Vulpine Summer

Chapter Fifty-One

Fox was feeling sick. His head rung badly and there was pain pressing into the back of his eyes. His lip was swollen, his nose stung and he swore something was broken in his chest. All because he decided to fulfil his contract and his contractor had gone rogue. Luckily though, greed had protected Fox from the White Wizards for a while, but not fists. Fox was trained to take a pummelling though and kept his mouth shut about Dupont and every single Fence who was in on her escape. Regardless of whether the Fingers had gone to ground, this contractor was going to be in a lot of trouble with them.

Fox had resigned to the fact he had failed and was going to die or give up Dupont’s location un-willingly. He cursed himself over and over, hating himself for being caught and putting Dupont in such danger. The knowledge Bull was going to spirit her away and he’d never see her again was worse though. He knew Bull wasn’t going to give her up to him now he was known as a Finger and the idea that Dupont was going to be saved by someone else just tasted bitter to him. It made his chest tighten and throat close up. And then, much to his surprise, he heard her voice and smelt her scent. He called out her name and there was, her eyes wide with relief and her mouth pulled into a grin. Never in his time with he did he think he’d feel such pure relief and joy at seeing her. And it wasn’t because he was saved for a further beating and magical torture. No, it was the fact he saw her again.

Fox grunted as Dupont pushed him through the window. She was hurrying him and he understood why by the increasing shouts behind the parlour door, but he wished she’d be a little nice with him. Everything ached and he collapsed heavily onto the path outside, wincing from the sunlight that barrelled into his eyes.

Dupont was on him, hauling him to his feet and holding him close. He liked how soft and warm she felt, how she enveloped him so carefully and murmured to him. It oddly made him feel safe.

What the hell am I thinking…

‘Fox, Fox I need you to get your head together.’ Dupont grunted as she pulled through a gateway and out into the immaculate lawn tucked between the two manors. ‘I need you functioning. I don’t know what to do next.’

Fox glanced up, gazing at her pale face and how her brow was furrowed in fear. She’d chucked herself into the fire to get him out but was rapidly realising she was in over her head. He had to step up. She needed him to or she’d be arrested. The idea of her getting executed by gunfire was all the motivation he needed.

Fox blinked, trying to ignore the pain in him, and get himself to actually pay attention to what was going on. He turned the garbled shouts into demands to find him. He turned the blurry vision into brick walls and grass. He tried to get his feet moving faster, putting more weight onto himself than on Dupont.

Soon he was running, his whole body jarring with every step that made him want to curl into a ball. Pain meant he was alive though. So long as he hurt and breathe, he had to keep moving.

Fox was quickly glancing about the road, figuring out the best course of action. The police were mobilising outside Chamber’s house. That was bad. He glanced about noting the massive walls surrounding massive houses and the lack of places to hide. That was also bad. There was a crack and something thudded into the tree beside him. Gunfire. That was very bad.

But Fox spied something further up the road, a red van marked with Postal Service with its door open. He may never have owned a car but he knew out to drive one.

He snatched up Dupont’s hand and dragged her towards it. She realised where he was heading and needed no more encouragement. She raced beside him, calling Absolon to remain close as the little Sprite pinged bullets to the side.

They bundled inside and slammed the doors. Fox, glad the car was already running, was instantly putting into gear as the poor delivery man came rushing up, waving his hands and demanding they stop.

‘Should you really be driving?’ Dupont demanded as she strapped herself in.

‘Can you?’ She was silent. ‘Then we have no choice!’

Fox pumped the peddle and the car flew off down the wide, swirling road lined with expensive houses.

He had hoped that he’d had a good enough head start ahead of the police but Dupont was quick to dash away that hope. She swivelled around, wincing at how she was battered about by his careless driving, and stuck her head out of the window. She squeaked when something pinged off the wingmirror, shattering the glass.

Fox grabbed her shoulder and yanked her back inside. ‘Head in.’ He hissed.

Dupont scowled at him. ‘The police are following.’

The sirens wailing and growing increasingly louder was enough to tell him that information. He pushed the car harder, pilling in more power and trying to gain speed, all the while trying his best to stay awake. His head spun and his eyes hurt as he quickly tracked the road slipping by rapidly. He was finding it exhausting to pay attention to his surroundings while controlling a fast moving vehicle. The houses around him were growing in number and shrinking in size and, more alarmingly, more cars.

He swerved violently to the side when a black oil-car tried to pull out of a junction, barely clipping it and barrelled inwards, ignoring the heated shouts following him. He tore through zebra crossing, scattering people to the wind, and completely ignored the red light of a round-a-bout. He bounced over the very neatly cut lawn, tearing up grass and flowers, and flew just before a large bus, causing it to shriek and swerve to a halt.

The car barrelled down the busiest road in town, surrounded by shoppers and restaurants and the road conjested with cars. Fox yanked the wheel back and forth, trying to avoid hitting anything while keeping up his speed. But, when he glanced in the wingmirror, his heart sunk in dread. New police cars had joined the flock and, poking their head out one, was a White Wizard; book fluttering and glowing beneath his hand. Where they seriously going to use magic in a populated area?

‘Can’t you do something, Dupont?’ He demanded as he returned his focus on the road quickly running out.

‘Like what?’

‘Magic?’ Dupont flushed and fumbled for her grimoire. ‘I can try.’

‘Try quickly then!’ Fox snapped and took a turn so sharp that the car briefly left the ground before belting off down a new road. He had no idea where he was going. He just needed to get Dupont away.

Fox winced and Dupont ducked down when the window behind them shattered. Glass showered the vans innards, covering backs of mail and boxes in sharp shards. Fox was more concern with the very thick icicle buried in one of the large bags.

‘Hurry!’

Beside him, Dupont was holding her fingers against her book, summoning what magic she could as she shook violently and tried to keep herself steady. He’d heard of how weak she was and seen her practicing now and then but the tiny little flame she conjured was unbelievable.

‘I thought you were a bloody Wizard?!’

Dupont was a vibrant shade of red, her eyes fiery with anger. ‘I am, just not a very good one!’

Another icicle shot into the car, this time sailing straight through and out the front window, flowering it into a spectacular shower of glass. Fox shoved Dupont’s head down and he turned his head, all the while still continuing to drive and keep an eye on the road.

‘This is getting dangerous.’ Dupont murmured in fear as she turned to glance behind us.

And it was about to get worse. So far, the shooting had stopped while they were in the heart of town but now the buildings were beginning to thin out. The road slunk ahead into sloping farms and fields, looping around to a massive bridge that connected two sides of rather fat river. The police were going to start firing again as soon as the run of houses ended.

‘Absolon!’ Fox shouted. Absolon whistled nervously. ‘Keep those bullets off of us!’

Fox hated the obstinate look the Sprite gave him, as if he didn’t hear anything Fox said, but Dupont pressed Fox’s point.

‘I know the magic is too strong for you but you must keep those bullets away. We cannot stop, Absolon!’

This time Absolon listened and closed his eerie eyes, swamping the car in a shield.

‘He will not last, Fox. He’s just a baby.’ Dupont said nervously.

Fox really needed him to, especially when a police-car pulled up beside him.

‘Pull over or we’ll be obligated to use excessive force!’

Fox refused to look at the White Wizard and his grimoire and kept his eyes focused on the cluster of trees ahead.

‘You are already using excessive force!’ Dupont shouted hotly over him. ‘Leave us alone!’

‘Pull! Over!’

‘No!’

‘Hold tight, Dupont.’ Fox muttered quickly and, before waiting for her to grab onto her seat, Fox yanked the car to the right and smashed it heavily into the police-car.

With the help of Absolon’s shield, the car was held of the road and careened into the thick tree, totalling it instantly and preventing it from following. Fox’s car zoomed off, streaming for the bridge and still very closely followed by the rest of the horde of law enforcements.

They weren’t going to go much further though. Absolon did his best pinging off the bullets but he could do nothing about the magic. Just as the car surged to the bridge, fire suddenly exploded in the back. It was hot and searing, heating everything it touched and eating through anything it could. Toxic smoke filled up the entire car in no time, forcing itself down his throat and stinking his eyes. Dupont gasped and hacked beside him, a sound he hated. They had no choice.

‘Bail!’

Fox was out, tumbling away from the car that fled from him billowing smoke and flames. He landed awkwardly on his arm and his whole body hummed from the disturbed bruising. He lay there for a few seconds, sucking in air and trying to overcome the swelling of pain before raising his head to observe his surroundings. Dupont had taken a few seconds extra to jump from the car and was further down the bridge, coughing and wincing with Absolon fussing. Had she hurt herself?

Fox stood and stumbled to her, hunkering down and placing a hand on her blond head as she hauled fresh air into her lungs. Her eyes were red from smoke and she felt warm to the touch and soot dusted her hair.

A loud thunderous explosion echoed from across the bridge. Fox looked up, glaring at the boiling smoke and fire that emanated from the remains of the stolen postage van. He frowned and glanced at Dupont still coughing as Absolon brushing her nose in comfort. Something hot and angry churned in his stomach.

The wailing of police cars came to a sudden stop not far from him. Fox watched with narrowed eyes as the police and White Wizards got out; grimoires and pistols ready.

‘You are both under arrest for resisting arrest and for connections with the death of the Ivory Grand Wizard and the criminal organisation known as the Fingers!’ A policeman roared. ‘Stay where you are and no harm will come to you.’

A pair of policemen began to edge forward, hands full of handcuffs. Fox made to stand by Dupont’s hand snatched out and grabbed his collar, holding fast. She shook her head and a weak, fearful smile came to her. He hated that look.

‘It’s okay.’ She murmured. ‘I will tell them I blackmailed you and you had nothing to do with it.’

‘You’re givin’ up?’ Fox snapped.

She hesitated. ‘No, but you could get hurt. This is not something we can escape from easily.’

‘No. We can get out. I’ve got us out of all troubles so far, yeah? I can get us out again.’ Fox said tightly and shook her hand free to stand in front of her protectively.

He didn’t know what he was going to do. Too many guns were tailing them this time and too many grimoires were armed and ready to go. It wasn’t like back when Billy dumped in hot water. The town gave them chances to evade and hide and the river was strong enough to pull them to safety. The river here was weak and there was no cover. He didn’t want to admit it but they were at a potential dead in.

Fox squeezed his fists. ‘I’ll die first.’

Fox never had much of chance to see if he’d actually go through with the sentiment. A loud shrill sound that set his teeth on edge and his skin tingle exploded beside him. He glanced down in bewilderment and saw Dupont, red faced, blowing in a whistle.

‘What’re you doin’? Fox demanded but she didn’t answer, just kept blowing.

‘He’s a Witch! All officers, get back and don’t shoot! Rest of you, stop him!’ A White Wizard shouted and pulled out a fireball from his grimoire.

Just as he threw it, Fox grabbed Dupont and yanked her out of the way and Absolon knitted together a shield. She let out a small cry as heat surged by and flames spattered against the bridge, scorching the brick.

‘Dupont, you’ve just upset them!’ He bellowed.

She glared at them and blew on the whistle again, earning another fireball.

‘What’re you expectin’ to happen?’ Fox hissed as he watched a White Wizard storm forward. He didn’t like the looks of the white mist that was drifting out of his Grimoire.

Suddenly, the earth shook and groaned, making everyone stumble and fall silent. Still was a tree, Fox stood by Dupont, his heart in his throat as, in the distance, one of the knolls began to wobble. Folding out and shaking away the earth, an absolutely massive woman began to emerge.

Fox had no words; not even the White Wizards knew what to do as the woman unfurled herself, standing at full height with her skin breaking into moss, rock and mud. Bald and with vibrant gold eyes, she instantly began to bare down on them, her huge legs very rapidly closing the distance.

Each heavy foot that smashed into the earth, scatting terrified birds and flocks, sent a tremor that shook Fox to the core. The giant Spirit at least was distracting the White Wizards. Suddenly they were turning on her, grimoires glowing, and chucked all kinds of spells at her. The Spirit didn’t seem to care however and she waved a hand lazily. The earth responded and broke through the broke, swallowing up each Wizard, policeman and car in its tight embrace. They screamed and yelled, some in terror, some in anger, but none could get out.

The Spirit came forward until eventually crouched before them. Fox stared up at her, noting he had never seen a naked human so big. She was bigger than the tallest building in Lakeside and broader too. Her skin was incredibly pale but broken apart by rock and earth and bright green veins pulsed with light.

While Fox didn’t move, Dupont stepped forward and curtsied lightly.

‘Hello, Lord Frangag. Thank you for answering my call.’

‘Anything for the one under the protection of the Everwood God.’ Frangag said.

‘Can you get us away from here? We’re not safe.’

‘Yes, Bloxham Sprite. Climb upon this one’s hand.’

She held out a huge hand, the movement itself creating a large gust of wind, and Dupont didn’t hesitate to haul herself up with Absolon drifting after her. Once settled, Dupont gestured for Fox to follow, leaning forward to hold out a hand but then hesitated and recoiled. She suddenly looked so alone and sad.

‘I can go from here, Fox. You do not need to come anymore.’ She said with a thin, miserable smile. ‘Frangag will take me to the Granite Tower.’

Fox didn’t quite understand what she was saying, all he knew was that it irritated him. He stormed forward and clambered up himself, glad his nimbleness made up for his tiny stature.

‘I’m goin.’

She blinked slowly, her mind obviously trying to grasp what he was doing. ‘But I gave you back the Eye.’

‘I know. Still goin’ though. I know you didn’t kill your aunt.’ He turned to hold her wide eyes firmly with his. ‘I’m not abandonin’ you.’

A pink glow took her face and tears were glistening in her eyes while her mouth wobbled. His heart beat hurriedly, suddenly terrified he’d upset her somehow and was doing the exact opposite of what she wanted. She had broken the blackmail after all…

‘I can go if you want, really.’

‘No!’ Dupont bellowed out and abruptly flung herself at him. Her weight toppled him backwards and he didn’t even try to pry her off. The grip she had around his neck was much too strong. It also felt like she was crying and, by how proud she was, he wasn’t even going to acknowledge that.

‘I really thought you were going to leave me.’ She babbled against his shoulder.

‘No. I’m stayin’.’ Fox grumbled and sighed heavily.

He lay there, arms wrapped around her as she bawled her heart out, and watched as the clouds drifted by swiftly with every step Frangag took.

*

It was night and Esme was curled up beside Fox, tucked in his arms to keep him warm alongside Absolon. It was cold so high up, despite Frangag shielding them as best as she could from the night winds as she took them straight to the Granite Tower. Fox slept deeply, snuffling from some kind of dream. Esme watched him, her golden eyes fixated on him while her heart continued to flutter madly. It hadn’t stopped for hours.

He’d stayed. She couldn’t quite believe it but he had chosen to stay with her. He believed her and was willing to continue to help her. It made her heart soar.

As she watched him, her own body buzzing with excitement, she began to come to a realisation. It was like the confusion and denial had lifted and a revelation had settled on her. She understood why she had been so scared of him abandoning her, why she had been so jealous, why she had wanted to kiss him, why she felt so hot and embarrassed when he gave her certain looks and why she had exploded with so much joy and giddiness she cried when he said he wasn’t going anywhere. Esme could see her aunt laughing at her now, telling how silly and foolish she had been, how obvious the answer to her bewilderment was and how scared Esme had been of facing the truth.

Esme was in love with Fox. She adored him, from his stupid way of talking to his smug face, and she wanted him to stay beside her forever. She wanted to get to know him more, to argue with him and to show him she’s not one of the snobby unfeeling Wizards he had assumed she was. It made the desire to survive that much stronger. She had to live. She just had to if she wanted to try show Fox that she was a woman he could love back. She had no idea now why she hadn’t wanted to admit it because, now she was looking at him with no denial running about her head, he was amazing to her.

But she knew the Granite Tower may not bring her the salvation she dreamt of and instead the death she’d been running from. She knew that, even if she desperately wanted it, she may be taken from Fox and never see him again. Something may go horrifically wrong that resulted in both of their deaths.

But for now, Esme was at peace sleeping beside Fox, pretending that she and Fox, the man she loved, weren’t being hunted to the death and her time with him coming to a swift end.

Just for a little while.
♠ ♠ ♠
Last part starting next week! Granite Tower awaaaay!

Next project by the looks of it is a The Weaver's Source short story. People keep asking to see more to do with Grigore and Lyra and I would like to show who Lyra was meant to grow into.