Scandal in the House of Titan

A Price to Pay

“What kind of incestuous freak show are you trying to run here, Molly?”

“You promised you wouldn’t be mad at me!”

“I’m not mad. I’m curious. I want to know how in the hell you got to the point of making out with Grace when both of you have boyfriends, a professional relationship and ten years between you.”

“I know it is really wrong. Believe me. We thought maybe if we kissed once we would stop thinking about it.”

“You’ve been thinking about it?!”

I listen to my grandmother lay into Molly. Everyone seems to think the back lounge is more soundproof than it really is. It’s just me. No one else has arrived for rehearsals yet.

“Dee, it is too much to explain right now.”

“I ought to get rid of both you and Grace!”

“Leave Grace out of this!” Molly snaps.

I was feeling betrayed by her for telling Dee about what happened, but her defending me made it a little better.

“She’s just a kid. If you wanna be pissed, be pissed at me!”

I step a little closer to the door. Dee’s voice drops.

“Molly, you have an image—a good reputation. You have an extremely high standard to uphold as a Former Miss USA. Tell me you will stop putting your tongue down Grace’s or anyone else’s throat except Stephen’s.”

“I will,” Molly agrees quietly.

I hear the raggedy couch give way and scramble back to my vanity to pretend to get ready. The door opens. Molly walks out, her face pale.

“Hey, Gracie,” she says, her voice breathy.

I greet her and she vanishes behind her own work station. A few seconds later, my phone lights up with a text from her:

You heard all that with Dee didn’t you?

Yes

I’m sorry. I don’t regret what we did, but I do regret telling Dee and it was very unprofessional.

I don’t view you any different.

It’s not you I’m worried about. It’s Dee

She’s pissed

Will you call me tonight after rehearsal? We need to talk.

Yes