Sparks |Levi Ackerman Werewolf AU|

The Secret

“Petra!” I exclaimed out of breath when I rushed into the café on my day off. “I need to talk to Levi and I can’t exactly waltz into the Survey Corps headquarters.”

“What’s wrong? Is everything ok?” She asked with concern.

“Everything’s fine I just really need to talk to him.”

“I wish I could help, but him and the team were called in to help out with a case. I’m not sure when he’ll be back. I can give you his number if you want.” She told me but I shook my head.

“No, I need to talk to him in person. Face-to-face.”

“Is it something I can help you with? You know I would.” I gave her a reassuring smile.

“I know you would and I appreciate that but its Levi I need to see.” I tossed my purse on a table as Krista came around and placed a cup of lemonade down in front of me – was never a fan of tea though I wish I was. “I’ll just wait until he gets back.”

***

I sat in the café all afternoon and into the evening, trying my best to distract my mind by doodling on napkins. Every now and then I’d catch Petra glancing over at me with a worried look in her eyes. I could tell she wanted me to open up to her first but knew she wouldn’t be the right person.

At closing time she came over with the last lemon poppy seed muffin to give to me, seeing as I hadn’t eaten anything since the morning before I headed out. My mind had been too preoccupied to worry about food.

“Something’s wrong and it’s scaring me.” She simply stated with concern.  “I get that you don’t want to tell me now but you can’t expect me to just watch my friend get herself all worked up and not do anything about it.” I felt guilty for making her worry but…its Levi I need to talk to first. It’s what my gut was telling me.

“I’m sorry Petra but I-” She held up her hand and gave me the best reassuring smile she could give.

“I understand.” I smiled, grateful, knowing that she truly did. “Remember when I said I know someone like you? Well that someone is Levi so if anything he should be the first person you talk to.” I let out a deep sigh, wanting nothing more than to get the sick knot out of my stomach. The nerves, the wait, was killing me.

“Levi’s lucky to have someone who’s so understanding.” I said trying to direct the subject away from me and my inner turmoil I was trying to deal with.

“What do you mean?” Petra asked confused. I was just as equally now.

“You two…aren’t mates? Oh I’m so sorry! I just thought – you guys seem so close! He acts, well less of a jerk to you then he does with everyone else. And you know him on a personal level it made sense-” Petra burst out laughing. My face was beat red with embarrassment and this was not helping one bit.

“Levi and I went on a few dates but that was about three years ago so you’re not completely far off. We kissed but…there was no spark. Fate had other plans for us and it didn’t involve us being soulmates.”

“I’m sorry?” I wasn’t sure how exactly to respond to that. Petra smiled and shook her head.

“Don’t be. We still remained friends as you can tell. Not like I could have avoided him anyway, being in the same pack and all. Besides, I ended up finding my soulmate a month after and I’ve never been happier.” She beamed just thinking about her mate. I almost felt envious that she had found him. The joy and warmth one gets when finally feeling complete the second they find their mate. Words are too indescribable.

“What’s his name?”

“Oulo.” She blushed, an uncontainable smile stretching across her face as her mind swam with thoughts of only him. “He was so jealous of Levi. Right from the beginning. He saw how close I was getting to him and like a child wanting attention he started acting like Levi. He’d always get on my nerves because it never fit him. He was playing someone he wasn’t; trying too hard and when it came down to it he was only hurting himself. It wasn’t until after Levi and I found out we weren’t mates that he started acting like himself. It was refreshing. He seemed more comfortable with himself. The way I see it, if you can’t be 100% happy with yourself how can you expect to be 100% happy with someone else?”

“But isn’t that why we’re lucky to have soulmates? Someone who can look pass the flaws, the insecurities we may have and accept us no matter what regardless of our character and how we came to be. They become our other half. Being a werewolf is a blessing and a curse. We’re never truly 100% until we do find the one. Some never do.”

“But Levi will. And so will you.” She said confidently. “The good ones always find them. You’re not a rouge. Your fate hasn’t been rewritten.”

“Maybe someday then.” I half smiles as I doodled on the last napkin.

If I get the chance.

“You know…” Petra began in a lighthearted teasing manner. “Levi really likes your tea. He won’t drink the stuff I make anymore.” I rose an eyebrow but kept at my masterpiece.

“So?”

“Sooooo…maybe he’s your soulmate!” My little panda I had been working on turned into a scribbled mess. I looked up at Petra, my full attention on her now in complete bewilderment.

“You came to that conclusion all because of some tea?!? I think you’ve watched far too many romantic movies.” I began. “The man can barely tolerate me. I swear the only reason I’m still around is because of you and this demented curiosity he has towards me.” Petra sent me a mischievous smirk that I didn’t like.

“So why do you want to talk to him so bad? Huh? It’s because deep down you feel there is a connection. A connection only soulmates share. Am I right?”

“What happened to being understanding and knowing it was only because we may have something in common?”

“Don’t try and turn this around! You can’t possibly tell me you’re not interested in finding your mate.”

“Of course I am. Who isn’t? Doesn’t mean Levi is the one though.”

“Pessimist.” I chuckled seeing her pouting face.

“I’m just saying he doesn’t seem the least bit interested in me in that way.”

“But are you interested in him in that way?” This woman was impossible I can see why they dated. So I stood up, taking the muffin with me, and made my way towards the exit.

“Thanks for letting me chill here for the day Petra! See you later!” I called back to her as I kept my stride.

“Hey! You can’t just leave like that! Answer the question!”

***

It was going to be another sleepless night I could tell. As I laid on the not so comfortable bed in my oversized night shirt, my arms spread out and eyes stuck on the ceiling. I could feel the familiar uncertainty creep up. I was so ready, so prepared, to tell Levi and finally get to move on with my life. A life with no regrets. But with time that confidence had slowly diminished to nothing and I was back where I had started.

Petra had done well in distracting me but there was no getting away. Now what am I supposed to do? Chicken out, leave this city and all the worries and fear of rejection behind with it? How long could I keep that up? I don’t want to leave. I’m tired of moving place to place. I want my life back because it’s all I’ve got.

Levi said this would eat me, practically warned me that it would but quite frankly it has already started too. And the only one who can help me was that man, as stubborn, hot-headed and annoying he was.

*knock**knock*

I closed my eyes and sighed, praying that whoever was there would just leave me alone to my thoughts. They’d leave eventually if I ignored them long enough. Not like I was expecting anyone nor did anyone know where I was staying.

*knock!**knock!*

I growled quietly out of annoyance until that familiar scent that would always send my heart fluttering and my mind up into the clouds the second it reached me. Sandalwood and amber. I all but leapt from the bed and rushed to the door, forgetting about how indecent I was.

“I heard you were looking for me.” I blinked a few times in order to truly register that he was in fact here just as I was having a mental battle with myself.

“H-how did you know where I was staying?” His troubled eyes traveled up and down my body to which I glared in warning and crossed my arms defiantly over my chest. “What I was getting ready for bed, don’t judge.”

“I followed your scent how else did you think I found you?” I shrugged my shoulders and leaned up against the door frame.

“I don’t know maybe you’re stalking me.”

“Don’t flatter yourself.” And Levi basically shoved his way through the door, catching me slightly in the shoulder as he walked by.

“No by all means come right in.” I mumbled to myself though I’m sure he heard. I closed the door behind me and sat myself back on the bed. Levi was looking around the room in completely disgust. I could see the horror building up inside his mind as he thought of all the germs, muck and grime previous customers had tracked in before me.

“How can you stand to sleep in this…this filth.” It wasn’t really a question or so he made it sound so. In truth I personally hadn’t done a thing to the room. What could I have done? I had little supplies with me and this was my first day off where majority of that time was spent at the café waiting for this idiot to show up at closing time.

“Not like I have anywhere else to go for the time being. Haven’t received my first paycheck yet so I can’t exactly go apartment hunting now can I. Besides, I can’t even do that until I’m accepted into the pack.” All thoughts of getting a flesh eating disease had been wiped clear out of his mind as his attention was drawn back to me.

“You want to be a part of it?”

“That was what I was implying wasn’t it?” Levi growled, not happy with my smart tone.

“Don’t give me that attitude you brat. I can easily kick you out of this city right now if you want to keep pushing it.”       
“Calm yourself.” I said raising my hands in sort of a submission like pose. “I wasn’t trying to give you attitude. I came looking for you right? Why would I want to jeopardize my chances?”

“Tch, why did you want to see me anyway?” My throat went dry and my mind just shut down before quickly rebooting all the negative thoughts I had and erasing the possible positive outcomes. But he was here, in the flesh right in front me. This very well may be the only other chance I get before I back out completely. So I swallowed down the fear and negativity, deciding to conquer this which I should have done in the first place.

“Please, take a seat.” I gestured to the arm chair in the corner of the room to which he took but only before wiping the already clean cushion, clean. My heart began to pound so heavily I could hear it in my head, feeling the pulse with each contraction it gave. “Before I tell you, whatever happens whatever you decide, can you please just keep this to yourself?” I knew I was asking a lot with this but with long consideration he answered.

“I will.” My heart beat eased up a bit. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath to ease my nerves, and opened them back up just to look in those stoic blue-grey eyes and with remorse as I said…

“I killed a man.”