Vulpine Summer

Chapter Fifty

Bull stared at the floor. Her lips were thin and her nose flaring. Despite promising to get Fox out of trouble, she was clearly very upset that it was now confirmed she had to.

‘Doe warned me how bull-headed and foolish he could be. If he wasn’t good at his job, she would’ve kicked him out long ago. Always ignoring orders and protocol, she said specifically.’ Bull rubbed her mouth. ‘She’s definitely fond of him to keep him on.’

Esme didn’t breathe a word. She just waited for Bull to formulate some kind of plan so she can hurry up and get Fox back. But what Bull said made her stomach plummet.

‘I need information. I’ll use my scouts to figure of where he is and the immediate danger. You’re to stay put until we know more.’

‘But Fox could be dead soon!’ Esme blustered as her heart pounded painfully. He’d been close to death once and that had terrified her. She couldn’t go through that again.

‘Not knowing anything is why he’s in the mess in the first place.’ Bull said firmly then placed her hand on Esme’s shoulder to comfort her. ‘Wait. I’ll find him but first you must be moved.’

‘Moved?’

‘I don’t know who has the lad but I have to assume that this place is compromised now. Fox will talk.’

Esme flushed and her mouth frowned sharply ‘No. No he would not. He’d fight for me!’

‘Vixen, you of all people should know what Wizards are capable of. They don’t need to torture him to get him to talk.’ She stared at Vixen face, watching as the knowledge dawned on her. ‘I’ll get someone to take you some place safe.’

‘But Fox…’

‘Leave the stupid lad to me but you’re top my priorities. If they find you here, the Fingers are screwed. No one can prove that we’re helping you!’

Bull turned to hurry to her den, leaving Esme and Absolon alone in the hall. Esme felt the pit of her stomach fall and her head and heart began to argue. The most sensible thing to do was what Bull said. She had no idea where Fox was, what kind of trouble he was in and it was most likely going to put her right in the cross-hairs of the police. But her heart said otherwise. It ached at the idea of not doing anything and she felt the strong heavy guilt weighing down on her, like she was abandoning Fox. She couldn’t do that. She glanced at the door where the dusk’s beams were shining through. She didn’t have long.

Esme stared up at Absolon who drifted in the air, completely unaware of the stress she was under. Absolon could guide her.

‘Absolon. Can you take me to Fox?’

Absolon whirled himself up right and whistled. His eyes shone in confirmation.

Esme glanced back down the hall, wondering how angry Bull was going to be and how much danger she was going to chuck herself into. But it was Fox. Fox needed her. She wasn’t going to let him down.

‘Take me there.’

*

It was just as nerve-wracking as the last time she entered a town, alone and trying to save Fox’s life. Back then it had been a huge maze of roads and filled to the brim with police and White Wizards. This time there were lazy lanes with the odd pottering car and beautifully dressed men and women, talking haughtily in gaggles.

Absolon took her through the lanes, not paying too much attention to the police which frustrated Esme. She’d have to duck down into a small alley or bow her head and pray the didn’t notice her. It made her very relieved that Glenna and Catriona had glamour her. This whole rescue endeavour would be very difficult if she looked more like Esme Dupont and not some rugged, poor boy.

Esme marched through the lanes and plodded up twisting road. She kept glancing nervously at the sky, watching as dusk grew stronger. How much time did she have? She needed hands and feet to help Fox, not useless foxy paws. She had to hurry.

Picking up the pace, Esme finally too her eyes from the sky and came to a sudden stop. With her heart in her mouth, she dove to hide behind a large tree and gazed further up the road.

A large house, although not quite as big as the houses in Lakeside, had caught her attention. Police cars with their silent whirring lights were parked outside. Three policemen were talking to a very haughty looking man. By the looks of their demeanour and stances, she guessed they were arguing. Maybe she could slip by while they were distracted. She wasn’t sure.

‘Absolon.’ Esme called in a hushed tone.

Absolon popped up beside her gleefully.

‘Is he in that house?’

Absolon nodded.

She turned her gaze back to the house, scowling in thought. The walls were high and topped with wrought iron. She remembered how difficult she found it climbing the fence surrounding the cargo station and doubted she could manage that on her own. She had to get in. Maybe there was a servants door she could slip through, a back gate. If the police were here, she didn’t have long before Fox was caught and now was as good a chance as any.

Sucking in the warm evening air, Esme pushed up. She kept herself to the side of the road, hidden in the controlled shrubbery and trees. She nearer she drew, the more her heart hammered and the more her ears heard.

‘If you’ve got a member of the Fingers, hand him over.’

‘Look, I have repeated myself time and time again. I will only confirm I have him if you confirm that the reward price be doubled and handed over before I show you anyone.’

The policeman sighed in exasperation. ‘I told you, we can’t negotiate any higher. And if you don’t comply, we’ll be forced to arrest you.’

The man seemed to ignore the comment. ‘This man is potentially linked to the death of the Ivory Grand Wizard, a dangerous criminal, and you won’t give a higher reward?’

‘We can’t.’

Esme didn’t like how the policemen were acting now. They were growing impatient, tapping their feet and looking very disgruntaled. She didn’t have much time. She had to get Fox out.

Esme marched across the road, keeping her hat lot and praying the didn’t see her. She half expected someone to call out and stop her but no such demands came. She followed Absolon’s floating shape down the side of the house, running by the tall wall and hoping a door popped up. It did.

‘Open it.’ Esme puffed as she stared at it.

It looked expensive with some kind of bleeping lights and mechanism. Clearly is was a tesla gate, one with alarms and electrical current.

‘Be careful not to trip anything.’ She pressed.

Absolon didn’t seem to be listening however and had buried his long, tendril arms into the lock, singing as he worked. In a couple of minutes, the lights blinked off and the sound of electricity died in low drone. The door swung open.

‘Well done.’ Esme praised as she pushed the door further and peeked inside.

A gravel path lined in shrubs met her. She glanced up and down, noting a gardener mowing the garden at the back and a guard smoking at the front. She was stuck. Absolon however was before a large window, whistling and wiggling to get her attention. Slinking low and hoping her huge self didn’t get noticed, she crept up to the window and glanced inside.

Her heart did this weird summersault of both pain and joy. Fox was there, alive, but he was tied to a chair, gagged, unconscious and had dried blood encrusted around his nose and bruises touched several areas of his face, swelling it in places. Anger flared. Who had hurt him?

In the small room, a pantry by the looks of it, someone moved by the door. A man wearing a black suit and with a mean sneer to his face. Esme glared at him. Had he been the one who hurt Fox?

Grinding her teeth, she ducked further below the window. ‘Absolon. Can you distract him? Keep his attention on you and not in a way that causes alarm.’

Absolon saluted swiftly then vanished in a gentle pop. Esme waited until she heard it, the song of a Sprite sending someone into a waking dream crept through the crack in the window. It was these songs which often caused people to become lost within Spirit territories or to lose memories.

Esme peeked up after a few moments and, at seeing the mean looking man slack jawed and swaying in time with Absolon, she slipped her thin fingers into the crack and very cautiously pushed open the window. She was nervous about making too much noise. It wouldn’t take much to wake up him.

Trying her best to be as elegant as possible, she tumbled into the pantry after a few grunting tugs of her gangly legs. Inside, she quickly glanced over Fox. He was still out and she still felt a tug at her heart when she saw his bloody nose and a bruising around his eye.

Turning her eyes to glare at the man she assumed had hurt him, Esme quickly grasped a hefty looking jar filled with pickling eggs. With two long cautious strides, she positioned herself hind him. Raising the jar, she readjusted her grip and settled her breathing. This wasn’t going to kill him. Only make him sleep.

Putting what strength she possessed into the swing, she brought the thick jar and smashed it over the guard’s head. In moments he was at her feet, unconscious and unmoving. She didn’t dare to check him over.

‘Well done, Absolon.’ Esme breathed in relief. Absolon giggled at the praise. ‘Now keep the door locked and let me know of trouble. The police are going to come any moment now.’

Absolon nodded and pressed his little body against the handle as Esme rushed to Fox. She touched his face, turning it to face her.

‘Fox. Fox, wake up!’ She hissed, shaking him lightly. He didn’t respond.

Tutting, she dove to the back of the chair and began working on the rope.

‘You’re absolutely moronic, Fox. I cannot believe you got yourself into such a mess! You should’ve just stayed with Bull and waited for the opportunity to pass over the Eye if you were so desperate to return to your job.’ Esme grumbled in frustration under her breath.

‘Esme?’ A voice murmured.

Esme froze then yanked the last of the rope away and quickly kneeled in front of Fox. She held him up lightly as he blinked in bewilderment then smiled at her brightly.

‘It is you, Esme.’

Esme felt her face burn. He was using her forename! He’d never done it before and it oddly made her stomach twist with pleasure at hearing it from him.

‘Absolon and I came to get you.’ She stammered through her blushing.

Fox bobbed his head then pressed his face into his hands, rubbing it hard as if he was trying to chase away the drowsiness. She rubbed his back gently, waiting patiently while feeling the pressure to get moving growing.

‘Didn’t go as planned.’

‘I can see that.’

‘Need to get out.’

‘I know.’

‘Do you have a plan?’

Esme didn’t respond. She had no real plan, nothing other than going back the way they came and hope they can slip by the police outside. Then Absolon began to whistle softly. She turned sharply to him and he was staring at her in warning. Voices began to echo outside the door.

Fox and Esme had run out of time. They had to leave. Now.

She hauled Fox onto his feet, pulling him into her as he stumbled, seemingly disorientated, and tried her best to ignore the tingly sensation spreading through her skin at having him so close to her. He still needed time to readjust but they didn’t have it. The voices outside the door were growing loud and the doorknob rattled.

A fist banged against the door. ‘Greer! Greer open the door!’

Esme swallowed thickly then shoved Fox to the window. She had to get out of this pantry before the path got blocked off. After that, she just prayed something would go her way for once and both she and Fox got out of this mess alive.