Status: On going

Take What You Can Carry

Surprise

“Mmm, smells good. What’re you making?” I asked as I made my way to the busy kitchen.

“The only thing I know how to make, cheese omelet” He turned around and shot me his killer crooked smile.

I chuckled and put my purse and books on the dinner table. Watching Bucky all domesticated like this makes my heart flutter; his long hair was tied up into a little bun, short strands of hair fell and he had to constantly tuck it back behind his ear. His stubble was growing back, but I didn’t really mind, he looked sexier with it.

“Voila, breakfast for my lady” He said proudly, presenting the fluffy and delicious looking cheese omelet in front of me, and a plate of toast with butter on the side.

“Wow, what did I do to deserve all this?” I looked up to him with a huge smile on my face and he leaned closer to give me a small kiss.

“What haven’t you done?” He smiled and took a seat next to me, spreading butter on his on toast.

“So, what are you gonna do today?” I said as I took a bite of my breakfast.

“Same as yesterday I guess, I don’t really have a plan yet” He shrugged.

“What are you really doing with Steve anyway?”

“I told you, training, keep–“

“Keeping active, yeah, yeah, I know” I rolled my eyes and continue to finish my breakfast.

“Really, we’re just doing physical and tactical training. So when we’re needed I wouldn’t be out of shape much”

“Right, cause you’re a 95 year old man” I smirked and bit into my fork.

“You’re very funny” he retorted sarcastically, before giving me a chuckle. “You heading off to the store?”

“Yeah, I’ve got a wedding to do soon and the bride wants a taste test”

“Can you bring home one of those caramel cake with the popcorn on top?”

I furrowed my eyebrows and smiled. “I thought you hated them?”

He shrugged. “They’re not bad, I’ve grown to like it actually”

“Okay, but I might be coming home a little later than usual. Jessica is out sick today so I might have to watch the store for a little bit” I said as I get up and put my dirty plates in the sink.

“That’s okay, I’ll be at the tower anyway probably”

“Thank you for breakfast, babe” I walked over and gave him a quick kiss but then I felt his metal arm on the small of my back, and the next thing I knew I fell onto his lap with our faces inches away from each other.

“You’re not leaving here that easily” he closed the gap between us and cupped my face, pushing his lips against mine. Starting softly but immediately got a little bit rougher as he does not want to waste time.

His hands went down to my sides, carelessly sliding up under my shirt. I could feel our bodies getting hotter and as his hands made its way to the clasp of my bra, I opened my eyes in reflex and pushed him off me.

“Oh no no, we’re not doing this now” I laughed, pushing myself up and straightening my shirt.

Bucky’s face was a mix of lust and annoyance, to be honest it was quite amusing to see an ex-assassin sitting on your chair, short of breath, with a unmistakable bulge in his pants, looking at you with so much irritation because you left him hanging.

“You’re going to pay for this” he shook his head in disbelief, a smirk forming slowly on his face.

“Oh, I’m counting on it,” I said with a grin, giving him a peck on the cheeks before grabbing all my things and walking out the door.

***

The bakery I own is far from perfect. There are a million things I wish to do with the place but selling cupcakes isn’t really a multi million-dollar business. Unless you’re the owner of the famous Georgetown Cupcakes. So I have to put a pause on the whole revamping thing. Plus the fact that cupcakes aren’t really the hot thing anymore, so the shop is going through one of its lowest times since it opened back in 2013. The thing I do love is the shop was a 15-minute drive from the apartment and that allows me to check in regularly without having to man the store all day.

“Hey, the bride called, she said she’s on her way” Mary, one of my employees said when I walked in.

“Okay, I’m going to go set up. Is everything ready?”

“Yeah, oh and Jessica is taking a sick leave” she said with annoyance.

“I know. I’m going to help around ‘till closing time” I smiled and went into the back room to prepare for the mini presentation for the bride.

Having your own business has its perks. Like actually choosing the people you’ll be working with, being your own boss and making your own decisions, plus the feeling of satisfaction when you realize that you have really achieved something on the shop’s good days. I have gone through dozens of employees that I thought weren’t quite right for my business, I know, I know, that’s very dramatic for a cake shop. But this is my baby, I built this shop from the ground up and I’m not going to let it fall to pieces just because people think ‘it’s just another cake shop’.

With only 3 weeks ‘till the wedding, I was surprised to have the bride come to me this late. Usually cakes, venues and catering are the first three things brides and her team decided on.

“Cath? They’re here” Mary peeked from the doorway and I nodded to her. Gathering my stuff, I went out to the chairs we set up near the display case for meetings like this.

“Hi, Catherine Harries? We spoke on the phone, I’m Jillian,” the woman, who I assumed was the bride, offered her hand with a wide smile.

“Just Cath is fine, please sit down” I pointed to the chairs and all of us got situated.

The meeting went on for about 2 hours before Jillian decided to sample a few of the cakes that we suggested for her. Ultimately, both her and her fiancée decided to go with the classic three-tiered red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting and edible flourishes. When it was over, the store was back to its quiet state, which is really depressing for a business owner.

“You haven’t been going here that often lately,” Mary piped up from behind the counter.

I looked up from my binder of notes and bills and whatnot to gave her a shrug. “I guess I’ve been busy”

“Are we going to do something for the fourth of July?” she set down the dishrag she used to clean up the counter and hop on one of the stools behind it.

“Well… I have plans with Bucky and–“

“For the store, I mean” she cut me off with a laugh.

“Oh! Of course, shit, is it July soon?” I shook my head in disbelief on how fast the year is coming to a close.

“Well, I do have a few ideas I want to share with you if it’s okay?”

I set aside my binder of bills and nodded enthusiastically. I love it when the people I work with feel inspired and motivated and be creative and innovative, even it its just about a damn cupcake.

“Hey, I heard something about the fourth parade they’re doing this year. Maybe we could set up a booth or something?” She suggested.

“I guess that would make sense, I’m going to have to look that up first though. You don’t want to go head to head with Georgetown” I laughed and began tidying up my stuff on the table.

“Why not, though? Sure they got the name and the TV show and everything, but we’re just as good, if not better” She said, as a matter of fact-ly.

A wave of fear mixed with anxiety washed over me, for only a second, before disappearing. I shook it off and gave Mary a nod.

“Maybe, we’ll see” I shot her a small smile.

The rest of the day was uneventful, as only a handful of people came in and bought a couple of things, mostly the Nutella cupcakes. I thought about ending the shift early and send Mary home so I could close up.

I took the cupcakes on the display and decided to bring them home, including the caramel popcorn ones for Bucky. Leaving the store today made me feel like crap and after looking at the books earlier, I don’t even know if there’s even a future for my bakery if it keeps going on like this.

In the car, I took out my phone and dialed home but when it goes to the answering machine, I knew Bucky was still at the tower. Since I wasn’t really feeling like being alone, I decided to drive to the Avengers compound and see Bucky.

“Name and purpose of visitation” the guard with a menacing look, holding some sort of blaster, walked up to my window.

“Catherine, visiting a friend?” I said, hesitantly.

He then held up a face scanner and told me to stay still. “Catherine Harries, cleared” the machine declared.

He nodded and proceeded to let me through the gate. The compound was a huge secluded complex of heavily armed buildings with Stark’s state-of-the art technologies and security. I head to the upper level parking garage and parked next to an incredibly sexy-looking black SUVs. Once I got out, looking at the two cars side by side, my oldie but goodie Honda Civic was basically crap on wheels.

I walked into the building and was immediately met with another guard with his blaster at the ready, asking me where I was going and just as I was about to explain, Agent Hill walked past me with her face buried in her tablet.

“Maria!” I called out, waving my hand around to catch her attention. She immediately spun around with a puzzled look on her face, I guess not used to being called by her first name around here.

She broke into a grin when she saw me. “Cath! My, it’s been so long” she engulfed me into a hug and the security guard backed away.

“I know, I’m sorry. I guess I was busy and didn’t even realize how long it has been since we last saw each other”

“Are you here to pick up the Asset?” she laughed and I followed.

“He doesn’t know I’m coming, I just thought it’d be a nice surprise. Oh, and I brought treats” I held up the plastic bag with boxes of leftover cupcakes from the store.

“See, this is why I love you” she shook her head with a grin. “Come on, I’ll take you upstairs”

Maria and I were giggling when the elevator door opened, revealing an incredibly sophisticated open floor space with monochromatic theme. Sitting not too far away from the elevator was none other than Iron Man himself, sans the suit, munching on blueberries.

“Ah, the baker is here” he clapped his hands and hopped off the stool. “How are you kid?” he ruffled my hair and I tried to wiggle myself free from his hands.

“I brought treats” I put the cupcake boxes on the table and opened the lids.

“Mmm, aha! Red velvet. You’re a goddess.,” he said, grabbing a cupcake and carefully peeling off the decorative cup.

“Where’s everybody?” I looked around and saw nothing but empty chairs and meeting rooms.

“The grandpas are training upstairs, Wanda is in her room I guess, sulking, and Vision is… I don’t know where he is” He shrugged.

“I’m here” a voice coming from behind me nearly startled me to death, I turned around and saw Vision levitating towards me.

“I have cupcakes, if you want some” I offered with a smile.

“I don’t… eat” he looked at me weirdly, “but they look nice”

“Right… Sorry” I made a face and right now I want to disappear from the face of the earth. Catherine Harries, offering Vision a red velvet cupcake, just kill me now.

“Hey kid, do you wanna see two fossils fight?” Tony asked, with a mouthful of cream cheese frosting.

I furrowed my eyebrows and then I realized he was talking about Steve and Bucky. I snorted a response and nodded. He led me to the elevator after grabbing another cupcake, chocolate this time, and pressed the floor above us.

“I take it you’ve been busy?” he broke the silence.

“Yeah, the store isn’t doing so well. I’ve been trying to rake up some ideas to improve, but so far, nothing” I shrugged.

“I can maybe help with that,” he said nonchalantly.

I smiled and shook my head. “Nah, it’s okay. I’m gonna see this out, hopefully I wont have to close it down”

“Ah, Harries. Always the proud one” he said as he walked out of the elevator.

I trailed behind him as we walked into the training floor. There were gym equipment set up on one side of the floor, a bulletproof glass chamber for combat training, a knife combat training room with black wooden walls and on the far end of the floor, I found Steve and Bucky in another glass chamber, sparring.

“He’s improving. He can now train with people without turning all Winter Soldier.” He gave an approving nod.

Steve and Bucky was so into it, they didn’t even notice that we’re behind the glass, watching them like a fish in an aquarium.

“So I guess you’ve done a pretty good job.” he added and I shot him a disapproving look. I hate it when people say that, as if helping Bucky was a job.

“Hey, what are you doing here?” our silence was broken when we heard the chamber door open and Bucky walking out, a little out of breath.

I turned around to him and my smile broke out into a full-on grin. “I thought I’d surprise you”

He closed the distance between us and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek. “I’m gonna hit the showers, I’ll see you downstairs in a minute”

I nodded and both Steve and Bucky disappeared through the hall.

“Not one for PDA huh?” I jumped at Natasha’s unmistakable raspy voice behind me and I turned around.

“Not even a little” I chuckled.

“Well, I’m gonna hit the shower, who would’ve thought sparring with a hammer wielding god would broke me into a sweat fest” she shot me a smirk before sashaying away.

“Now this, I can get on board with” Tony, with a mischievous smirk, pointing his finger back and forth between Natasha and me.

“You’re impossible.”

***

“You’ve been awfully quiet, what’s wrong?” Bucky turned to face me in his seat, slightly restrained from the seatbelt.

I turned my face to him quickly and smiled. “Nothing, I’m fine.”

“What’s wrong?” he pressed, raising his eyebrows as if he was saying ‘cmon, just say it.’

“The shop’s not doing too good, I might have to take extreme measures.” I gave a sad smile.

“Well, what can I do?”

The gesture was extremely sweet that I didn’t have the heart to tell him that there’s nothing he can possibly do to save a bakery. The world, maybe, but not a bakery.

“Don’t worry about it, I’ll find a way” I smiled and he reluctantly shifted back to his normal sitting position.

Once we got home, I put away the leftover cupcakes that weren’t taken at the Tower and put them in the fridge while Bucky went straight to the shower. It was already 9 PM but I thought, fuck it, I’m going to boil some pasta and make mac and cheese.

Halfway through stirring the cheese sauce, I felt two hands sneak up to my waist and pulled me backwards until I was met with a bare-chested Bucky. I felt a smile creeping up my face but I didn’t turn around, instead, I kept on stirring.

“You want some?”

“No thanks, I’m full from the popcorn cake,” he mumbled against my hair.

“Well, you ate four of them.” I chuckled.

“It’s your fault, all that training goes down the drain” he grabbed my waist tightly and spun me around to face him.

“I liked you coming by to surprise me,” he said quietly, not looking me in the eyes.

“Yeah? Hmm, maybe I should do that more often” I chuckled.

“Maybe you should” he gave me a kiss and he lifted himself off me. “I’m exhausted, I’m going to bed”

“Okay, I’ll be in a second. I’m starving”

He nodded, gave me another small kiss and went up to the bedroom. I turned around to salvage most of my burnt cheese and I couldn’t help but to smile again, that’s another one for a good day.
♠ ♠ ♠
HAHA OK. Since I have this story up on Wattpad as well, I kinda forgot to update the story here. So sorry.

Anyway, here's another chapter and expect another one real soon! Feedback is definitely appreciated :)