t see that you truly loved me”she sang along loudly and off key as she pulled into her parking space, rolling her eyes at one of colleagues who turned to stare at her car, locating the sound of the loud music that was cut off as soon as she turned her engine off.

The day was beginning to drag, it had reached 11am and she was starving after having forgotten to bring any breakfast with her this morning. Her stomach rumbled as she glanced at the clock, noticing how the big hand had barely moved before groaning.

Her phone was dead, the battery completed drained from last night and Isobel had left her charger at home, with her boss being in the office she was unable to sneak onto Facebook to speak to Emmie and find out what had happened last night.

Finally the clock struck 12 and Isobel practically ran out of the office, she couldn’t hold off any longer she needed to escape, grabbing her car keys she headed back outside just unlocking her car before Emmie swung into the carpark completely blocking her off.

“Yo, Hoe, get in” Emmie called through her open window, her eyes still looking forward as Isobel shrugged climbing into the empty passenger seat. “I’ve been trying to call you but you weren’t picking up”

“My phone’s dead. Em, are you okay?” Isobel asked raising her eyebrow as she surveyed her friend. Emmie’s hair was a mess, piled high on top of her hair that she couldn’t tell how it was even held in place, one of Garrett’s zombies tops with a stretched out collar has been paired with a pair of blue cut off shorts.

“Just got up” Emmie groaned, shoving her sunglasses further up her nose as she pulled into the carpark of a fast food restaurant. “Garrett woke me as he left for band practice” she whined though Isobel didn’t comment, it was gone 12 after all.

“Can you order? I forgot my wallet” Emmie called as the two approached the counter, waving an arm at her friend as she turned and made a detour to the restroom “I’ll have my usual” she added over her shoulder before pushing the door open.

Isobel sighed heading to the counter and placing their order, it was sad to say this was a normal occurrence. Emmie inviting her some place, forgetting her wallet or some other item and Isobel had to chip in, though she couldn’t complain, Emmie had looked after her in some of her worst drunken states.

Grabbing their meals and their large strawberry shakes she headed to one of the empty booths, unwrapping her burger and taking a huge bite, not bothering to wait for the other girl.

“Thanks, ‘Sobel” Emmie grinned grabbing a handful of fries and shoving them in her mouth. “What happened to you last night, one minute you were there and then the next minute you and John had disappeared” Emmie asked as Isobel shrugged, uncapping her strawberry milkshake before dipping a couple of fries in the thick pink substance.

“I have no idea, I was going to ask you the same thing” Isobel explained, grabbing her hair and tying it in a loose bun before returning to her meal taking a huge bite of the juicy burger, Emmie starting to ask another question but before she could get her words out her phone buzzed on the table, taking the girls attention as she grabbed it, a couple of fries pause in her hand near her mouth.

“Why the fuck has John O’Callaghan tagged you on a photo on Facebook with the caption ‘Belly and I got married guys!’?” Emmie shouted, dropping her fries on the table as she stared at her friend with her face like thunder, some of the staff members at the counter turned to look at the pair but the two girls were oblivious.

“What?” Isobel choked, coughing up some strawberry milkshake that she had swallowed. Instead of using her words, Emmie thrust her phone into Isobel’s face.

Sure enough there was a picture of Isobel displayed on the phone. She was wearing the same navy blue shirt she was wearing last night, facing John as the pair stared into each other’s eyes with a wide smile on both their faces, their left hands held up to the camera displaying the rings that they wore on their ring finger.

The picture have over 60 likes with nearly the same amount of comments congratulating the couple, some people puzzled over the fact that they hadn’t realised the pair weren’t even dating. She looked at the caption, and sure enough it stated exactly what Emmie had said, time stamped at 3:47am of that morning.

When she looked down at her left hand, her grandmother’s ring was on her left hand, just like it was in the picture, instead of the middle finger of her right hand where she usually wore it.

“This can’t be right” she breathed, her as Emmie took her phone out of her friends hand as her fingers tapped the screen looking through the other pictures that John had uploaded, as Isobel held her head in her hands. She couldn’t believe this. “It has to be some sort of joke”

Emmie shook her head, turning the phone back around to Isobel who looked at the picture with wide eyes. This one made her heart plummet, it was a picture of a wedding certificate stating that John Cornelius O’Callaghan V and Isobel Grace Tanner had indeed gotten married that day and it was witness by someone called Jason Wells and Lara Brookes. Who the hell were they?

Snatching the phone out of Emmie’s hand she scrawled through the contacts before dialling a number.

“O’Callaghan, we need to talk”