Vulpine Summer

Chapter Twenty-Three

‘Dupont.’

Esme groaned as someone shook her lightly, calling her name. She didn’t want to wake up. She slept well and deeply and was have a pleasant dream of her parents and aunt. She tried to swat them away but her hand was arrested by something warm and rough. She flinched and opened her eyes. Fox was crouched over her with his vibrant eyes narrowed.

‘Don’t go hitting people.’

Esme didn’t say anything and pulled her hand out of his grasp. She disliked how it tingled, as if she could still feel his hand gripping hers still. It felt oddly warm.

‘I am sorry.’ She mumbled as she rubbed her hand curiously.

Fox grunted and rose. ‘We’re going today.’

‘We are?’

‘We can’t go by transport. Both Cuckoo and Elenore say the train-lines and blimp-stations are crawling.’

‘So how are we going to get to the Granite Tower?’ Esme asked in concern. The Granite Tower was far away and trains were necessary to get there in good time. Walking was impossible.

‘Cuckoo is taking us down the country lanes. He’s willing to go as far as Gyle villiage but then we’re going to have to walk it or hitchhike.’

Esme’s nose instantly wrinkled in disgust. Hitchhike. She would have to thumb lifts with strangers? All the way down to the Granite Tower? She was okay with the farmer just outside of town, he seemed friendly enough, but she thought it was a one off.

Fox folded his arms. ‘Hitchhikin’ is the safest way. Buses, trains and blimps are out until I hear good news. You want to get down to the Granite Tower alive right?’

Esme nodded lightly.

‘Then we do it my way. As you promised.’

She sighed lightly. She had promised and she blackmailed Fox in the first place because he’d know how to evade danger best. ‘I will follow.’ She promised softly.

‘Great. Then get dressed and get downstairs. We’re leavin’ soon.’

Instantly Esme was very aware of how naked she was. She could feel the old cold floorboards beneath her and the air made her skin prickle. Her face burned as she pulled the scratchy blanket tightly up to her shoulders and didn’t look at Fox until she heard the door shut, signalling he’d left.

She heaved out a sigh. The fox curse turned out to be the worst when she became human. She was usually asleep when dawn broke so her body changed back when she was at her most vulnerable. So far, Fox hadn’t done anything ungentlemanly and in fact seemed to go out of his way to cover her, which was a surprise. She could recall someone moving her from the windowsill when she still had her fur and whiskers and putting a blanket over her while she slept. She had to assume it was Fox. No one else would think to cover a vixen up. But even so, it was embarrassing.

Very carefully, Esme stood. Her legs wobbled a little but quickly adjusted to being human again. She called out for Absolon but he didn’t respond, signally he was probably floating outside before the sun rose too high, bringing its summer heat with it. She quickly snatched up her clothes and pulled them on before seeking out the bathroom. She poked her head out into the hall of Cuckoo’s home and the scent of cooked food instantly made her stomach gurgle.

‘Get clean first.’ Esme reminded herself and just about managed to keep herself on path to the bathroom and didn’t slink downstairs. She was finding herself growing hungrier as the days slipped by. She wondered if the curse had something to do with it.

When she was in the cluttered bathroom, she flinched when she saw herself in the mirror, forgetting she didn’t quite look herself still. The blonde hair was still there, the short length changing the shape of her face slightly, and her eyes were dull. She wasn’t used to it yet.

Sighing, Esme stripped and turned on the shower and got in quickly instead of waiting for the water to heat up. She scrubbed herself down with the bar of soap she found and gave her short hair a rub, but, as she showered, her hair began to grow. She glanced at the slightly steamed mirror and stiffened. Her natural black colour was beginning to seep through the blond, making her hair look like patchwork, and several locks had grown to its normal length. Elenore had warned her water would cause the glamour to falter but Esme was growing frightened she’d broken it entirely.

She clambered out of the shower and hurried over to the mirror, dripping water everywhere. Her hair was darkening still and growing in length and her eyes were this weird marble of honey yellow and blue. She began to panic.

‘Oh no.’ Esme breathed.

Grabbing a towel, she dashed for the door and poked her head out.

‘Fox!’ She bellowed.

At first she could only hear the clattering of breakfast downstairs. There were no signs Fox was rushing in response to her desperate plea so she shouted again, this time louder. A door now opened and she could hear Fox complaining as he stomped towards the stairs. Esme fidgeted, tugging at her still growing hair, until Fox was finally up the stairs and coming down the hall looking irritated.

He took one look at her and stepped back. She flushed. She didn’t like how he stared at her, like she was some kind of freak.

‘I took a shower.’

‘I can see that.’

‘Have I broken it? I cannot remember what your friend said.’

Fox tilted his head as he gazed at her weird hair and freakish eyes that were still changing every second. She much preferred the smug or grumpy looks he’d give her, not this.

‘She said water makes it weaken but won’t break it. Time or magic will kill it.’

‘So it’ll come back?’ Esme said in relief.

‘Shouldn’t you be able to tell this by yourself? You’re the Wizard here, not me.’ Fox said and folded his arms with a suspicious glare.

She didn’t like the obstinate glint in his eyes so she pulled on the haughtiest expression she could. ‘I cannot use my Grimoire. I told you before. If I use it, the Tower will find me.’

She was happy to see that glint vanish to be replaced by his usual annoyed scowl. She didn’t want him catching onto her weak magic.

‘Well hurry up and get sorted out. We want to leave soon.’ Fox grumbled.

‘But my hair.’ Esme whispered.

‘Cuckoo knows who you are. It don’t matter with him and it’ll fix itself by the time we need to go. Just hurry up.’ Fox said and turned away, marching back down in the depths of the clock shop.

She sighed, suddenly feeling nervous about facing Cuckoo, and pulled herself back into the bathroom, shuffling over to the mirror. Her old hair was virtually back expect for a small blond path in the roots. Her eyes had turned back to the colour of her mother’s. For a brief time, Esme stared at herself and it hit harder than she thought it would. She hadn’t realised how upsetting not seeing her real self was.

Swallowing the tears back down, Esme breathed slowly before rubbing her hair madly. After a few seconds, she pulled the towel away. The blond patch had grown and the length was receding again.

‘Well at least the spell isn’t broken.’ She said while not feeling an ounce of happiness.

She pulled her clothes on and trundled the creaking stairs into the lounge of Cuckoo’s home. It was cluttered in here, almost as badly as his workshop, but with books instead of tools and cogs. She stood nervously in the whirlwind of mess. She could hear Fox and Cuckoo in the kitchen and the scent of warm food churned her stomach with excitement but she felt scared. Fox said Cuckoo knew who she was. Did that mean Cuckoo was an enemy now? It didn’t matter now though. He knew and nothing could change that.

Esme moved through the towers of books and passed the old chairs until she reached the door. Pushing it open lightly, she peered inside.

Cuckoo was cleaning up his kitchen with the help of Fox, which surprised her. There had been no signs of knowing how to clean plates at all in Fox’s room.

Cuckoo turned to see her hiding at the doorway. He smiled, just as he always had done since she met him yesterday.

‘Don’t hide. Come in. I saved you food.’ Cuckoo said as he pulled a plate from his stove and placed it on the small table. ‘Eat. We have a bit of a drive today.’

Esme sat at the table and was surprised to see a full cooked breakfast with food that didn’t look dirt cheap. She dug in quickly and listened as Fox and Cuckoo explained what was going to happen.

Esme and Fox were going to sit in the back of his old van while Cuckoo would take them on a four hour drive through the back country up to a small village called Gyle. From there, Fox and Esme would either hitchhike or walk through the dense and hilly woodland to the next safe place, a large factory town known as Alton which was about a day from the village. The River Willow streamed through it and it was close to the large city, Havern.

‘We ain’t steppin’ in there though.’ Fox warned. ‘There’s a Wizard college there, but more importantly it’s claimed by the Shadows.’

‘Shadows?’ Esme echoed as she scooped baked-beans into her mouth, still confused about why Cuckoo was in on Esme’s plight and why he was helping her out of it. Fox was taking it in his stride though so she’d follow suit. He knew him better.

‘One of our rival guilds.’ Cuckoo said, smiling softly. ‘Unless you have permission, you don’t go to Havern.’

‘So we’ll slip by it through Alton. The Fingers have that town. Warbler will help us.’

‘Who’s Warbler?’

‘A doctor and fence.’ Cuckoo said. ‘He is a good man.’

‘We can contact Elenore there, see what she’s got for us and then move on. From Alton, it’ll take about three weeks on foot to reach the border. After that, another week to get to the Granite Tower. This is if everythin’ goes smoothly.’

Esme swallowed her food slowly. Now she understood why the blimps and trains were important. Getting about was difficult without them.

‘And we really can’t use any public transports?’

‘Not until Elenore says we can. Some areas could be safe for a single stop and if we sneak on but most lines are connected to cities. Those places will be the worst for us.’ Fox said and moved to the door after glancing at the clock. It was six in the morning now. ‘I’ll grab stuff so we can leave soon.’

Esme nodded and sighed when he vanished. This was going to take a long time.

‘Our lands are large.’ Cuckoo said as he took her plate to clean. ‘But the Fingers will help you pass through.’

Esme watched him as he dunked the plate into the soapy water. ‘You know who I am.’

‘Yes.’

‘Why are you helping me?’

‘Because I believe you didn’t murder anyone.’

Esme flushed. That was the first time anyone other than Spirits had said that. She felt her throat catch. She coughed lightly to clear it.

‘Why?’

‘Whoever murdered the Grand Wizard was strong, far stronger than you, and I also don’t believe you are capable of murder.’

‘You have barely spoken to me though.’

‘I trust my gut and it tells me you’re bein’ hunted down and the Tower is acting strangely. They claim you did the killin’ even though you haven’t got the strength in you, haven’t checked your truth and Spirits are tryin’ to guard you from them.’ He paused and turned his old watery eyes onto her. ‘Who did the murder?’

Esme hesitated as the memories of her aunt’s last painful moments flashed. ‘Suellen Denver. I witnessed it.’

Cuckoo hummed deeply, fully aware of the name. ‘And she’s taken the Tower and hunts you down.’ He wiped the plate thoughtfully. ‘I’ll look into it, see if I can find somethin’ to expose her while you run.’

‘You do not have to. It’s dangerous.’ Esme stammered.

Cuckoo waved his soapy hand. ‘I won’t get my nose in too deep but I want to find somethin’ to show Doe. She’ll be interested in this. She won’t like the Tower goin’ through a power struggle and change. Could spell somethin’ bad for the Fingers.’ He placed the clean plate on the draining board. ‘I’ll send word to Warbler to expect you but not tell him who you are. A large bounty is on your head and not everyone in our Guild is noble and well meanin’. Do not trust us all. Keep yourself hidden in front of everyone unless Reynard says it’s safe.’

Esme nodded as her face blushed with joy. He believed her. Cuckoo thought she was innocent. ‘I will. I’ll do what Fox says.’

Cuckoo smiled approvingly as Fox came bundling in.

‘Cuckoo, let’s get that car ready.’ He said impatiently.

‘Yes, Reynard.’

‘Fox.’

‘Fox.’ Cuckoo corrected as always.

Fox chucked something as Esme. ‘Get that on your head. It’ll cover up your weird hair.’

Esme frowned at him angrily. Her hair wasn’t that weird anymore. She could feel the glamour organising itself but there were still dark patches and some long strands. She stuffed the hat over her head and carefully tucked up the loose bits of hair, hoping no one was out to notice her peculiar features.

Esme followed Cuckoo and Fox back out of the kitchen and into the workshop. The ticking of clocks had always been a constant sound in the background, one Esme could ignore, but it grew to a deafening crescendo of ticking and whirring. She moved through hurriedly after them and stepped out of the front of the shop.

It was cold out. The sun was barely peaking up through the clouds and there was a thick mist curling about Clockton, invading the crooked lanes and lumpy roads in full force. Absolon was sitting in the flowerpot, singing softly with another wood sprite. Esme smiled.

‘There you are.’ She mumbled and scooped him up.

He didn’t complain and giggled happily at her embrace, settling into her arms and chest. She rocked him gently as she took a few steps to the edge of the shop. A small garage, which was tucked beside the shop down a sloping driveway, was now flung open wide. Inside, was an old clunky van that Fox and Cuckoo were fussing over. It appeared to have been sat there for a while, unused. Cobwebs were sewn carefully from wing-mirror to door and covered the worn leather seats inside and rust had eaten some of the emerald green and brown paintwork.

‘Didn’t think it was this messy.’ Cuckoo said to himself as he pulled away a particularly large cobweb, causing its owner to drop to the garage floor and scurry away.

‘Will it work?’ Esme asked as she gazed at the old contraption.

‘It should do and if not, I’ll make it work again. Promised to get you two to Gyle and I will.’ Cuckoo said brightly.

Fox huffed, his expression grave. ‘We don’t have time to faff about.’

Cuckoo ignored him as he yanked open the door, releasing a cloud of dust into the dawn air. Fox glowered behind him as Cuckoo set to work. He checked and tinkered with the engine while Fox pumped up the tires and Esme cleaned the cobwebs away. Before long, Cuckoo was sitting in his old van and, after Fox had finished cranking the engine, he turned the key.

The exhaust coughed into life and the whole thing rattled loudly.

‘It works.’ Cuckoo said triumphantly.

‘See if it can get up the drive first.’ Fox said, trying to make sure he was heard over the noise.

Cuckoo bobbed his head and slammed the door shut. Esme shuffled out of the way and backed up further into the garage while Fox moved further up the drive. After some groaning of gears and metal, the van pulled its way out of the garage and out onto the lane. It was ready.

Fox was quick to get Esme organised. He ran inside, gathered up their pack and chucked it in the back of the van while Esme helped Cuckoo shut up the garage and his shop. As he pocketed his shop door key, Cuckoo turned to Esme.

‘Time to leave. Get in. It’ll be a few hours before we get to Gyle.’ Cuckoo said.

Esme bobbed her head and held Absolon tighter. ‘Thank you.’

Cuckoo simply smiled and pushed her towards the back of the van and climbed in the driver’s seat.

Esme went to the back and noticed Fox was settled in the depts of the van, organising the cushions around himself.

‘You gettin’ in or what?’

Esme frowned at his tone but pushed Absolon inside and clambered up. She pulled her bag over from Fox’s space to check over everything, noting most importantly her Grimoire was snuggled deep within. Happy, she reached out to close the door but stopped when Fox suddenly scrambled forward and knelt beside her, gazing out at the narrow street.

She flinched at the closeness and shuffled away from him. ‘I know how to close van doors.’ Esme said defensively.

Fox didn’t respond and instead remained fixated on something else. She didn’t like his expression. It was a mix of confusion and anger. She peered down the road and saw only an elderly woman coming out of her house and a tall man wearing thick sunglasses coming down the road.

‘How’d he find me?’ Fox whispered urgently.

‘Who?’ Esme stammered. ‘The man with the glasses?’

She narrowed her eyes at the stranger curiously. He didn’t feel dangerous but she sensed something from him. Something almost Spirit-like.

Suddenly Esme was shoved back into the van by Fox and she fell back into the cushions. Fox slammed the doors shut, opened the small shutter to let some air in and scrabbled to the back so he could bash his fist against the wall of the driver’s compartment.

‘Let’s get goin’ Cuckoo!’ Fox bellowed hurriedly.

In an instant that van was alive, rumbling and rattling. The groaning of gears screeched about the van as it began to roll forward, unhappy that it was being forced to more after such a long peaceful time in the garage. Fox was instantly back up against the van’s doors, peering out the small hatches with his mouth frowning firmly. She didn’t like how tense he was and it made her anxious.

‘Should we be worried about him?’ Esme asked as Absolon snuggled down beside her.

Fox shrugged but he didn’t answer. She didn’t like that. Either the stranger was a threat or, worse, Fox didn’t know.

‘Don’t matter. He can’t follow us no more. Just sleep. Goin’ to be a while before we stop.’ He advised as he settled himself amongst the cushions and carefully pulled down his hat to cover his eyes.

Esme didn’t sleep however. She crawled forward and looked out the back of the van, inhaling the fresh air and gentle warming breeze. The world was hurrying by and, before she knew it, they’d exited Clockton’s final road and entered the wide meadows and farms surrounding it.

She leant her head against the side of her small compartment and gazed sleepily. They trundled over a bridge that curved over the smaller length of River Oak and she saw the Spirit perched up on the walls, watching with her wild eyes. Esme waved. River Oak waved back before she was swallowed up by trees and Esme was moved further away from her old friend’s domain.

Esme sighed sadly and reached out to cuddle Absolon to curb the sudden loneliness. All the friends she had were now in this car; two thieves and a young Sprite. She hoped that was all she was going to need to protect her truth and keep herself alive.