The Emeryville Coffee Shop Owner

Post 4

Once inside the building we took our seats, which happened to be right next to the Jimmy Eat World guys. I was sitting next to Jim and we started talking.

"Hey, I'm Jim." He stuck out his hand and I shook it.

"Roni." I replied.

"So, you are dating one of the Green Day guys?" He asked me.

"No, I'm an old friend of theirs and since none of them had a date they invited me come." I explained. He nodded and seemed to brighten up considerably.

"So you knew the guys when they were younger?" He asked.

"Yeah, I met them right before the Dookie CD came out. They walked into my coffee shop." I said.

"So you have a lot of dirt on them that you could black mail them with right?" He asked mischievously and I giggled.

"Yeah, I could." I said with a smirk. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Billie watching us talk with a frown. Jim's eyes moved back and forth quickly trying to see if anyone could hear us and then he leaned in.

"So, what dirt do you have on Mike?" He asked in a whisper with a smile playing on his lips. I laughed and shook my head.

"Mike seems quiet and reserved but really, some of the things he does you would never expect from even Tre." I said and Jim raised am eyebrow.

"I'm listening." He said. Jim was really cute and I liked that he kept making me laugh.

"Well this one time Billie Joe, Tre, Mike, and I were at this gas station and the cashier guy was being a real dick so... " I was cut off as Mike put his hand on my mouth. He looked at Jim.

"Nothing happened. We just left the gas station like good people." He told Jim and looked at me. "Never speak of that again or I'll tell Tre you want him to get on a sugar high and hang out at your apartment when we get home." Mike hissed in my ear. I put on a face of mock terror and nodded. He took his hand of my mouth.

"Deal." I said. He and I shook on it and I turned back to Jim. "Guess you won't be hearing that story." I said with a chuckle and he smiled back at me. Billie was still watching us from his seat.

"So, are you going to the after party?" He asked. I shrugged.

"I don't know." I said and turned to the guys. "Hey, are we going to the after party?" I asked and they looked at me.

"Sure." Mike said.

"Why?" Tre asked.

"Jim asked me if we were." I replied and Billie looked a little angry. "Billie, are you okay?" I asked and he looked up at me.

"What? Oh yeah, I'm fine." He said. I shrugged and turned back to Jim.

"Looks like we're going." I told him. He smiled but before he could say anything to me the show started.

***

At the after party I decided not to drink more than one alcoholic beverage and stayed sober, surprisingly, so did Billie Joe. Jim and the rest of Jimmy Eat World had already left after Jim and Billie got into fight after Jim kissed my cheek. I didn't know why Billie cared that Jim seemed to like me until Mike said that when they were on tour with Jimmy Eat World they found out the Jim was notorious for how many girls he had one night stands with while on tour. The party was almost over; Billie and I were sitting in at a table in the back while Mike and Tre had already left.

"I think it's time to go." I said and Billie nodded.

We hailed a cab and arrived back at the hotel. We got ready for bed but neither of us were very tired.

"Want to watch a movie?" Billie suggested when neither of us could fall asleep.

"Sure, which one?" I asked. We sat down on the couch and chose the movie Without a Paddle. Halfway through the movie Billie looked over at me. He leaned in to kiss me but I turned my head.

"Stop Billie, I don't like you that way." Lie.

"Oh so you don't want to kiss me?" Billie demanded.

"No, I don't." Lie.

"You're lying." He decided after looking at me carefully.

"Think about it, if I liked you that way would I have given you marriage advice every time you asked for it?" I pointed out.

"You were just being a good friend." He shot back.

"Exactly, friend and nothing more." I replied calmly.

"Prove it. Prove you don't think of me in that way." He said.

"How?" I said with a sigh.

"Let me kiss you." He said calmly.

"What?" I asked, surprised.

"Let me kiss you, then, look in my eyes and tell me you felt nothing." He said.

"Fine." I replied. We leaned in and as soon as his lips touched mine fireworks went off in my head. I tried to hide how much I enjoyed the kiss. I pulled back and looked at the floor.

"Well?" He asked.

"Nothing, I felt nothing." I said, not taking my eyes off the floor.

"Bullshit!" He argued.

"No, I felt nothing!" I said looking him right in the eye. I had never lied this big to Billie before because in truth, that kiss was the best thing that's ever happened to me.

"Fine." He said, not believing me but at the same time his face had a strange emotion, something like sadness and maybe defeat mixed together. I brushed it off and we went to bed without speaking another single word to each other.

***

The next morning I awoke to a knocking on the door. Billie was still asleep so I pulled myself out of bed and opened the door. It was Mike.

"Yeah?" I asked sleepily.

"We leave today so if you want breakfast before we go then you better come downstairs now and tell Billie." He said and left. I closed the door, got dressed and walked over to Billie's sleeping figure. I sighed; he looked so innocent in his sleep.

"Wake up Billie. Time for breakfast." I said and shook him gently. He opened one eye and looked at me.

"Whatever, I'll be down soon." He grumbled, obviously he hadn't forgotten about last night. I sighed.

"Fine." I replied before leaving the room.

At the table things were tense between Billie and I. Mike and Tre kept exchanging looks from across the table.

"Is everything okay?" Mike asked obviously uncomfortable.

"Huh? Oh yeah everything is fine." I replied. Mike looked skeptical but dropped the subject.

***

On the plane Billie and I were sitting next to each other, still not talking. I sighed.

"Billie, can we just forget about last night? We were both tired and we just had short tempers." I said and Billie looked at me.

"Who's still angry about last night?" Billie muttered and I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, yeah okay. Friends?" Billie asked and held out his hand.

"Friends." I agreed and shook his hand. I was so glad things between Billie and I were back to normal but all I could think about was going home and taking a well deserved nap in my bed.

***