Sequel: The Hunter
Status: Got writer's block, so gave it a lame ending. Sorry~

The Hunter Version 1

Page 43

explaining what it was and why he wanted to hide it.
“I might be able to use this as evidence against him if anything happens.” Ben told Claire as she flipped through the book.
“I'm not sure about that, but it's possible. I don't know much about laws.” Claire replied.
“He seemed like a huge dick when I met him the other day,” Toby mumbled and Ben nodded.
“He is. In fact, right before you came, we were fighting because I wouldn't answer his questions.” Ben laughed.
“How's the rest of your family?” Claire asked.
“They're okay. My father's afraid of William and what he can do, so he tries to keep a distance from me in public, but we talk a lot in private. My little brother has no idea there's something going on, which is good. It'd be sad to see him depressed, he's always so happy.” Ben answered.
“What about your mom? Surely she's come to say hello by now?”
“I've never met the woman. I've been regaining a lot of memories lately, but I don't know anything about her. I wonder if I've ever even seen her.” Ben shrugged.
“Better than my mom. When Claire took me back to see my parents and inform them that I'd be a Black Guard the first the the woman did was punch me.” Toby grumbled and Ben laughed.
“I'll keep this safe for you, Ben. Even if your older brother has connections to my boss I know somewhere I can hide it and they can't touch it. I'll send Vince at once. Vince!!”
Vince left the group of two men and three women he had been speaking quietly with and trotted over.
“Can you take this and hide it for me? I'm sure you know where.” Claire asked when he gave a bow.
Vince nodded enthusiastically and grabbed the book. He tucked it into one of the pouches all Guards seemed to carry and darted off so quickly he was just a blur. Claire watched him go, smiling and then sighed happily.
“Aah, it's good to have a break every once in awhile.” She hummed.
“Is this your vacation too?” Ben asked, but she shook her head.
“I'm actually here to see you on orders from my boss. He did not take kindly to being blackmailed and wants to make sure you are okay. He also wants to get on your good side so he can use you against William if it ever came down to it.” Claire answered.
“Does your boss know what he wants? I've been trying to figure it out, but all I could come up with was that it is something to do with the islands or the hunters. That's all he ever asks me about.” Ben frowned.
“Oh yeah, we know. Originally William was trying to get the answer straight from my boss, but that's one thing my boss would never do. William wants to know about the hunters; everything about them. Their names, ages, families, history, the way they kill, how their islands are set up, their lovers, their children, anything and everything. When my boss refused to aid him and instead suggested William go himself, William flew into a fit of rage and then had us send you to Max's island instead.”
“He's a nutcase.” Toby growled, starting to pace.
“Toby,” Claire called to him, a threat in her voice.
He immediately stopped pacing, but tapped his foot impatiently.
“I've been working on his pacing. It's such a waste of energy.” Claire explained to Ben.
“I uh, I see.” Ben replied, not really following, but then again, he did not really understand the Guards at all.
The hunters, Ben understood. They openly showed their emotions, they did as they wished, and they liked to socialize and play games. The Guards, on the other hand, stood around listening rather than speaking, their eyes cold and unresponsive to the pranks pulled on them by some of the Hunters, and they mostly just stood about awkwardly. Claire alone gave any signs of emotion, although Ben knew when she was working properly she was just like the others. She seemed to glow, however, with