Sequel: Fulfilling Fate

Arranging Fate

First Secret

I had just finished putting the folded letter into an envelope when my door flew open. I jumped. Zion stood in the doorway, looking absolutely furious and I knew why. He pointed angrily at me but didn’t walk in for some reason.

“Don’t you ever speak to me like that again!” he shouted. “You have no right!” I stayed sitting, too afraid to stand. “Well?”

“Well what?” I asked, shaking.

He rolled his eyes. “How hard is an apology to come out of your mouth?”

I glared, getting some courage and standing up.

“I have nothing to apologize for!” I argued. “If you weren’t so rude to me, I wouldn’t have to speak like that!”

He stepped forward but didn’t enter the room. He growled.

“You’ll learn to control your tongue,” he said. “If you don’t, you’ll find that whatever misery you’re wallowing in is just the beginning.”

He stormed out and I fell into my chair, crying from fear and the adrenaline of anger. I put my head in my hands and someone knocked on the still open door. It was Kassandra and she asked to come in.

“I suppose,” I mumbled and she put a hand on my shoulder.

“He didn’t mean it,” she said. “Empty threats are a specialty of his.”

“I don’t want to talk about him,” I said bitterly. I looked at her. “What role do you play?”

“What do you mean?” she asked, pulling out a book at random.

Out in the hallway, Heather was pounding on Zion’s office door.

“Open right this second!” she shouted and the door flew open.

He let her in then slammed it shut again. I sighed and looked back at Kassandra.

“Are you his sister, too?”

“Oh, no I’m not,” she said, flipping through the book. “I’m just a… family friend.”

“Are you Heather’s handmaiden?” I probed, very curious.

Her cheeks got pink. “No. You know, we have some horses if you want to go on a ride.”

I shook my head quickly. “No, that’s okay,” I said in a high voice and she lifted her brows.

“Are you afraid of horses?”

“Yes,” I mumbled, wringing my hands.

“What’s that?” she asked, pointing at the envelope.

“A letter to my mother. How do I get it out?”

She bit her lower lip. “Zion has to read it.”

“No,” I said immediately.

“It’s the rule, Aviel,” she sighed. “He has to make sure you’re not sharing… sensitive information.”

I rolled my eyes and stood up, taking the envelope with me.

“Oh please. He hasn’t given me any sensitive information to share. Now who will deliver it for me?”

“Ilya,” she said though she looked uncomfortable at the idea of not having Zion read it.

I closed the door behind us and went downstairs. I found Ilya in the kitchen and asked him to deliver it.

“Did Prince Zion read it already?” he asked and I looked at Kassandra.

“Just deliver it,” she said. “It’s for her mother. If he gets angry, tell him I made you.”

“Okay,” he said slowly and put his apron on the counter.

I sighed and looked around the kitchen. It was bigger than my bedroom at my mother’s house and I walked over to where Patrice was preparing our dinner for the evening. I remembered his order to be there at six and I frowned. The idea of being ordered to eat was repugnant and I looked at the door again.

“What are you thinking?” Kassandra asked me.

“I’m thinking I’ll eat in the study,” I said finally and she nodded.

“Can you have lunch sent-.”

“Not my lunch,” I interrupted. “My dinner.”

She shook her head immediately. “No. He won’t allow it.”

I stood up with a straight back. “He is not in control of my life. I will eat in my study and he’ll deal with it.”

Without waiting for her response, I went up and to my study. Heather was coming out at the same time and smiled a little at me.

“Are you okay?” she asked me.

“I’m fine,” I said. “Please excuse me. I want to read.”

She nodded and I closed the door, shaking a little. If he got that upset with me just because I spoke up for myself, I was nervous about what he’d do when I disobeyed him. I was tired of his scathing glare, though. I meant what I said: I wasn’t his slave. I could eat wherever I wished and I would write to whomever I desired.

~-~

Six o’clock came and went. No food was brought to the study. I suppose I shouldn’t be too surprised. I was disobeying him; he wouldn’t let me get away with it that easily. At seven, three pounds announced who it was.

“Open this door now,” he snarled.

I did but stepped outside of where he could reach. I was incredibly surprised to see a plate of food in his hand.

“You sent a letter without my permission?” he demanded.

“It was to my mother,” I said, my voice shaking. I didn’t feel nearly as brave now that I was facing him. He narrowed his eyes dangerously. “I-It was private. Y-You can’t j-just read my mail like that.”

He thrust the plate to me.

“I expect you to sleep in our bedroom,” he snapped and disappeared down the stairs.

I was still shaking as I sat down at my desk. The food was delicious and I wondered if Heather was behind him allowing me to eat in here. I had expected him to make me starve. Did I dare disobey him further and sleep in here?

Deciding it would be best to go along with it just once, I gave my plate to Patrice who was waiting outside the door.

“The master is sorry,” she whispered to me, avoiding my eyes. “Just please do not anger him any further.”

I frowned. “Does he hurt you?”

She finally looked at me, her blue eyes widening. “Of course not! But it’s upsetting to see him hurt.”

I tilted my head as she walked away. Did she love him? It was entirely possible. Though he was so cruel, he was very handsome.

I went to the bedroom door. It was shut and I knocked twice, not wanting to walk into him dressing.

“What now, Heather?” he snapped.

“It’s me,” I mumbled.

“What fool knocks on their own door?” he taunted as I walked in.

I glared at him but didn’t respond. I changed in my closet and avoided his gaze as I got into bed. He was reading a book again. I couldn’t see the title but I got a brief glimpse of the letters. It was a language I had never seen before.

“Asking questions is better than sneaking,” he said, not looking away from the pages.

“Like you’d answer them,” I said sarcastically and put my head on the pillow, turning my back on him.

It took me a while to fall asleep; I could feel him staring at me.

~-~

He was gone again when I woke up. I got dressed and skipped breakfast again. I went to my study and glanced at his shut door. I yearned to know what was in there.

“It’s not worth it,” Heather said, suddenly appearing behind me.

“What’s in there?” I asked. “He lets you go in.”

She shook her head. “It’s not worth it, Aviel.”

I sighed. “Fine,” I said and opened the door to my study.

“Will you play the violin some more?” Heather asked, hovering outside the door.

“You can come in, you know,” I said and she did so. “Are you all right? You look upset.”

She shrugged one shoulder. “I got into an argument with Kassandra,” she muttered.

“I’m sorry.”

“We’ll get over it.”

I stared at her as she wandered in front of the bookshelves.

“How long have you been lovers?” I asked and she dropped the book she was holding.

Her face was red as she said, “Don’t be ridiculous, Aviel. We are not lovers. It is Zion who holds her affections.”

“I’m not a fool,” I said and she lowered her head. “Does Zion know?”

“Yes,” she said in a small voice. She looked at me. “Our parents are supportive of our relationship but Zion… he is unsure. But he agreed to take us in while our other brother stayed home to run the kingdom. Any other person would expel me. Relationships like ours are… taboo.”

“I understand,” I said. “There is a similar couple in the village. No one is allowed to socialize with them.”

She looked horrified. “Oh, that’s horrible!”

I thought for a moment. “Maybe we can go to the village and you can meet them.”

She shook her head. “We can’t leave unless it’s on the property.”

“I sent out a letter without his permission,” I said bitterly. “I’ll do the same with visiting my family.”

“No, you don’t understand,” she said and I looked at her. Her eyes were sad. “It’s not his rule. Not even he can leave. The marriage was a special occasion. We have to have special permission.”

“Why?”

“Will you play the violin?” she repeated and I nodded, realizing that the conversation was done.