Sequel: Fulfilling Fate

Arranging Fate

Game Piece

Zion was already at the dining table, writing on a piece of parchment so fast his hand was a blur. I wondered what it was that he did but I was too afraid to ask. That was annoying. I shouldn’t be afraid to ask my husband anything.

Heather sat be down on his right side and he narrowed his eyes.

“She belongs on my left,” he snapped and Heather glared at him.

I could tell she didn’t give in to his orders.

“She’s left handed, Zion,” she said and he stared at me. “You will bump into each other.”

“Whatever,” he said and I sat beside him awkwardly.

The servant, Ilya, brought in our plates. I glanced at the others. The girls immediately began to eat and Zion picked up his fork.

With his left hand.

I didn’t know what to say to that so I bowed my head and whispered a quick prayer. When I looked back up, Heather was looking at me curiously.

“You pray?” she asked and I nodded, picking up my fork as well.

“To the goddesses,” I said when she looked confused. “You don’t have a religion where you come from?”

“Not exactly,” she said.

“Where are you from?”

She looked at Zion, clearly wanting him to answer, but he was busy reading something. She sighed irritably.

“The kingdom we’re from is called Felden,” she answered and I gasped a little.

“But that kingdom is nearly a month from Jasper!” I said. “What in the world are you doing all the way out here?”

“Expanding,” Kassandra said simply.

“What do you mean?”

“How slow are you?” Zion snapped and I glared at him. “Is it not obvious? I’m the prince and she’s the princess.”

“Be nice,” Heather snapped but my head was reeling.

“You’re royalty?” I asked and they both nodded.

Zion had returned to his reading so I looked at Heather.

“Do the village elders know?”

“Yes,” she said. “Since your village is neither in Jasper nor the other kingdom, our parents wish to put you under Felden’s rule. From there, we hope to gain the trust of the other unclaimed villages.”

“So I’m a game piece,” I whispered.

“Took you long enough to catch on,” Zion said. I tried not to show him how much his words hurt me. “Now come on. It’s time for bed.”

“I’m not done eating,” I said.

“You are now,” he said and grabbed my hand. “No, Heather.”

She had stood up and her mouth was open to say something. Instead, she looked at me sadly and watched as he dragged me up the stairs. When we got to the bedroom, I stared at the bed.

He disappeared into his closet, presumably to change, and I did the same in mine. I found a nightgown and changed into it. I was surprised to find that it was made of silk, too. I hesitated before walking back out into the bedroom. I knew what happened after this but I was afraid.

I took a deep breath and walked out. I blushed. He wore loose trousers but not a shirt. He was putting the fire out and looked me up and down before getting in on the left side of the bed. I hovered on the other side, though.

“Are you waiting for permission?” he asked, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

“I-I’m not sure what it’s like there,” I began, “but, in our culture, on the wedding night we-.”

“I have no interest in laying with you,” he snapped. “Get in bed.”

I bit my lip and slipped into the bed. I closed my eyes and turned my back on him. There was barely a foot between our bodies and, once he started to snore quietly, I started to cry.

~-~

The next morning, he was gone when I woke up. I wasn’t too surprised and went to the closet. I changed into another gown, one of the new ones, and sat in front of my vanity. Slowly, I took my hair out of its braid. I stared at my reflection.

Why wouldn’t he consummate our marriage? I had always been considered beautiful in the village; it was one reason no one could understand why I was single. Was it from the color on my lips? Or my round cheeks? Perhaps my skin was too pale…. Or maybe he didn’t like my blue eyes.

Whatever the reason, it hurt me deeply and I cried some more, bowing my head. My hair fell around me in curls and I sighed. I composed myself and applied light makeup to cover my tears. I wiped off what remained of the lip paint then walked out.

Heather’s door was open. Kassandra was in there and I wondered where she slept. She was knitting and I walked downstairs. Heather was in the living area, reading a book and waved me over.

“Good morning,” she greeted. “Did you sleep well?”

“Yes,” I said. “The bed is more comfortable than the one at my home.”

“What was it like at your home?” she asked, putting her book down.

“Hay,” I said and she stared at me.

“That’s it? No feathers or cotton?”

I shook my head no. “Zion is right. I grew up poor once my father died in battle.”

“I’m very sorry,” she said. “I can’t imagine being poor.”

“If you’re royalty, why do you live in such a small house?”

“That’s a good quality of Zion’s that he doesn’t like people seeing,” she said. “He’s very humble; very modest. He hated living in the palace. He said it was us flaunting our wealth even though our whole kingdom is wealthy. He prefers this kind of home. Is it too small for you?”

I laughed. “Heather, we could fit my house twice over in the bottom floor alone. This is much larger than I’m used to. I didn’t even have my own room after my sister returned home.”

“Why did she come home?”

“Her husband passed,” I said sadly. “He was a great man. She misses him very much.”

“I can imagine,” she mumbled. “That must be awful for your sister and mother. I can’t imagine losing my love.”

“Did you have one in Felden?”

“No,” she said and glanced upstairs. “It upsets Zion but he knows that he can’t control my life.”

“How old is he?” I asked, just realizing I didn’t know.

“He’ll be 26 this winter,” she answered.

“And you?”

She laughed a little. “Are you ready?” she asked and I nodded. “I just turned 32.”

My jaw dropped. “You don’t look nearly that age! You look much younger!”

She smiled. “Thank you. That is thanks to my mother and father.”

“What do you mean?”

She sighed. “Again, something Zion’s supposed to tell you.”

I puffed. “If he ever speaks more than one sentence to me that’s not a snide remark.”

“Like I said, he’s just bitter. He’ll get better.”

At the moment, he came down, his face buried in a book. He didn’t even acknowledge us as he walked in and sat down across from the couch Heather and I sat in. She stared for a minute then cleared her throat loudly.

“I was just telling Aviel about Felden,” she told him and he grunted. “Perhaps we can make a trip there soon. That way she can meet Mother and Father.” He just grunted again and she tossed a rolled up piece of parchment at him. “Stop being rude.”

He glared and gripped the paper in his fist. “Do not throw things at me. And you’re not my mother. Mind your own business. That includes telling her what I am to say.”

Heather leaned her head back and laughed. “You’re being ridiculous, Zion. Just accept it and tell her.”

“Tell me what?” I asked, looking at them curiously.

“Just mind your own business,” he snapped at me and I glared, standing up.

“No wonder you were unwed in Felden,” I snapped back and stormed upstairs to my study.

I hadn’t meant to be rude but I couldn’t stand it any longer. It’s not my fault he hadn’t married before he moved here. It’s not my fault he didn’t want to get married. He just needed to get over it.

I plopped down at my desk and saw a stack of parchment and a quill with ink. I loaded it and started writing a letter to my mother.

Dear Mother,
I’m trying my best not to be angry with you. You knew who he was, didn’t you? Why didn’t you tell me? Mother, he treats me so horribly. All he’s done is be rude, make horrible comments about what I was like before I married him, and he ignores me when he’s not doing that. The only people who give me the time of day are his sister and her friend.

I have my own study, though. They got me a bunch of new dresses and a violin. It’s very beautiful and I wish I could draw; I’d send it to you. When I visit soon, I’ll bring it and play for you. The house isn’t as large as I thought it would be but I don’t mind. I like it, despite the fact that Zion is living here.

I thought marriages were supposed to be happy, Mother. I thought he was supposed to fall in love with me; that I would fall in love with him. I thought the tradition was to consummate but he wouldn’t even do that!

He calls me a game piece…. Is that true? Did you sell me? I won’t lie that my heart hurts at the idea. I hope to hear from you soon.

I love you. Say hello to Izzy for me.
Love,
Aviel


I set it to the side so that the ink could dry and sighed, putting my elbows on the desk. I looked at the clock. It was only noon and I was already bored out of my mind. Was it going to be like this forever?