Sable

Twenty Seven

He was going to take her to see Lucca, whether he liked it or not. Sable waved her hand over the drink Akeem had asked her to bring to him. Her plan was to put him to sleep for a long while, and sneak out to follow behind Conor. He wouldn't discover her until it was too late to turn back; he had only found the way to the place in a feverish state, following along their scents, so she hoped he wouldn't be able to find his way back.

Light sparked from her hand over the cup. She looked around, making sure no one had seen; she was alone still in the kitchen. A small smile grew on her face and she picked the drink up off the counter.

"What do you think you're doing?" Conor whispered into her ear suddenly. Sable jumped and let out a squeak, and turned to face him. He had an eyebrow raised, and there was a smirk on his mouth.

"I- nothing," Sable said. She peered into the cup; not much of the drink had been spilled.

"Sable..." Conor sighed. He took the drink from her and she protested. "I'm psychic, remember? I had a dream the night before that you would pull something like this."

"Well- but- you know why I have to," Sable said. She pursed her lips and jabbed him in the side, grabbing the drink back and rushing to the doorway. Once Conor had recovered he was over there with her instantly.

"Fine," he said. He grabbed her arm and prevented her from moving any further. "You're so stubborn." He leaned toward her and whispered again. "We'll give him the drink together. You don't have to sneak out now; I'll bring you with me willingly."

"What did you see happen to me?" Sable asked, humour falling from her.

Conor shook his head and released her. Without another word he stepped past her and through the doorway, leaving Sable to stand there in confusion. Something had happened to her in his vision. She thanked her stars that she had a psychic on her side.

Conor wandered back to her for a brief moment to say, "You'll get yourself hurt, is all I'll tell you. And we're only doing this today, because the time for the ritual is over now."

Sable rolled her eyes and followed after him. She worried that the plan wouldn't go the way she wanted, but she needed to speak with Lucca. And what better time than when Conor went to go to gather Lucca's army? It would be the perfect distraction; he was almost as devoted to her as Akeem was.

Sable passed the drink onto Akeem, who smiled at her unknowingly, and then began to drink. Conor and Sable sat around him, waiting.

"So, I was thinking that- today-" Akeem said. Half of his drink was finished. "Wow, I feel... strange..."

"Tired, maybe?" Sable asked nervously. She scratched the back of her neck. "It's pretty hot outside, too, and I know the heat is getting to mean for sure." She feigned a yawn.

"You're probably right," Akeem said. He licked his lips and downed the rest of his drink. "So- today... We should... Train more..."

He stumbled out of his chair. Conor and Sable stood, making their way over to Akeem. He looked up at them wide-eyed.

"You- drugged me," he said, out of breath. Sable frowned at him. "Why-?"

"I'm sorry," Sable said. "Technically, it's magic though. And I need to see Lucca."

His eyes rolled to the back of his head and he slumped to the floor. Conor stood again, patting Sable on her shoulder. Sable looked between the two and bit her lip.

"Well done," Conor said. "That worked a lot faster than I anticipated."

"Yeah, well, your visions can't get everything right; can they?" Sable shrugged. Conor helped her to her feet.

"Perhaps not," Conor said. He sighed and gently squeezed her hand.

"So, what happened to not taking me to Lucca?" Sable asked when he released her. She watched him grab a bag off the floor, and then followed him into the kitchen.

"I had that vision," Conor sighed. He began putting random food items into the bag. "I forgot how stubborn you can be. It's seriously frustrating. I should have known you were going to attempt something stupid; you have this thing for breaking the rules."

Sable grinned and said, "Sorry, not sorry." Conor looked at her so that she could see him roll his eyes. Her smile fell then at a realization. "You have no blood bags."

"After yesterday's ordeal, I really don't feel like I'm going to be hungry any time soon," Conor chuckled. He walked over to her and gently touched her arm. "You don't need to worry about me. Remember, you're the-"

"I'm the priority; yeah, yeah," Sable said, and that time she was the one to roll her eyes. "So- did you really find us by smell?"

"I found you by your scent," Conor smiled gently. Sable smiled a little too. Conor sighed and closed his eyes. "You were- well, my guiding light, in that scary state of mind I was in. Thankfully I was so weakened by the time I found you..."

Sable patted him on the back; he opened his eyes. She smiled wider and stepped back.

"I have no doubts that you wouldn't have hurt me, at least," she said. Conor wriggled his eyebrows at her.

"Who knows, maybe I would have drank you dry," he said, though she knew he was joking. He lifted the bag up then. "Right, so I gathered a lot of random foods for you to eat. You better not be picky this time, and just eat them; I don't want to make any stops to provide you something else to eat."

"Should be fine," Sable stuck her tongue out at him.

"If you're ready-" Conor started, but Sable silenced him by holding her hand up.

He watched her run off. Sable ran up the stairs and grabbed the blade Akeem had given her. Conor had a brow raised at her when she returned with it.

"Just in case," she said, tying it to her belt. She concealed it with a sash she tied around her waist then.

"Are you ready now?" Conor asked.

"As long as we don't have to go flying through the air, I'll be good," Sable nodded. She gasped then. "Wait- we can't just leave Akeem there like that."

"What do you mean?" Conor asked, his eyebrows furrowed together. She waved her hand at him, and walked over to Akeem, kneeling on the floor next to him.

"We can't just leave him here on the floor like this," Sable said. "It's- it's uncomfortable. It's just not right. Will you help me bring him to his bed? Or even at least to just the sofa? That works, too. And I'm going to write him a little note."

Conor sighed and stared at her. For a long moment he was silent, and then he rolled his eyes again. He made his way over to her and knelt down at her side.

"Fine, but let's hurry," Conor said. "I don't know when your magic will ear off."

"Have more faith in me," Sable said.

They lifted Akeem up and onto the sofa. Sable managed to find some paper and a pen, and so she began to write. She made sure Conor didn't peek over her shoulder to read what she was writing. He remained standing over by the door, waiting for whenever she was ready. Sable hoped that this was one thing he couldn't foresee.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just finished writing chapter 29 today, so chapter 30 is in progress now.