Status: comments would be appreciated :)

Sterling's Daughter

Chapter 20

Laya drew back almost the instant her lips touched Will's. His eyes were wide as he stared, unblinking.
"What was that all about?" he whispered, looking more than just a little bit shocked.
"Nothing," she grumbled, humiliated with what she'd just done. "That was nothing. Forget it."
She pushed past him and marched towards the house. She didn't get very far. Will grabbed her hand and stopped in front of her, facing her, and preventing her from taking another step.
"Wait," he said. "Please."
Laya stopped, but refused to look up at him. She couldn't believe what she'd just done. Was she insane? Kissing Will Hamilton of all people!
"What?" she mumbled, cheeks burning. She hoped no one had seen that kiss. Will's head tipped foward a bit and Laya's breath caught in her throat as her heart began to pound in her chest. Will paused, his lips only millimetres away from hers. Just as he began to move in closer, someone cleared their throat from behind them, frightening the wits out of both of them. Laya placed both hands firmly on Will's chest and shoved him back, feeling a hot blush crawl into her cheeks.
Kirsty stood there, smirking. She looked very, very pleased with herself.
"Oh, I'm very sorry to interrupt," she said sweetly. "I was just wondering what happened to my drink, Laya?"
Oops.
"Huh...um yeah," Laya glanced down at her empty hands. "I..."
"Don't worry, all's good," Kirsty smirked. "I'll get it. You two enjoy yourself."
"What?" Laya scoffed. "No way. I'm getting a drink to."
She shoved past Will and sent him a look. She didn't really know what kind of message she was trying to tell him, but she was so humiliated at being caught nearly kissing Will by her best friend that she was trying her best to brush it off. Will rolled his eyes and shrugged, clearly seeing through her little act.
"Whatever," he ran a hand through his dark hair. He looked cute when he did that. Laya dragged her eyes off him and stuck close to Kirsty's side as they headed towards the house.
"Aww, you guys were so nearly gonna freaking KISS!" Kirsty whisper screamed.
"We were not; as if!" Laya felt her entire face grow hot.
"You were to!" Kirsty squealed. "Stop denying it! You guys make a cute couple."
Laya pretended to gag.
"Can we get off this topic?" she pleaded.
"Nope," Kirsty cackled gleefully. "I have now caught you redhanded, there is no way you're going to live this down."
"I knew it," Laya moaned. She risked a glance over her shoulder in WIll's direction. He'd joined a group of guys. As she watched, he looked over to her and their eyes locked. She quickly looked away.
"Hey, Melindy! Rose! We have breaking news to tell you!" Kirsty grabbed Laya's hand and dragged her towards the two girls.
"No!" Laya cried, horrified. She tried to lean against Kirsty, bracing her feet to make it hard for Kirsty to pull her along. "You wouldn't be so cruel!"
Kirsty just grinned slyly.
***
Laya blinked as the rays of sun filtered through the gap in her curtains and flooded into her eyes. Groaning, she rolled over in her double bed and dragged the covers back over her head to block out the light. She didn't care what the time was, she'd had a late night, the girls had given her hell about Will, and all she wanted to do now was sleep. Clearly, other people weren't thinking along the same lines that she was. The loud, annoying sound of a fist banging against her bedroom door broke the quietness of her room.
"Laya! Get up!" Zena bellowed. "It's 11:15!"
"Go away," Laya grumbled into her pillow.
"Laya, out!" The door swung open wide and Mum barrelled on in. Laya whined in complaint as Mum dragged the curtains wide open and the sun poured into the room. "It's unhealthy to be in bed this late!" Mum continued to nag as she threw back the covers on Laya's bed.
"Fine, fine, I'm up," Laya stretched. "Why the hurry?"
Mum gave an exasperated sigh and an almost smile.
"Haha, hilarious," she said. "We've visitors for dinner tonight. You need to help us get ready."
"For more information, we have the Hamilton's," Zena said, casually leaning against the door. "Apparently you and Mum are going to help Will find another horse."
Laya stared at her silently.
"What?" Zena asked curiously. Laya blinked and looked away.
"Nothing," she shrugged. "Your hair is just sticking out on a weird angle."
Zena disappeared, most likely to fix her hair.
"Get dressed and come downstairs. You have jobs," Mum said, walking out and closing the door behind her.
"I'm doomed," Laya thought aloud. "Completely and utterly doomed."
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks for reading
please comment and subscribe