A Little Piece of Heaven

Chapter 44

Elizabeths POV

I vaguely heard the phone ringing but Zack answered it, so I rolled over, closing my eyes and drifting back to sleep. It as the middle of the night so I couldn't imagine why someone was calling now.

I could hear him murmuring softly, but I didn't listen, I didn't care, it was the middle of the night for god sake.

"Babe." He whispered, touching my shoulder softly.

"Mmmm." I mumbled sleepily.

"Elizabeth." He murmured, his lips close to my ear.

"Mmmmm."

"Babe, that was Matt." He said softly.

What did Matt want in the middle of the night? Jesus.

"Elizabeth, Charlottes in hospital." He told me softly.

I opened my eye's. "What?" What did he say?

"She wasn't feeling well, Matt took her to the hospital, they're admitting her." He explained as I tried to fight off my sleepy feeling, panic setting in.

I sat up. "I need to get there."

"Of course, I'll take you."

"Don't be silly, you stay in bed." I told him while I grabbed some clothes out of the wardrobe.

"Elizabeth, I'm coming." He said, pulling a shirt on. "I want to be there."

Good, I was glad, I wanted him with me, I needed him there.

We dressed quickly and drove to the hospital, well Zack drove, I was to busy worrying about Charlotte, it had to be bad if she'd been admitted to hospital. I just knew this would happen.

We got to the hospital in record time and Zack led the way, Matt had told him exactly what room Charlotte was in.

Luckily the nurses had been expecting us.

"She's resting." One told me, rising to greet us as we rushed in.

I nodded, opening the door.

Matt was sitting there, holding her hand and Charlotte was sleeping. She had oxygen on but I could see her breathing was laboured.

"What happened?" I asked Matt, approaching the bed.

"It happened so quickly." He told me. "I knew she wasn't 100% but I was keeping an eye on her Elizabeth, I swear."

I sighed. Of course he had been. I knew he'd been watching her like a hawk.

"Suddenly she just woke me up, sick, really sick." He said softly.

Poor Matt, he looked so stressed and honestly, like a bag of shit.

"We knew it would happen." I said quietly, pulling a chair over.

He nodded, raising Charlottes hand to his lips.

"The doctor will be in early, to discuss our next move." He whispered.

I nodded. Thanks to Charlottes stubbornness things had gone from not too bad to critical in a few hours.

"What will happen Elizabeth?" Matt suddenly asked me.

I looked at him, poor Matt, he was so worried.

"Honestly I don't know." I said, squeezing his hand. "Chemo, bone marrow, I really don't know."

He looked at Charlotte, nodding.

"You okay?" I asked him.

"Huh?" He said, looking at me. "Of course I'm not okay."

"You don't have to be here." I told him quietly.

"What....Elizabeth I do have to be here." He looked confused.

"It's okay Matt, you can leave now, she'll be okay." I was trying to give him an out, this was a lot for anyone to handle.

"Why would I leave Elizabeth?" He asked. "I'm not going anywhere without her."

"Matt." I whispered.

"No, I love her Elizabeth, I wished you get used to it." He told me, looking back at Charlotte.

"Okay."

He looked at me, he looked pissed. "Elizabeth, your sister is my girlfriend. I know you don't approve of me but she does. She loves me back and I would never leave her side, ever. I'll do anything for her, anything."

"Matt, I approve." I told him quietly. He was everything I'd ever wanted my sister to have. "It's just things are going to get bad."

"I know that and I will still be sitting here holding her hand, no matter how bad it gets."

I hugged him, it made me feel better knowing Matt was here for her. Last time it had been tough, this time Matt was here to share the pain, it sounded terrible, but that's how I felt.

I sat back and watched Charlotte sleep. I watched her chest rise and fall and I watched Matt, watching her.

Did she know, my baby sister, did she know that there was a man here who cherished the ground she walked on and would do anything for her?

I hoped she did. They belonged together and I honestly hoped they'd get their Happily Ever After.

I hoped she would win this fight, for her and for Matt.