Angel

I'm a what?!

I looked over to where she was pointing. Oh Jesus. He was so hot. He had black tousled hair with green eyes that looked like they were glowing. What is with this school and hot guys?
“Ms. Cromwell?” Asked Mrs. Patch. I snapped out of my daze and nodded. I walked over to my seat and sat down, I took out my sketchbook and charcoal.
“Hey. I'm Finn Lewis.” He smiled and extended his hand that had charcoal smudged all over it. He flushed.
“Sorry. I guess we shouldn't shake hands.” He laughed nervously. His laugh was deep and sweet.
I smiled.
“I'm Octavia Cromwell.” He nodded.
“Nice to meet you.” I grabbed my charcoal and flipped to the next clean page. I can draw people the best so I just decided to draw Sammi. Finn glanced over and gasped, I looked up and flushed.
“You are amazing.” He exclaimed. I laughed.
“Not really but thank you.” He snatched my stretch book, ignoring my sound of protest. Thumbing through my drawings he got to the picture of my dad I drew in the police station. It was when I shot him. I grabbed it back.
“Okay, your done.” I sighed.
“I'm sorry I didn't mean to upset you.” He looked down.
“No, it's fine. Maybe I'll show you some other time.” Finn’s features lifted.
“Really? Well umm thank you.” He cleared his throat. “So is that why you are here?” I nodded.
“Why are you here?” I asked.
“People think I'm insane.” He looked over searching my face for my reaction. I shrugged.
“I've heard worse.” I looked up smiling. He smiled back showing cute little dimples. Mrs. Patch clapped her hands getting everyone's attention.
“Okay class! Today we are going to draw how you are feeling right now. Remember this is a safe place!” She smiled sitting back down. I groaned.
“Is she always this happy.” I asked annoyed.
“Wouldn't you be if you worked with psychotic kids that could turn a paper towel into a weapon?” Asked Finn.
“Okay. Fine. You win.” I rolled my eyes. I stared down at my blank paper, I just drew and drew marking the paper, deepening some lines, making them darker. Finn nudged me, I looked up see a charcoal smudge on his cheek. I laughed to myself.
“Am I really that bad?” he asked.
I shook my head.
“You have a smudge on your cheek. May I?” He nodded. I hesitated, then raised my thumb to his cheek. It felt like an eternity but finally the black smudge fade away. I let my hand fall, looking away feeling heat rising to my cheeks.
“That's not what I wanted your attention for. Are you seriously okay?” he asked nodding toward my drawing. I looked down, looking at my drawing. It was the view when I shot my dad. The see the gun up close and I could see the bullet flying through the air toward my dad's head. I could see the terror in his stare. I looked down, setting my chin on my hands, signing.
“Finn it happened like eight hours ago. I'm still shaken up. Chill out.” I said.
“I need to go to the bathroom.” I said quickly, getting up.
Finn tried to protest but I was already out the door. Finding the bathroom wasn't hard, it was actually pretty modern. I locked myself in a stall, bringing my knees up to my chest, hugging them. I cried, I couldn't keep it in. I heard the door open, I tried to muffle my cries. Staying quiet praying the person will leave soon. Someone knocked on my stall.
“Octavia? Please come out. It's Finn.” he knocked again.
“You are such a perv you know that?” I asked. Trying to keep my voice even but failing miserably.
“Yeah yeah. Whatever. Come on please come out.” He persisted. After I didn't say anything he sighed. “Either you come out. Or I come in.”
“Perv.” I muttered. When I looked up I saw the latch open from the inside. “What the hell?” I whispered, when the lock popped open. Finn stepped in the stall. I was still curled up on the toilet but he didn't seem to care. He just opened his arms and waited, I detached myself from my corner and walked right into his arms, resting my head on his firm chest. His arms wrapped around me tightly. I finally felt safe. Then the waterworks started again. I cried all while Finn just stood there; his arms wrapped around me, his head resting on the crown of my head and slightly swaying. God, I liked him already. After my tears soaked straight through his jacket and shirt I stopped crying.
“I… I'm sorry for my tear fest.” I laughed wiping my tears on the back of my sleeve.
“Don't worry. Really. I don't mind.” He blushed. “At all.” I started to leave until something stopped me.
“How did you do that thing with the lock?” I asked, narrowing my eyes. He shrugged and walked out of the bathroom. Ugh. I smiled and walked back to class. Of course no one noticed I was even gone, but we still had a whole hour and a half left of class. I just stayed quiet and drew by myself. After the bell rang it was time for lunch. You thought high-school lunch was bad? Try reform school lunches. I can't even distinguish the different foods. They were all brown. Gross. After I picked what I thought was pasta I went out to the court yard and found a bench to sit down at. I threw my food away and got my sketchbook out to draw. I just started to draw until I heard the most annoyed sounding noise. I looked up to see a gigantic girl towering over me. Oh god here we go.
“Excuse me? You are in our seat bitch.” she snapped. As innocently as I could I shot back.
“Oh. I'm so very sorry. I didn't think someone needed a whole bench for their ass but I guess it takes all kinds. Doesn't it?” I smiled sweetly up at her. And I swear I saw steam shooting out of her ears. Suddenly, I felt this shooting pain near my jaw. Did this bitch just right hook me?
“Choke on your gum bitch.” I growled, clutching my jaw. A gasp escaped me, the girl lay dead by my feet, with her face purple. I couldn't do anything else but scream. I heard yelling and pounding footsteps.
“Octavia! Octavia stop screaming.” Asher yelled. My voice gave out and I couldn't scream anymore. Pulling my knees to my chest I started to rock back and forth staring at the girl with wide eyes.
“Octavia look at me. Okay? Look at me. C’mon Octavia.” When I didn't answer I felt strong arms under my legs and on my back. Asher ran me into the school and set me down on a fluffy chair.
“I… I killed her. Just like that.” I closed my eyes. “God. I actually wanted her to choke and she did. She could have had a long life but I screwed that up for her.”
“Hey, look at me.” I reopened my eyes looking into those bright blue eyes. “Okay. You will think I am crazy. Well I am crazy but that's not the point. You are special like me; by what I have gathered you can kill just by a thought. I can kill by touch.” I flinched away from his hand. Don't really feel like dying at the moment. “Don't worry I can control it.” He sent his hand on mine.
“No. I'm not a killer. My thoughts don't kill.” I got up and went to my room ignoring Asher. I locked my door. Within an hour both Asher and Finn knocked on my door. I don't know how many hours I just sat on my bed being pulled into my thoughts but I heard this ticking then sliding. Dammit Finn is doing that lock thing again. I ran into my closet huddling up to the farthest corner.
“Tavia?” Finn called. I flinched. Only my dad called me by Tavia. I held my breath. I don't feel like socializing even if it's a hot guy.
“I know what happened. We can talk about it if you want. I just want to know you are okay.” I heard a thump like Finn sat down on the hard wood right outside my closet door. Shit. “I know you are in there.” He said. He opened the door staring at me. I rolled my eyes.
“Why do you always find me when I is or was crying? It makes me look like a wuss.” I got up from my hidey hole and wrapped my arms around my waist.
“I don't mind.” Finn said calmly.
“Trust me. I usually don't cry this much.” There was another knock on the door. “Ms.Cromwell?” Asked a feminine voice.
“Shit.” I muttered. Shoving Finn into my closet and shut the doors. I wiped away the tears hopping I don't look high. I opened the door to see a woman with platinum blonde hair and dark brown eyes.
“Hi I'm the school's nurse. Mrs. Guard.” She smiled brightly handing me two paper cups. I glanced up confused. “Oh yes of course. These are the pills you need to take every night.” She nodded to the cups. Apparently I am totally psychotic because I need to take seven different pills. Yay. Mrs.Guard waited until I took all of them. “Open up.” She said I opened my mouth showing her I swallowed all of them. “Okay well welcome. I always come around seven-ish.” I smiled and nodded. Closing the door I went into my bedroom and flopping down on my bed staring at the ceiling.
I sighed.
“You can come out now Finn.” The door creaked open.
“Wow seven pills.” He said. I sat up.
“How do you know that?” I asked. He sat down on the bed next to me.
“Okay, I know you have heard some pretty weird shit today but,” he paused.
“I swear if you say you're like a mass murderer I'm leaving.” Finn laughed.
“No not that. But I am an…angel.” He looked at me probably waiting for me to flip my shit or something but I didn't.
“Can I be honest?” I asked. He nodded. “I actually feel perfectly fine about that. But that is freaking amazing, but I'm not scared or whatever.” I looked up at him smiling. His body relaxed, he smiled back.
“Good. I'm glad.” He laughed.
“This is probably a really stupid question but, do you have like wings?” I asked, half expecting he would laugh in my face.
“Actually yes I do.” He stood up, taking off his jacket. I heard this gust of wind and a soft light filled the room. I stared at the beautiful wings.
“Oh my God.” I whispered. I stepped forward extending my hand to touch his wings but fell short. I looked over at him. “May I?” I asked. He nodded. I touched the feathers, they were velvety soft but looked like silk. They where also the purest white. Oh my God I could touch these forever. When I was stroking the soft feathers I saw a shiver run through Finn. I backed up, looking down.
“Sorry.” I said.
“No it’s okay. I don't tell anyone about the angel thing so no one ever touches my wings before.I felt nice.” He flushed. Finn cleared his throat. “Are you feeling nauseous?” he asked.
I glanced up.
“Umm no? Should I be?” I asked.
“Well humans should get nauseous because of my glory-the light.” He narrowed his eyes. I just shrugged.
“Asher said that I'm special. My thoughts can kill, that's how my dad and that one girl died.” I said. He nodded. He folded his wings back, now looking like normal Finn again.
“I should leave. The dean will be coming around soon. My room is room 15 in the East part of the boys dorm.” He smiled. “Good night Tavia.” He said. And then he was gone. I flopped down on my bed again trying to go to sleep. Sooner or later it dragged me down into its murky depths, where my mind kept replaying the exact moment I shot my dad. I woke up to a knock on the door. I tried to make myself semi decent looking and opened the door. There was a girl there. She was tall, brown hair and green eyes. She smiled.
“Hi I'm Emma Thorn.” She extended her hand, I shook it.
“Hey, Octavia Cromwell.” I returned her smile.
“Sorry if I interrupted your morning. I would just like to introduce myself. Maybe we could hang out sometime?” She asked.
“I would love that.” I smiled. She nodded and turned away. I closed the door, thank God it's Saturday I won't have to go to Mr. Myer’s hellish class until tomorrow. Right when my face hit the pillow I fell back asleep. Don't know when I woke up but I woke up to the smell of bacon. Why would someone be cooking now? And why can I smell that deliciousness? I rolled out of bed, forcing my hair into a messy bun. I walked out into the kitchen to grab some water when I saw Finn cooking. He turned around with a spatula in one hand and a glass of water in the other, he smiled giving me the glass.
“Morning sunshine or should I say 4:30”
I groaned.
“It's already 4:30? How did you know I wanted water. Dammit Finn did you read my mind or something?” He turned back around, flipping an egg.
“Maybe.” He handed me my favorite breakfast eggs, hash browns and bacon.
“Thanks. But my mind is off limits. Got it?” I asked.
“Yeah sorry. Got it.” He said, setting down his own plate. We talked for a while about nothing in particular.
Finn grabbed our plates to wash them up. I cleared my throat.
“Hey umm thanks for all of this.” I said gesturing to the breakfast. “And everything else. I really appreciate it.” I glanced up at him, just in time to see his little dimples.
“Your welcome.” Finn left after cleaning up the rest of the kitchen. So of course I went back to sleep. The only time I got back up is when Mrs.Guard came with my pills. In the morning I threw on some ripped jeans, and band shirt and converse. Walking to Mr. Myer’s room, I sat in the very back trying not to draw any attention. Asher walked in a few minutes later, sitting down next to me.
“Hey.” I whispered.
“Hey. How are you holding up?” he asked. I opened my mouth to say something but Mr. Myer walked in. “Welcome to hell.” Asher whispered. I laughed under my breath.
“Sit your asses down or I will personally nail you down to your seats myself.” He boomed. I groaned inwardly. I didn't pay attention for the two and a half hour he was yelling at us but I did catch myself drawing the silhouette of Finn and his wings. Asher glanced over, ripping a corner off of his paper and jotted something down, tossing it over to me. I opened it, it read:
Who are you drawing?
I wrote back:
No one. Just thought it looks cool.
I tossed it back to him, he opened it and nodded. I went back to drawing and not caring about what Mr. Meyer is yelling about now. Finally, the class was over for the day, the only thing I like about reform school is that I only have one class per day. I was so bored being by myself so I went over to Emma's room. I knocked on the door. She opened the it, a grin spreading across her face.
“Hey.” I laughed.
“Hi! Do you wanna go eat or something?” She giggled.
“That's why I came. Besides if it involves food I'm in.” I said.
“Looks like you are handling this reform school thing pretty damn well. Usually all the newbies are curled up in the corner crying their eyes out.” She said.
“Really?” I asked surprised. It wasn't that hard to find food, there are only two places to eat here so we picked the place that serves all day breakfast. We actually got the same thing eggs, hash browns and bacon. I like this girl already. I found out Emma plays the cello and she has two older brothers. She's at Lakewood because the was a suspect of helping with a murder. We talked for a while until Finn strutted in and slid into the booth right next to me.
“Ladies.” He nodded.
I rolled my eyes.
“Do you have to be here Finn. I'm doing something normal for once.” I stomped on his foot or at least tried to, his hand went to my knee bringing my foot down. He slid me a sly smile.
“Fine fine. Just don't be too long. I'll be at your room Octavia.” He said, pouting. Before giving one more nod to Emma and left again. I looked back a her. She was staring at me with her mouth wide open.
“What?”
“Finn? Finn Lewis! He is the most popular kid in school! And now he is in your room. Why the hell didn't you tell me about this?” She said accusingly.
I shrugged.
“It's no big deal. I should go see what he wants. Hang out again sometime?” I asked. She nodded, wiggling her eyebrows at me. I flipped her off and headed for my room. When I unlocked my door Finn was already lounging on my couch.
“I was being normal for once. And you screwed that up.” I said, sitting across from him.
He shrugged.
“But you're not normal. You can't be, your thoughts can kill.” He said.
“Gee thanks.” I muttered.
“Anyway I have been thinking. Since you didn't get nauseous with my glory we could try again. The glory you say was maybe one one hundredth of my power.” He said smiling.
“Sounds fantastic.” I said sarcastically.
“So I'm going to go into full glory to see if you throw up or something. And also if you are really human this will land you in, the hospital for about three weeks.” Finn added casually. He drew all the shades and sat back down again.
“I can really tell you care for my well-being.” I retorted.
“And I do… somewhat.” He smiled. “Ready?” I nodded. His glory had sort of a bluish tone to it. I just looked at him.
“So am I supposed to be hurling my guts out right now or no?” I asked.
Your an angel Octavia. Finns voice rang in my head.
“Did you hear that?” Finn asked. I only nodded. That's not right I can't be an angel. He smiled at me.
“Do I have wings?” I asked dumbfounded.
“Yup.”
“I need to learn all this. C’mon please.” I pleaded.
“Of course but you can't tell anyone. Not even a random cat you see on the street got it?” He asked.
“Yeah, yeah got it. Not even a cat.” I said.
“Good. We will start tom-”
“No we start right now.” I cut in. He sighed.