A Little Piece of Heaven

Chapter 40

Matt's POV

I watched her disappear into a room to get her blood tests done and I wanted to go in with her, I didn't want to let her out of my sight, but she wanted to go by herself.

"Matt." Elizabeth said.

I looked at her questioningly.

"She won't be long." She said softly.

"I know." And I did know, I just wish she had have let me go in with her.

"Okay." She said. "Matt?"

I looked at her again. I swear if she mentioned my penis I was walking out.

"Why my sister?"

"Sorry?" I asked her, raising my eyebrow's.

"Why Charlotte?" She asked again. "Why her?"

"I have no idea Elizabeth." And I really didn't. "It just happened, one day she was just Charlotte then the next she was the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen." And that was exactly how it happened.

"How does Monique feel about this?" She asked.

"Elizabeth, I broke up with her, I did not pursue your sister until we'd broken up." I told her, reassured her.

She was grilling me, I mean I'd expected it, but not here, in the doctors office of all places.

"She'll cause trouble you know." She told me.

I nodded, I was well aware of that fact. "I know."

"And if my sister gets hurt in anyway, it's you who will pay." She said and yeah, her eye's showed me that I would indeed pay.

How do you explain to someone that you would do anything in your power to protect someone? Nothing would ever happen to Charlotte while I was around.

"That won't happen Elizabeth, I won't let anyone hurt her." I told her softly and I meant it.

She reached over and squeezed my hand. "Good."

The door opened and Charlotte came back out. She had a small bandage on her arm again, where they'd taken the blood and I knew by tomorrow it would be a horrible bruise, another one to add to her collection.

She smiled at me and I reached out for her hand, taking it gently.

"We have an hour to kill guys." She told us.

"Coffee?" Elizabeth suggested.

I nodded, standing up, coffee sounded good and as we walked out I slipped my arm around Charlottes shoulders. I'd been trying not to think about what her Oncologist might say but at the same time I was trying to prepare myself for bad news.

"So Charlotte, be honest, how do you feel?" Elizabeth asked as we sat down with a coffee.

"I'm okay." She said quietly and I knew she was lying.

"Charlotte." Elizabeth said.

"I'm tired but other than that, I don't feel too bad."

I knew Charlotte was tired, when she slept, which she did often, she slept so soundly, nothing would wake her.

"I hope you're not keeping her up?" Elizabeth asked me.

I looked at her wide eyed, how was I supposed to answer that?

"Oh Elizabeth." Charlotte said, leaning her head on my shoulder. "He's keeping me up, but in a good way."

"Yeah, that's enough of that." I told her, kissing the top of her head. Elizabeth looked like she was going to launch herself across the table and strangle me.

"It's time anyway." Elizabeth said standing up. "Lucky for you." She said to me.

We walked back to the specialsts office, me with my arm around Charlotte, I just couldn't not touch her, believe me, I was as astounded at my feelings as everyone else. I'd never been like this, so needy, I needed Charlotte, and if she was near me I had to touch her.

As we approached the doors and Elizabeth opened them, I pulled Charlotte back.

She stopped, smiling at me. "Matt?" She asked.

I pulled her into my arms, kissing her softly. "Charlotte." I whispered. "Whatever he says, I'm here and I'm not going anywhere."

She smiled and I saw her eye's light up. "Thank you Matt."

I kissed her again. She didn't have to thank me, I should be thanking her, thanking her for being her, for being Charlotte.

"God you two." Elizabeth said, sticking her head out of the door. "Can you stop?"

Charlotte rolled her eyes at me and we walked in, taking a seat.

Everything was going to be just fine.