‹ Prequel: United

Divided

The Trail

When we reached the top of the second hill, the sun was going down and we had to sleep. I pulled the blankets out of my bag.

“Do you need one, Prince Jacob?”

He laughed. “No but just call me Jacob.”

“Okay,” I laughed and stretched. “I’m exhausted. It always takes a lot to transform.”

“Why?” he asked.

I put my pack down and used that as a pillow. He put his beside me and turned to see me.

“Do you ever do intense workouts?” I asked and he nodded. “It’s like when you’re done. Your muscles are exhausted and you just want to sleep.” I smiled up at the sky. “But it’s intoxicating.”

“So why don’t you do it more often? Not hunt, but run.”

I shrugged and closed my eyes. “Running is great and everything but it gets lonely.”

“What do you mean?”

I couldn’t bring myself to look him in the eyes so I kept mine closed.

“When two werewolves find their mates, they hunt together,” I explained, knowing my face was pink. “It’s like a wedding among the other races.”

“I see,” he said. He cleared his throat. “Have you… shared a hunt with anyone?”

“No,” I said.

He didn’t respond so I opened an eye. His were closed but he had a satisfied smile on his face. I bit my lip and shut my eyes again, pulling my blanket closer to my body.

-

Wake up, wake up, wake up!

I groaned. “Icefire,” I said. “Do you have to do this every morning?”

We are almost there!

Jacob yawned, sitting up. “We’re one day away, Icefire.”

Let us go!

“Eat first,” he ordered and she made an angry noise but sat on his shoulder to eat what he gave her.

It was the fifth day of our journey. We didn’t talk much. The climb was getting harder. Last night we had reached the base of the mountain and I looked at it while Jacob forced fruit down an impatient Icefire’s throat.

“There’s sort of a trail,” I informed them and he stood beside me as I pointed. “I don’t know how far up it goes but it’s a place to start.”

Jacob handed me my bag and Icefire settled on top of my head. She had been resting on me a lot lately. I didn’t know why but it felt nice.

We began our climb. I had hoped things would be more eventful but, aside from the wolves on our first day, everything got monotonous. Jacob and I got to know each other a little more, though. Mostly it was over dinner. He was a wonderful man and my feelings for him were getting stronger. I was a little scared. What if he wasn’t my mate and, if we tried anything, Bardawulf would still be able to impregnate me?

I shuddered at the thought and Icefire nudged my head.

Worry not. Everything is going to be okay.

“How can you be so sure, Icefire?” I whispered, accepting Jacob’s hand as he helped me jump from one side of a gap to the other.

Because you have Father.

I just nodded. It was getting colder and I struggled getting two blankets to stay on my back.

“Hand me your bag,” Jacob said but I hesitated.

“Will it be too heavy?”

“No,” he laughed. “Elf vampire, remember?”

“Shut up,” I mumbled and shoved it at him.

He laughed and put it on his other. The wind was stronger as we got higher and I gripped onto the blankets as tight as I could. Elder Yovel said I could have Icefire warm me but the only thing I could think of was setting this blanket on fire. I didn’t feel like being burned to a crisp, though.

I frowned. “Why is it dark?” I shouted over the wind.

“Clouds!” Jacob shouted back, pointing. “Could you help us, Icefire?”

Yes, of course.

She lit her tail on fire and flew ahead of us. The trail widened for two people and Jacob held my hand so we wouldn’t get separated. I gripped it tightly, desperately holding on to the blankets at the same time. It was getting harder and harder as we went on, though.

“Hold on!” I shouted and we came to a stop.

I tried to get the blankets to stay but nothing was working. Jacob got in front of me and looked at the blankets. He tore the top a little on each one. I was about to yell but stopped when I saw he was tying them like a cloak.

“Thank you,” I said.

His eyes met mine. My breath hitched in my throat as our hair flew around us. I couldn’t look from his turquoise eyes. It was such a beautiful shade. I didn’t realize it but I was stepping closer to him until our bodies were touching. His eyes closed halfway as he touched my chin, looking at my lips.

Watch out!

We both jumped and I heard Jacob shout as he grabbed me and jumped to the right as rocks crashed down the mountainside. I gasped, watching them cascade where we were just seconds before.

“Let’s move on,” he said. “The sooner we get to the summit, the safer we’ll be.”

I nodded and walked beside him again. He held my hand but it was different this time.

We didn’t stop for another two hours. I sighed at the obstacle in front of us. It was a huge gap. I was sure I would be able to leap over it as a wolf but, when I transformed back, I would freeze to death at this temperature.

I bit my lower lip and took off my blankets. I passed them to a confused Jacob and stretched my neck. I took a deep breath and transformed, my clothes ripping to shreds. I gestured with my head and Jacob climbed onto my back. He was surprisingly light.

I took a few steps back and focused on the gap.

“I hope you know what you’re doing!” Jacob shouted.

I dug my back paws into the dirt before bounding forward. He gripped my fur tightly as I leaped over the gap. My back feet scrambled on the edge, though. Jacob jumped off my back and grabbed my front paws, pulling me over. I took a minute to calm my racing heart.

“Don’t transform!” he said. “It’s too cold. Or do you have to?”

I shook my head and walked behind him, getting exhausted quickly.

We are almost there, M- Tetra, Icefire panted. She was having to flap her wings harder. Half an hour longer!

I just kept walking, too tired to even bark. I focused on Jacob’s back. He kept looking behind him to make sure I was still there until I snapped at him. He got the message, nodded, and walked on. Finally, we reached the summit.

We stood side by side and I gaped at what I saw.