Status: and we're back!

To Sweden With Love

femtiosex

As much as I wanted to stay in Toronto to cheer on the boys in the World Cup, I knew I couldn’t.

Stupid responsibilities.

A couple days after getting home from Toronto, I was back in full teacher mode. After school, I would get home and skype with Ellie while watching the games.

“Okay so, I think I am gonna fly into Toronto on Thursday and stay until Sunday.” I said as I sat down in the living room and turned on the TV.

Ellie laughed. “What about school? You can’t abandon those kids this early into the year.”

I shrugged. “I’ll just take a long weekend and be back Monday morning. Besides, Derick’s birthday is Thursday and I figured we could all go out.”

She sighed. “You know it doesn’t look good to take days off this early in the year, especially since you’re going to be missing the end of the year due to the baby. And I think Derick will forgive you for missing his birthday.”

I pouted. “But I wanna play the supportive girlfriend like you do all the time.”

She rolled her eyes. “You know damn well he would tell you the same thing I am. Don’t make me call him.”

I huffed. “But best friend?”

“Best friend wants you to stay home and relax and not add stress to you or the baby.” I saw Derick poke his head in. “Besides, the Swede hasn’t seen you but a handful of days over the summer, he will survive.”

“Plus, you love your students more than him.” Ellie added.

“Ugh fine.” I huffed as my phone rang. “Speaking of the devil, he’s calling. I’ll get back on later.”

I closed out of my chat with Ellie as I answered my phone.

“Were your ears burning?”

He chuckled. “No why?”

“Oh no reason.” I said as I muted the game. “So I don’t think I am gonna make it this weekend.”

“Oh?”

I sighed. “Well I wanted to come out Thursday, but Ellie and Derick talked me out of it cause she used my students and our baby against me. And I cannot seem to find a late flight on Friday. So I will be the supportive girlfriend from your couch.”

“It’s fine Liv. I was actually going to tell you to stay home and rest. You have been travelling a lot. And I just don’t want anything to happen to either one of you.”

I rubbed my belly. “You guys are no fun, but you’re probably right. You and Patric ready to face Murr tomorrow?”

“Yup. We actually had lunch with him earlier. Gibson might actually start. He jammed his thumb or something the other day.”

“Well hopefully it isn’t anything too serious.”

He sighed. “I can’t wait to get back to Pittsburgh.”

“It would be nice to get back into a routine, I’m sure.” I said taking a sip of tea.

“Among other things.” He mumbled.

Before I could ask, I heard my other line click in.

“Carl, I’ll call you back. My mother is calling.”

He said a quick goodbye before I clicked over.

“Hey mama, what’s up?”

“Where are you? Me and your father are standing outside your house. I figured you would be home by now.”

I sat straight up. “What are you talking about? You’re outside my house?”

She laughed. “We decided to surprise you with a visit since we haven’t seen you since May. Now where are you?”

I got up and grabbed my keys and purse as I rushed out the door. “Give me about 15 and I’ll be there.”

Shortly after, I pulled into my driveway to see my parents sitting on my porch. I parked my car and ran over to my mother and gave her a hug.

“If I knew you guys were coming, I would have been here.” I said as I turned to my father and hugged him.

“Hence the idea of a surprise. Can we go in? Your neighbors have been driving by and staring.” My mother said.

I bit my lip. “That's probably cause I haven't been staying here for a few weeks.”

My father crossed his arms as his eyebrow raised. “Oh? Where have you been living?”

“My boyfriend, or whatever you want to call him.” I sighed as I jingled my keys. “We have a lot to catch up on. Do you guys just want to follow me leave your car here?”

They looked at each other before my mother picked her carry on off the ground.

“I’ll ride with you. Your father can follow us.”

I nodded as I followed them to the cars. As soon as we got situated, I backed out of my driveway, and headed back to Carl’s.

We rode in silence for about halfway before my mother spoke up.

“Boyfriend huh?”

I laughed and shook my head. “Yes, well kind of. I really haven't seen much of him cause he travels a lot.”

“Oh? Tell me about him.” she said staring out the window.

I sighed. “Do we really have to do this? I can take care of myself.”

“Yes but you also just ditched the last man in your life at the altar. Now tell me about this new guy.”

I groaned. “Okay fine. His name is Carl.”

“And what does this Carl do for a living?”

I shifted in my seat. “Jesus, I feel 16 again. He plays for the Penguins.”

She turned her head and gave me a surprised look. “The Penguins? As in the team we've had season tickets to since you were a baby?”

I nodded. “Yes.”

She laughed. “Your father is gonna love this.”

I rolled my eyes as we pulled up to Carl’s house. As soon as we parked, she got out and walked over to my father.

“You'll never guess who's house we are staying at!”

-----------------

The next night, my parents sat at the counter as I threw together some dinner before the World Cup games started.

“So how was your summer Olivia? I feel like we haven’t seen or heard from you since May.” My mother said as she swirled her glass of wine.

“Yeah, I apologize. I just needed some time to myself.” I said as I sliced up some chicken. “I spent the first couple weeks after the almost wedding in seclusion, until I realized that I needed to get back to my life. I then spent all of June in Hawaii.”

“Hawaii? For a month?” My father said as he almost spit out his beer. “How did you afford that after losing money on the wedding?”

I rolled my eyes as I tossed the chicken into the skillet with the vegetables. “I had some money saved up. I probably didn’t need to spend a full month there, but it was worth it.”

My mother shot my father a look. “I bet it was. When Ellie called to tell us about her engagement, she said something about Sweden?”

I nodded. “She had planned a trip out there to spend time with Patric’s family since she had gotten close to them. And it just ended up Carl lives close to them, so me and Derick, her fiance, flew out there to surprise them.”

“Sounds like you had a good summer.” My father said as I put a plate of food in front of him and my mother. “Have you heard from Michael?”

I groaned as my mother elbowed him. “I have. We have had lunch a few times.” I put my hand up before my father could say anything. “But it does not mean I am reuniting with him. Papa, I am happy where I am right now.”

“You were happy with him until you ran off.” He said taking a bite of his food.

I slammed the pan in the sink as I turned around. “Okay truth time. I wasn’t happy towards the end. He was never home, and when he was, we would fight. I figured that it was part of pre-marital stress with planning the wedding and what not. But then, I went to a end of the season party with Ellie, and I met Carl.”

“So you cheated on Michael?!” My father exclaimed.

I adamantly shook my head. “Oh my God no. But, I had feelings for him. And that helped me realize that Michael wasn’t who I wanted to be with.”

“So you were getting cold feet.” My mother asked as she got up and hugged me.

My father sighed and rolled his eyes as he went to the living room to watch the game with his food. I looked at my mother as she nodded. I groaned as I went to the fridge to grab another beer before heading into the living room.

I sat down and opened the beer before handing it to my father. We sat there in silence watching the game until Stroman scored halfway through the first period for Sweden.

“That was a nice goal.” He said taking a drink of his beer.

I nodded as I shifted in my seat.

“Look papa,” I said as I turned towards him. “I know you liked Michael, but that part of my life is over.”

“I know.” He said muting the television, ‘but you are my only child. I just want what is best for you. And for you to be happy.”

I smiled as I inched closer and gave him a hug. “I know. And I truly am. Happier than I have been, in a really long time.”

He nodded and patted me on the leg. “Okay then. Enough with feelings, let’s get back to some hockey.”

-----------------

A few days later, all was back to normal between me and my parents as we were getting ready for the semifinal match between Sweden and Finland.

I was in the kitchen throwing together some spinach dip when the doorbell rang.

“You want one of us to get it?” My father yelled from the living room.

I walked over to the door and yelled “I got it” as I opened it to see Ian standing there.

“Where the party at?” He said as I stepped aside to let him in.

I rolled my eyes and laughed. “Not much of a party. I got nachos, crackers and spinach dip, and I bought one of those 6 foot long subs.”

He rubbed his hands together. “Sounds good to me.”

“Liv?” My mother poked her head around the corner.

“Oh!” I exclaimed as I pulled Ian into the living room. “Mama, papa, this is Ian. Ian, meet my parents.”

“I know who he is.” my father said as he shook his hand.

I rolled my eyes. “Sometimes I forget you are famous, Ian. Everyone have a seat, the game is about to start and I am almost done throwing food together.”

I walked back into the kitchen to finish the dip as my mother followed me.

She plated the crackers and veggies around the bowl of dip as I moved onto throwing together the nacho toppings when we heard laughter from the living room.

“Your father seems to like him.” She stated.

I shrugged as I grabbed the tray and started toward the living room. “He’s not the one I need papa to like.”

---------------------------------

At the end of the third period, it was tied 2-2. I got up to go get refills on drinks.

“Your parents are cool as fuck Liv.” Ian said as he grabbed a couple of beers out of the fridge.

“Where do you think I got it from?” I said putting the lid on the dip. “I just hope they take the same liking to Carl when they meet him.”

He laughed. “I met your parents before he did? Man, I must be special.”

I rolled my eyes. “Yeah well, I was expecting them to be here until the season began.”

“You tell them your news yet?” He said as he grabbed a carrot.

I shook my head. “No. Me and my papa already aren’t on the best terms at the moment. I don’t need him to murder me. They are here until Friday, I will just figure out how to tell them when Carl gets home.”

He laughed. “He already dislikes him cause he thinks he was the reason you left Michael.”

I groaned as I wiped down the counter. “I know, which it partially was. But I hope he doesn’t murder him when I tell him the news.”

Ian patted my back before heading into the living room where my father was calling for him. “I’m sure it will work out. Haggy has one of the lovable personalities. Once your dad meets him, he will forget about hating him.”

I sighed and followed him. “I hope you’re right.”

-------------------------------------------

Not even four minutes into overtime, Team Europe scored to win, knocking Sweden out of the World Cup.

“Man, wouldn’t it be some shit if Europe beat Canada in the finals?” My father said as he helped me take the rest of the food and dishes into the kitchen after Ian left.

I laughed. “You know Canada is unstoppable. And have you seen how Sid is playing? No chance Europe wins.”

“I don’t know Olivia. I think they could at least give them a run for their money.”

I put the dishes in the dishwasher and started before kissing my father on the kiss. “I am going to take a bath then head to bed. I got kiddos counting on me tomorrow.”

I heard the echoes of my parents saying goodnight as I walked down the hall to my bedroom. As I let the water run for my bath, I grabbed my phone as it pinged.

I love you.

I smiled.

I love you too. Sorry about the loss, you guys played well.

could have been better

I laughed and shook my head as I turned my music on and got into the tub.

About forty five minutes later, I found myself waking up in a tub of cold water.

I dried myself off and threw my hair up before getting into bed and setting my alarm. After getting comfortable, I texted Carl.

when are you coming home?

I waited a few minutes for a response, to no avail. I sighed and put my phone on the nightstand as I turned over and closed my eyes.

--------------------------------

A few hours later, I felt the bed shift beside me and someone plant a kiss on my forehead. I opened one eye to see Carl lying beside me.

“You’re home.” I said smiling.

He nodded. “I didn’t mean to wake you up.”

“I’m glad you did, I missed you.” I said moving closer and snuggling into his chest.

He sighed. “I missed you too Liv. But I have a question, who’s car is our driveway?”

I cursed under my breath. “My parents! I knew I forgot to tell you something!”

He chuckled. “At least it isn’t a secret boyfriend.”

I smacked his chest as I got comfy and closed my eyes. “Oh hush. Now quiet, I gotta be up in a couple hours.”

----------------------------------------

When my alarm went off that morning, I reached over to turn it off then rolled over to an empty spot, expecting Carl to be there.

I groaned as I forced myself out of bed. “Well it was a good dream.”

As I was getting dressed, I heard faint laughter coming from the kitchen. Intrigued, I walked down the hall to see my parents sitting at the counter and Carl cooking breakfast.

“Good morning love.” He said kissing my forehead.

“I thought you coming home in the middle of the night was a dream.” I said grabbing a glass of orange juice.

He chuckled as he plated pancakes and turkey bacon and handed me the plate. “No. I just figured I would get up and make breakfast for you and your parents before you went to work.”

I gave my father a confused look as I grabbed the syrup. “And you are getting along?”

“Of course we are,” he said as he wiped his mouth with his napkin. “He opened his house to me and your mother and made us a wonderful breakfast.”

“He is even taking us to the rink later to meet the team.” My mother gushed.

I rolled my eyes as I looked at my watch. “Crap. I need to go.”

I took a few more bites of my pancakes before getting up and kissing both my parents on their cheeks. When I got to my father, I got close enough to whisper in his ear.

“I don’t know what you are up to, but please be nice.”

He nodded as I walked over to Carl to give him a kiss and hug. “Have fun at the rink, and keep my mother out of trouble.”

Both he and my father laughed as my mother gave me a shocked look as I walked out the door.

-----------------------------------------------------

The day before my parents were to head back home, we decided to take them out to eat.

I rushed around the bedroom getting ready until Carl grabbed my arm as he laughed.

“Will you calm down? It’s just dinner.”

I groaned as I walked over to the vanity to finish my makeup. “I know but, things have been going too well with you guys this week.”

“What do you mean?”

I sighed. “Before you got home he wasn’t your biggest fan. Then, I wake up to you two joking in the kitchen.”

“Maybe he just had to meet me and get to know me.”

“Maybe.” I said as I slid on my dress. “Now come zip me up so we can go eat. The baby is hungry.”

About thirty minutes later, we were looking at the menus at the Monterey Bay Fish Grotto when the waitress came to take our drink orders.

“I’ll have whatever he is having,” my father motioned to Carl, “ and the two ladies will have a glass of the house wine.” My father said.

I smiled at the waitress and told her I would just take a glass of water as Carl ordered a beer.

“Don’t be silly Olivia, take the glass of wine.” My father said.

“No really papa, I’m good with just water.”

“Olivia, just take the wine. You’ve had a long week.” My mother said.

I sighed. “I just can’t okay?”

“Uh Liv-” Carl started before my father interrupted him.

“Why not? You never turn down a glass of good wine.”

“Cause I’m pregnant okay?” I said slamming my menu down.

“What do you mean you’re pregnant?” My mother asked as the drinks arrived and we placed our order.

I fiddled with the napkin in my lap. “Well you see, when a boy and girl love each other -”

My father snorted. “Love? You don’t know what that is. If you did, you would be married right now, and having a baby with the right man.”

Carl choked on his beer. “The right man?”

I rubbed my temple. “He thinks I should have married Michael.”

He calmly set his beer down and cleared his throat. “Let me tell you something. When I met Olivia, I never expected to fall in love with her, but I did. Yes, I knew she was with Michael, and even when she refused to talk to me and avoided the games, I couldn’t shake her.”

I put my hand on his arm. “Carl-”

“Wait, I’m not done. They need to hear my side of things.”

My mother nodded. “Go on.”

“I honestly thought that Liv had gotten married and moved away for a month afterwards. My heart was broken. Hell, she even had my teammates and friends lie to me. Then I saw her and eventually tracked her to Hawaii. I told her then, and I will tell you guys now, I love her. More than words can even explain. And I don’t ever plan on letting her go again.”

I smiled as I felt the tears trickle down my face. I blotted my cheeks as the food came.

“I know this pregnancy wasn’t planned, and you might think of it as a huge mistake, but we don’t.”

We ate our food in silence. As the check came, Carl headed out to get the car as my father grabbed the check.

“Olivia,” my mother said softly as she grabbed my arm walking out of the restaurant, “we are happy for you. Please know that. It’s just a lot to take in.”

I nodded. “I know.”

----------------------------------------

After we got home, I headed to our bedroom as my parents went to the guest room. I sighed as I sat down and slipped off my shoes.

“Well that dinner was eventful.” Carl said as he unbuttoned and rolled up his sleeves.

I rolled my eyes as I stood up so he could unzip my dress. “I told you it was going too well with him.”

He chuckled. “He really does love Michael, doesn’t he?”

I groaned as I threw on sweats and a tee.

“Can we not talk about this? It doesn’t matter anymore.” I said as I walked over and gave him a kiss. “What matters is that we are finally in the same house for longer than a couple days and we have this little bean coming into our lives.”

He smiled as he kissed my forehead. “I’m gonna go make you some tea. Try to relax some.”

I nodded as he went out to the kitchen. I grabbed my phone and walked out to the back porch and called Ellie.

“Well if it isn’t my long lost friend.”

I rolled my eyes. “Sorry, it’s been a long week. My parents decided to make a surprise visit.”

She laughed. “Well shit, tell them to come visit me. You know they like me more anyways.”

“Oh I’m sure they do after this visit.” I said before I gave her a brief rundown of the week’s events.

“Well damn Liv. I’m sorry. That is definitely not how I expected them to react.”

“Yeah same here.” I said as I heard the glass door slid open and Carl come out. “But I know that the decisions I have made in the past six months were the right ones.”

Carl smiled as he sat down and handed me my tea.

“Oh I know they were, I tried telling you for months that wedding wasn't going to happen. But just give your parents some time, they will come around.”

We chit chatted a few more minutes before my father walked out. I told her I would call her sometime tomorrow before I hung up.

My father cleared his throat. “I think I owe both of you an apology.”

I snorted. “You think?”

“You honestly don’t owe me anything. You were just being protective, I get that.” Carl said as he stood up and walked towards to house. “Liv, I’ll be right inside if you need me.”

I groaned as my father sat down. “Olivia, listen-”

“You said some really unfair things papa.”

He sighed. “I know. I was wrong. Olivia, I only want what is best for you. And I know now Michael wasn’t it.”

I laughed. “What made you figure that one out?”

“I’ve seen the way Carl looks at you, and the way he spoke of you. It was different than Michael. He really does love you.”

I smiled. “I know he does. He is really good to me papa.”

He reached over and grabbed my hand. “I know. And I see that now. I’m sorry. But I am happy for you two, and excited.” He smiled. “I’m gonna be a grandpa.”

I laughed as I got up and hugged him. “Yes you are.”

------------------------------------

A little over a week later, Ellie came into town for training camp and PensFest.

“Fucking Pittsburgh traffic. It’s a Sunday, it shouldn’t take me more than thirty minutes to get downtown.” I growled as I parked in the garage.

She laughed as we got out of the car and walked towards the entrance of the arena. “Today’s gonna be fun, especially when Carl sees you wearing Ian’s jersey.”

I shrugged as I dug out the tickets from my purse and handed them to the usher. “He’ll just have to get over it. Today, I am a fan. Besides, you could have worn Patric instead of Dumo.”

“Yeah but, Dumo sent me this cause I’m his favorite. It’s special.” She said as we grabbed schedules and our scratch off cards as we headed up to the concourse.

We went and found seats to put our stuff as I scratched my card. “Oh look, a free hot dog I can’t eat.”

Ellie scratched hers and started laughing. “I won an autograph session.”

I rolled my eyes and chuckled. “Seriously? We can get those anytime we want. What session did you get?”

“I don’t know, it doesn’t say. I guess I better go find out.”

“I’ll be wandering around the arena until game time with the Wilkes Barre boys.” I said as I looked at the schedule.

I was heading down to rink level to go check out the stations when i felt my phone vibrate.

where are you?

I chuckled as I typed my response back to Carl.

in a sea of penguin fans, hiding from you

I walked towards the display of all the trophies when I got his response.

i’ll find you later. Got autographs to sign

I rolled my eyes as Ellie texted me, telling me she was in line for the autograph session and she would just meet me at the seats. I shot her a quick response as I head back to the seats.

I was sitting there watching Tom, Murr, Rust, Scotty, Conor and Derrick play Five Second Rule when I saw Carl make his way to one of the demonstration areas to mingle with fans.

In between segments, I went up and got some food when Ellie called me.

“Where did you go?”

“I got hungry, so I came up for some nachos and a pretzel. You done already?”

She laughed. “Yeah, I’ll tell you all about it when you get back down here.”

I hung up as I went to pay for my food. I grabbed some napkins and headed back to my seat as I saw Ellie laughing to herself.

“What’s so funny?” I said as I sat down.

“I got in the session where Patric was signing. Man, his face was priceless. But let me tell you, Schultzy is one fine looking man.”

I laughed as my phone vibrated.

seriously? Cole? He isn’t even in this session.

“Uh oh El, I’ve been spotted.” I said as I showed Ellie my phone as she stole a nacho.

“That’s probably because he’s down by the stage.” She said as she waved to Carl.

I smiled and waved too as he just shook his head as the HBK line was announced to come on stage.

“You think he’ll forgive me?”

“Well, if not, you are still stuck with him.”

---------------------------

The next day, Carl took Ellie to the airport before practice when I went to the school.

After work, I headed home to get ready for the big night ahead, where the boys got their Stanley Cup rings.

When I went into the bedroom to find something to wear, I saw a box sitting on the bed. Intrigued, I walked over and opened it.

“I figured you could use something nice to wear.” Carl said as he walked in behind me.

I pulled the red dress out of the box and turned to him.

“Red? Really? Did Derick pick this out?" I said jokingly as he laughed.

"No, I love it.” I said smiling. “But you didn’t have to do this.”

He sighed. “I know I didn’t have to, but I wanted to. Lauren helped me pick it out. Bones tried getting you a gold glittery one.”

I laughed as I started to change. “Well, I’m glad you didn’t go with his suggestion.”

He zipped me up as he grabbed his tie to put it on and his jacket as I touched up my hair and makeup.

Shortly after, we were on our way to the Strip District.

“So I was thinking...” I started as we got onto the interstate.

He chuckled. “This should be good.”

I rolled my eyes. “Anyways, I was thinking we should get a puppy!”

“How about no?”

I pouted. “Why not? Puppies are adorable!”

“Because, I am gone all of the time and don’t have time for one.”

“Okay but, I am home all the time, and alone when you are on the road. Wouldn’t you feel safer if I had a guard dog?”

He chuckled. “That’s what alarm systems are for. Olivia, we don’t need a dog.”

I sat back in my seat and crossed my arms. “Fine. Ellie has a dog, why can’t I have one?”

He sighed. “Because Derick is a stupid idiot, that is why she has Blades.”

“Fine, I will just ask Mats for a pup for Christmas.”

He groaned. “How about we talk about this some other time? Tonight’s supposed to be a good night.”

I grinned. “So you’ll think about it?”

“If it gets you to drop the subject right now, yes.”

I clapped my hands as he pulled off of the exit and headed to the Heinz History Center.

After he parked the car, he grabbed my hand as we walked into the building.

Once we got upstairs, I noticed Lauren and Malin talking over in the corner.

“Carl, I’m going to go mingle. I will find you here in a bit.” I said as I kissed his cheek.

As I walked over to Lauren and Malin, Lauren had a huge smile.

“I knew that dress would look good on you!” She said as she gave me a hug.

“I’m just glad he didn’t go with Nick’s choice of gold and sparkly.”

“So how are you feeling?” Malin asked.

“Really good. Glad to be over the first trimester. I am just hungry all the time.”

Lauren laughed. “It gets better when the strange cravings start.”

We stood around talking about our summers until I saw Tom and Alexis walk in. I excused myself and went over to give Tom a hug.

“Tommy! Ich habe dich vermisst!”

He laughed as Alexis gave me a strange look. “Liv. Gut zu sehen, Sie haben sich nicht verändert.”

“Um guys,” Alexis interrupted, “you know I don’t speak German right?”

I rolled my eyes. “Ellie wollte sicherstellen, dass du wüßtest, dass es ihr leid tut, dass sie das getroffen hat. Auch dachte sie es verdient.”

He nodded as Alexis huffed and pulled him away. I chuckled to myself as I felt an arm wrap around my waist.

“Are you causing trouble?” Carl said as he kissed my temple.

“Me? Never.” I said as I saw Alexis narrowing her eyes at me. “Just making sure he knew Ellie was sorry for her previous actions.”

“Mhmm.” He said with a grin. “You ready to go grab our seats so we can eat? Cause I know you are hungry.”

I nodded as I took his hand as he lead me to our table with Patric, Malin, Lauren, Nick, and Phil.

After dinner, the owners, GM, and Coach Sullivan all gave their speeches before a video montage of the past season was shown.

Mario came back to the microphone to start the ring presentation.

“I can’t wait to see these rings.” Nick said rubbing his hands together.

Mario slowly moved his way through the roster. When he got to Phil, me and Lauren yelled ‘Phil Kessel, Stanley Cup Champion!’ as he grinned and laughed.

When he got back to the table, I took the box and opened it to look at the ring.

“Oh my God, it’s beautiful. And huge!”

He laughed. “It isn’t that big.”

Once all the guys had their rings, Tanger took over to present the wives and girlfriends with their rings. I shifted in my seat as Carl draped his arm over me.

“Sorry you don’t get a ring.”

“Why? I didn’t do anything to deserve one. We weren’t even together. Plus, I caused more trouble during the playoffs than anything.” I said laughing.

After all the presentations, we hung around a little bit longer before I started to yawn constantly.

“Come on love, let’s go home.” Carl chuckled.

I said goodbye to Lauren and Malin, promising to call them in the next few days, as I followed Carl out the door.

When we got home, I tiredly walked my way into the house and into the bedroom.

“You really did look beautiful tonight Liv.” Carl said coming in, loosening his tie.

“Well you did buy me the dress. And you even matched with the tie.” I said as I changed into my pajamas and climbed into bed.

“That I did.” He said as he changed and followed suit, kissing my forehead before laying down.

“You know what would have made tonight even better?”

“Hmm?”

I smiled as I turned off my lamp. “A puppy.”