Remenissions

Chapter 11

Lana's POV

Matt shifted uncomfortably when Marty burst into tears. Typical male, he had no idea what to do with an emotional female.

"I think I might go back to the cabin." He whispered to me.

I nodded, agreeing with him, I needed some time alone with Marty, she said she didn't want to talk but now was the perfect time.

"Well um." Matt mumbled standing up. "I'll see you two back there." And I watched him walk off quickly, smiling to myself.

"Okay Marty." I said, scooting over closer to her. "Tell me."

She looked at me and sobbed. "I can't live without him Lana, I just can't do it."

"Matt said you broke up with Brian."

"I did, I wasn't going to let him get in first." She took a deep breath. "I beat him to it."

I hugged her while she cried, the poor thing, she was clearly heartbroken and unsure of what to do with herself.

"Marty." I said pulling away to look at her. "Do you think you did the right thing?"

"No, not at all, I didn't do the right thing at all."

I held her hand while she cried, both of us staring at the lake. She needed to talk to Brian because from what Matt had said, Brian was just as shattered.

"Perhaps you should call Brian." I suggested softly and I watched as she shook her head vehemently.

"No Lana, no. I can't." She sobbed. "Not yet, not now."

"Okay." I whispered hugging her again.

I sat there, letting her cry. At least she wasn't alone now, she had me and Matt here to support her and I was happy to stay as long as she needed me too. Matt on the other hand, I guessed he could stay as long Courtney allowed him to.

Ugh Courtney. Just the thought of her put me in a bad mood. I'd been nothing but nice to her and here she was trying to alienate me from Matt's life. I'd suspected it, but Marty had confirmed it, she thought the same thing as me. Matt and I had done everything together for years, suddenly now, it seemed like that wouldn't happen anymore, well not if Courtney got her own way. That made me sad. Matt was my........what.....what was he? Ugh that was something else I didn't want to think about.

"You okay?" Marty suddenly asked, looking at me.

"I will be." I told her, standing up and holding out my hand. She grabbed it and I pulled her to her feet. "Let's go back."

We walked hand in hand in back to the cabin and when we arrived Matt was sitting on the porch, talking on his phone. He smiled as we approached.

"I gotta go." He said quickly. "The girls are back." He went silent, listening to who ever was on the other end. "Now that I don't know Court." He said and I groaned internally. "A couple of days at least." He glance at Marty and me, lowering his voice. "I'll be home when I'm home." And he hung up.

Ha, trouble in paradise it would seem and I felt a little smug, hoping Matt was miserable.

"What do you feel like doing this afternoon?" He asked, throwing his phone on the table.

"Well." I said opening the door. "I'm going for a shower and then maybe a nap."

"A nap." Matt said looking at me. "You just got out of bed."

"Shut up." I said, closing the door behind me, he knew how to push my buttons.

I went into our room, digging around in my bag finding some clothes, then I headed out to the bathroom, pausing at the door, listening to Marty and Matt talk.

"But really Matt." Marty was saying. "Best man."

"I know Marty, but what can I do?" Matt said and I shook my head. Tell the bitch to fuck off?

"Talk to her Matt, you and Lana have been friends for ever." Marty told him and I smiled. Bless her for defending me. "Are you going to let Courtney come between you and Lana?"

"Of course I'm not." He said quickly and I walked into the bathroom. I had heard enough of his bullshit for now.

I showered then got dressed and when I came out Matt and Marty were still sitting on the porch talking.

"What are we going to do for dinner?" I asked them as I walked out.

"I don't know." Matt said, holding out his hand. "I'll grill something."

I grabbed his hand and he pulled me onto his lap. "Great just invite all the wildlife." I said, glancing around.

"Stop being dramatic Lana." He grumbled.

"Well, I'll go see what there is?" Marty said standing up and she went inside.

"So what are we doing for the rest of day?" I asked Matt, looking at him.

"Well." He said quietly. "You and I are going to make ourselves scarce because Brian is coming up."

"You called him?" Oh fuck.

"Yes I did."

"Ugh Marty might flip her shit." I mumbled. "So are we going home?"

"No." He said smiling. "We're going to stay a few days and just hang. Oh well that is unless Nick has a problem with that?" He said smirking.

"Well." I snapped standing up. "I think it's probably Courtney who has the problem." And I walked inside, smiling at the look on his face. He just had to push my buttons.

I wanted to tell Marty about Brian but I couldn't, I was scared what her reaction would be so I kept quiet. We hung out, cooked dinner, ate and talked and I loved every minute of it, every minute of having Matt to myself before he got married.

We were sitting on the porch, enjoying the darkness when the headlights appeared and I watched as they drove up to us, parking next to Matt's car.

"Fuck." I heard Marty say softly and I prayed quietly in my head that she wouldn't blame us for calling him.

Brian got out and walked over to the porch and I had to admit, he looked like shit.

"Marty." He said softly.

Matt stood up and looked at me. "Come on." He said, grabbing my hand. "Let's go to bed."

I followed him inside and grabbed my pyjama's, heading into the bathroom to get changed and clean my teeth. Matt did the same after me and then he turned the light off and we laid there, listening to Brian and Marty talking softly.

"I'm sorry." Matt said softly, turning over in the bed so he could look at me.

"What for?" I wasn't sure what he was apologising for.

"Ugh Lana." He said and he pulled me against his chest. "For everything, I don't know, the best man thing, it's just you're my best friend, I want you there with me."

I nodded. "I know and it's okay." I whispered.

I wanted to be there with him and I blinked back my tears as I thought about it.

I wanted to be there with him, only not as his best man. I wanted to be his bride.