Give Me Your Heart

73: Is It Good News?

Resting her head back against the frame of the chair she sat in, Riley let out a small sigh, her eyes fixed on Alexander who stirred a little in his crib. It had been a few hours, with their families around, both Riley and Gerard had been kept occupied, but when Alexander had started to get a little fussy, Riley had been quick to offer to settle him down for the night, wanting a few moments for herself.

It had been a good day, even if had been a little hectic, and Riley merely wanted a few seconds to herself, even if she knew that it wouldn’t last, she just wanted a few moments of quiet before she headed down to say goodnight.

Shifting her feet a little, she moved to get a little more comfortable in the seat before the sound of the door opening and closing reached her, causing her to peek over the top of the chair, her blue eyes watching as Gerard stepped into the room. “You’re supposed to be downstairs” she mumbled.

“And you were supposed to come back downstairs after Alex fell asleep” Gerard quipped “But you didn’t. You’ve been up here for nearly half an hour, Ry” he added as he padded a little deeper into the room.

“I didn’t mean to be gone for so long” Riley noted softly “I just wanted a second to myself” she added, moving to settle a blanket over her feet.

Gerard offered her a soft smile before he moved to settle down on the floor beside Alexander’s crib. “I don’t blame you for wanting a second” he enthused “It’s been a hectic day” he added gently.

Riley nodded. “It has been” she agreed softly “But it’s been a good one, no?” she added. She had been worried, the idea of both sets of parents being in the same place at the same time made her wary, but she was pleased with how it had gone, even if there had been a few awkward silences and tense moments, she was pleased that everyone seemed to have enjoyed themselves.

Gerard quirked a small smile before he reached up, gently taking her hand in his. “It’s been amazing, Riley” he insisted softly.

Riley watched his hand for a moment, smiling a little at the fit of their fingers before she shook her head. “Gerard” she murmured.

“You’re going to tell me what is on your mind?” Gerard quipped, a teasing smile on his face.

“How do you know there is something on my mind?” Riley countered.

Gerard spluttered out a laugh before he shook his head. “I know you, Ry” he quipped “You’ve been quiet and shy all day” he added with a knowing smile. It had been subtle, when they’d been around other people, Riley had appeared to be bright and cheerful, but when he got her alone, she seemed a little off, something he had noticed almost instantly. It was a trait of hers, when she had something on her mind, she tended to become a little off and quiet, and whilst Gerard had noticed it for a few days, he had opted to ignore it, not wanting to push her before she felt ready to tell him what was bothering her

Riley, who’d started to fiddle with the blanket that covered her, shook her head. “I do have something to tell you” she murmured softly.

“Is it a bad thing?” Gerard quipped.

“I don’t think so” Riley mumbled softly “I mean, it’s a bit quick…very quick, but I am happy about it. I mean, it’s going to take a lot of adapting…”

“Riley” Gerard interjected, cutting off her babbling “Nena, why don’t you just get to the point?” he added, offering her a soft smile.

Riley admired the smile on his face for a second before she dropped her stare towards her hands. “I’m…I’m pregnant” she breathed softly.

Gerard stilled a little at the sound of her words before he lifted his head, his expression more than a little surprised. “What?” he breathed gently.

“I’m pregnant” Riley repeated gently, a sheepish smile on her face.

Gerard blinked a couple of times before he opened his mouth, only to be cut off as the door to the nursery opened, allowing Luis to step inside, a sheepish expression on his face. “We’re all getting ready to head out, Ry” he noted softly.

Riley, who had been looking at Gerard, nodded. “Alright” she mused softly “We’ll be right down” she added.

Luis offered her a polite smile before he ducked out of the room, leaving Riley and Gerard alone once more.

Riley watched the older man out of the room for a moment before she turned towards Gerard, pressing a kiss against his cheek. “We can talk later” she murmured softly “But right now, we need to go and say goodnight” she added before she padded out of the room.

Gerard listened to the sound of her footsteps before he lifted his head, his mind whirring with the words that Riley had said.

~#~
Sitting on the end of the bed, Gerard spared a small sigh, his blue eyes glancing towards the closed bathroom door. It had been a little while, with their parents having taken their time in saying goodnight, it had been almost an hour since Riley had told him that she was expecting their second child, but still he didn’t quite know how to feel about it.

It was something he wanted, he’d always envisaged having more than one child, but the idea of having a second one so soon after Alexander worried him a little, even if he was thrilled at the prospect of welcoming another baby into the world, he didn’t want things between him and Riley to change.

“Are you going to say something?” Riley whispered.

Gerard, who’d been staring down at his feet, startled a little at the sound of her voice before he looked up. “You’re sure?” he posed softly.

“I’ve not been to a doctor yet” Riley mused as she moved to place her dirty clothes into the hamper “But the signs are all there and I did three tests. They were all positive” she added tentatively.

Gerard nodded his head slowly, something which made Riley quirk a nervous smile as she sat beside him. “You know” she teased feebly “This is the first time I think I have ever seen you speechless” she added.

Gerard spared her a small laugh before he dropped his stare, offering her stomach a small look.

Riley watched him for a moment before she moved to collect his hand, placing it against her stomach. “Gerard, I really need you to say something” she murmured gently “I don’t care what it is, I just need you to say words. You’re worrying me” she added, her tone more than a little fretful.

Gerard glanced at his hand for a second before he lifted his head. “We’re having another baby?” he posed.

Riley nodded. “We are” she confirmed “Is that good news for you?” she added.

Gerard eyed his hand for a second longer before he shifted it, placing it against her cheek so that he could pull her into a soft kiss.

Riley startled a little at the sudden action, but smiled into it nevertheless. “You’re happy?” she breathed as she pulled away from him slightly.

Gerard, who had his forehead rested against hers, nodded slightly. “I’m more than happy, Ry” he insisted softly. It was going to be a big change, with a second baby around, things were inevitably going to be different, but still he was thrilled at the news, even if he was slightly worried. He was excited at the prospect of their little family getting bigger.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)