The Hurt You Sold

Five

.:.Present Time.:.

"What happened after that?" Maura questioned looking up from her notes.

"Frank had talked with his mother reassuring her it'll all be ok. And I'm assuming it did stay better because I don't believe they ever got back together." Lyla looked sadly at her hands before she spoke again. "Frank was really good about making you fell better, you know? I mean, I guess you wouldn't know but, he was."

"Did Frank finish high school at that school? You mentioned once before you didn't finish senior year there."

"I'm not sure."

"Do you imagine he received the same invite?"

"I don't see him going to a class reunion when he hated that school. Besides he's famous, what does he have to gain by going back there again? I'm not even sure if I want to go. There's some people I just can't face."

"Like who?"

"That's for another day. I have to go pick up Mason."

"Ok Lyla, I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yes bright and early." Lyla half smiled giving a small wave as she let herself out.

Lyla raced over to her son's school to wait for him to come out. She watched in delight as Mason ran towards her car waving a piece of paper all around. It was bound to be either torn or badly wrinkled by the time he got to the car due to the snow beginning to come down. "Slow down speed racer." Lyla laughed brushing the snowflakes from his jet black hair.

"Mom, seriously?" He laughed quickly brushing out his hair so no-one would notice his mother babying him.

"Oh someone's grown today." She teased.

"Mom look at this progress report!" He cheered with a proud smirk.

"Oh my goodness Mason! This is cause for a celebration!"

"Pizza?"

"Yes!"

"Yes!! Let's pick it up before it gets too snowy out." Mason spoke, extra excited about how well his day was going for him.

Lyla drove him over to his favorite pizza place, Angelo's. The past few month's they've been back Mason grew fond of this pizza. It was Lyla's favorite place as a child seems Mason inherited the same love for pizza. "Hey little guy!" Max one of the owners greeted Mason with a high five.

"I got all A's on my progress report!" He cheered showing him his paper.

"Wow! This goes right at the top of the bulletin board! One large pepperoni pie for the whiz kid!" Angelo's was very chid friendly. They gave free pizza's to the kids who stayed out of trouble, got good grades, or birthdays. It was kind of an incentive for kids to do well to get on Angelo's good mark board.

"This is the best day ever, I love you." Mason cheesed giving his mom a huge hug and kiss.

"I love you too baby."

"Here you go little man! Keep up the good work." Max smiled handing Mason a huge pizza box.

"Thank you." Lyla shot him a smile before turning and walking out. "Jesus Christ." She gasped out loud noticing someone she thought she'd never, ever see again.

"What's wrong mommy?" Mason asked as they were now quickly approaching Lyla's car.

"Nothing baby, just nothing." She lied hurrying off. She didn't stick around to see if who she saw was actually who it was. Watching a much older, more manlier Mikey Way sitting down in the back of the pizza parlor. She didn't want to find out who he was there with. She was nearly having a panic attack on the way home, a rather noticeable one.

"Mommy are you ok?" Mason asked noticing her uneasy breathing.

"Yes baby I'm fine." She answered quickly still breathing heavily.

"Lets go inside." He suggested one she stopped the car in the driveway.

"Go on ahead baby. Here's the keys I'm right behind you." Mason slowly took the keys from his mother and did as he was told. She unzipped her jacket and got out of the car. She really couldn't catch her breath. Lyla was so shaken up she began to see stars.

"Ma'am? Hello are you ok?" A female's voice was heard rushing over to her as she was sliding against her car.

"Yes, thank you." Lyla sighed grabbing ahold of the strangers arm.

"Come on, lets get you inside." The lady suggested guiding her to Lyla's front door.

"Son, get your mother some water."

"Yes ma'am." Mason obeyed running off to the kitchen.

"Goodness, thank you. I'm really fine. Just had a little anxiety attack." Lyla confessed.

"I'm glad you're alright."

"Oh my god." Lyla shrieked pulling away from the ladies grip.

"What's the matter?"

"Linda? Linda Iero?" Lyla asked remembering that sweet motherly face. She had aged quite a bit in the last 11 years but she still remembered her face. "This cannot be happening." Lyla sighed putting her face in her hands.

"Have we met before?'

"It's me...Lyla." She whispered not really wanting Linda to know who she was. It seemed Linda never moved away. Lyla made sure to keep to herself and not mingle with her neighbors. She didn't want the town knowing she was back. After what happened to Lyla and Frank all those years ago, anyone who still lived around her would remember them by name.

"Oh my god. Lyla, it's been years." Linda spoke wide eyed. Lyla couldn't tell if she was happy to see her or not. Sad eyes came after the shock wore off. "I had no idea you were the one living here." She confessed eyeing Mason as he cringed to his mother.

"Yeah, my father died recently so I had to move back here. Couldn't afford where we were by myself. And since this place belonged to my father, I inherited it."

"I'm sorry to hear about your father."

"Yeah, it was not a happy time. But yeah i've been here a little while. A lot has changed."

"It sure has. Look Lyla-" She began but was cut off.

"Please, I can't talk about him. I'm sure he's doing fine, and I'm sure his life is going very well for him with his music. He doesn't need to know about me. It'll only bring back painful memories." Lyla explained tears welling up in her eyes.

"You know he's never stopped loving you. Having to tell him that you were gone was the hardest thing I ever had to do. But your father did the right thing by taking you away from here, away from that day."

"Sometimes I wish he hadn't of taken me away. Nothing but emptiness and unresolved feelings through these passed 11 years."

"How old is he?"

"10. He's the best thing that came out of what happened to me."

"Lyla. My god." Was all she could say breaking down.

"He cannot know that I'm here."

"Hunny him and the boys are home until their next tour. Which I believe is at the end of the summer. They just got in a few days ago. It's going to be hard to avoid all of them in this town."

"Is he staying with you?"

"No, him and the bandmates have a house a few streets over that they rent every time their home. But Frank hasn't come home to see me yet."

"Please, here's my number. Let me know when he's near. I can't see him. It's not the right time. I'm not sure if there will be a right time. God I should of never come back here."

"Lyla, it'll be alright. Trust me, I won't tell him you're here. Just prepare for what you're going to do when you do run into each other." Linda suggested heading towards the front door.

"Thank you."

"It's good to see you again. Take care of your mommy." She smiled at Mason before leaving.

Lyla and Mason went and finished their dinner, she let him have extra video game time since his grades were on point plus it was a Friday evening. Lyla sat in her room before bed going through old photos in an old shoe box she saved all of these years. A form of self loathing came over her looking at the girl she once was in these photos. Upset at how one night took her happiness from her. How she missed out on what could have been. She replaced the shoe box back under her bed and collected her thoughts. Linda was right. She needed to prepare for what would happen if she did run into Frank again. She needed to straighten herself up for her son. Stop being so scared of reality and living in this empty shell of a mind. Lyla was a live and well with a beautiful son who she's neglected that special attention she knows she should be giving Mason. Easier said than done right? It's something Lyla has promised herself to work on. Not wanting to waste anymore of her life living in fear and in pain.