The Right Fit

Chapter 29

“Harry, you’re up early, how did you sleep?” Marlee asked turning from the coffee pot “coffee?”

“yes ma’am, thank you” he said sitting down at the kitchen table

“how did you sleep sweetheart?” Harry shrugged

“I guess the best I could” he said taking in a deep breath, Marlee smiled and handed him the cup

“sugar and cream are right here” she said touching the china softly, she sat down across from Harry and took a sip of the dark liquid “she’s going to be ok” Harry looked up.

“I hope so Mrs. Lowry”

“Marlee”

“Marlee” he said softly

“she is her fathers, daughter. She is tough, and I know her father is with her guiding her the right way and I believe that if it was her time, she would have left us after she was shot” she said, Harry closed his eye as the image of Blakely being shot played in his head “I am going to go shower and head to the hospital” she said standing up, she squeezed his shoulder lightly making him look up. He could see the dark circles forming under her eyes and smiled lightly “positive thoughts darling” Harry nodded and watched her walk off. He looked around the kitchen and stopped at the flag in the triangle box that was in the hallway. He stood up and walked to it. It was eye level with him and next to it hung pictures of the man he had heard so much about. He smiled at the one of Blakely and her dad dancing at what was probably the military ball, she couldn’t have been no older than 13, and right away knew that Blakely was being watched over.

He walked to her room and decided on a quick shower, he wanted to hurry and ride with Marlee, he couldn’t stand being away from her anymore. Once he was dressed he made his way down stairs to see Kate, Cole, Susanna, and Jim sitting at the table.

“you’re up early” Kate said

“I couldn’t sleep, just want to get to the hospital, Cole has your mum left yet?”

“no, I’m right here” everyone turned to see Marlee walking into the kitchen “good moring” she said leaning down to kiss Cole’s head.

“morning mom”

“morning sweetheart, how do you feel?” she asked lightly rubbing Susanna’s shoulders

“I’m ok, thank you”

“I take it, you want to ride with me this morning?” She asked Harry, Harry blushed slightly and shoved his hands in his pockets.

“please”

“that’s ok with me, if it’s ok with Jim?” Harry looked over at Jim, who stood up at the table.

“I am ready to go, when you are” he said with a nod, Harry nodded and looked over at Marlee.

“perfect, let’s go then” she said pointing towards the door.

Once they got to the hospital, Marlee was pulled aside by doctors, Harry watched her nod her head and disappear into the room. He sunk down into the chair and waited for what seemed like hours before she walked out.

“Go on dear” she said sitting down next to Jim, Harry looked up before quickly jumping to his feet and almost sprinting to her room. He opened the door softly and looked at Blakely who was no longer hooked up to all of the machines. He sat down next to her and took her hand.

“Come on babe, you can do it. Wake up” he said kissing her hand, he sighed and rested his head on the bed next to her, he started to hum the song traveling soldier remembering that her dad sang it to her and she had sang it in Africa.

“Harry” Kate said softly, she frowned and held up the phone “it’s your dad” he sighed and stood up before walking to the door “I’m sorry” Harry nodded and took the phone before giving Cole a forced smile.

After what felt like forever, Harry finally hung up the phone with his dad to see Doctors and nurses rushing into Blakely’s room. Cole, Lacey, David and Susanna stepped out of the room to give them space. Cole turned to Harry and smiled before hugging his crying sister.

“what’s going on?”

“She’s awake” Susanna said with a smile.

“wh….what?”

“she opened her eyes, she doesn’t know where she is or what happened but Marlee is in there with her” David said with a smile, Harry stepped up to the door, he looked inside but couldn’t see anything with the doctors and nurses standing around. Cole slapped his shoulder making Harry turn around, Kate smiled and turned to look at Jim.

“Cole, Lacey” Marlee said opening the door “she’s asking for you” Cole wiped away the tears on Lacey cheek and kissed her head before walking with her into the room. Harry could feel his heart ripping out of his chest with every thought. What if she couldn’t remember him? What if she did remember him and hated him for what happened?

“Harry” Susanna said knocking him out of her thoughts “it’s going to be ok” all eyes turned to him and he nodded his head while swallowing the knot in his throat.

“hey sis” Cole said softly walking to the bed, she opened her eyes and gave him a small smile.

“you didn’t have to come all the way from Africa” she said hoarsely, Cole chuckled and sat down next to her in the chair, he took her hand and she squeezed it lightly

“I’m not the only one who traveled half way around the country to be here” he said with a smile, she narrowed her eyes at him.

“what?” Lacey smiled and sat down gently on the edge of the bed, they all glanced at the heart monitor as it began to beep louder. Blakely’s heart rate began to sky rocket at the thought of Harry.

“calm down, what’s going on?” Cole asked

“he’s….he’s here?” Lacey and t looked at each other before looking at Marlee, she gave them a small smile and head nod before they turned their attention to the youngest laying in bed.

“he’s here” Lacey said rubbing her leg gently, Blakely shut her eyes tightly to try to prevent the tears from falling.

“I heard him”

“what?” Marlee asked

“before I woke up, I heard him, I thought he was here, but I thought I was just crazy and dreaming it”

“what did you hear?” Lacey asked

“he was humming traveling soldier” she said thinking really hard “I thought it was my imagination, where is he?”

“he’s in the waiting room” Cole answered

“can I please see him”

“are you sure?” Lacey asked, Blakely nodded her head

“he, he was on the phone with me” she said concentrating on what had happened a few days earlier. “he’s really here?” Marlee nodded her head

“Kate, and Jim are here too”

“Kate is here?”

“yeah, she didn’t want Harry to come alone, just in case” Cole said reaching over to wipe away his sister’s tears.

“I will go get him, will you guys step out for a bit so they can have some time?”

“of course” Cole said kissing her head “I’m so glad you’re awake”

“I love you” Lacey said squeezing her hand, Blakely smiled and kissed her mom before watching them walk out, she looked out the window and took a deep breath. She was alive, the wreck that should have killed her and she survived. She was starting to think she was a cat with nine lives.

“Harry?” Marlee said softly, Harry looked up to see them walking into the lobby “she is asking for you” Harry’s eyes widened

“what?” Cole nodded his head

“don’t keep her waiting bud”

“does she hate me?”

“absolutely not” Marlee said with a smile “go on” Harry nodded and stood up, he slowly walked to the door and took in a deep breath before opening it quietly. Blakely turned from the window to the door and immediately burst into tears. Harry froze and looked at her before quickly walking to her.

“hi” he said once he reached the bed.

“Harry” she said in a sob, Harry sat down on the bed next to her and took her hands

“I’m here” he said with a smile, she took in several deep breaths “deep breath babe” he said gently rubbing the back of her hand around the IV.

“I can’t believe you are here”

“I was on the first flight out” he said with a smile, she chuckled lightly and wiped away the tears. “I am so sorry all of this happened to you”

“don’t apologize Harry, this wasn’t your fault”

“Blake”

“Harry” she said with a grin “I’m here”

“I love you so much” He said leaning down to kiss her
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it has taken so long, I have had so much going on plus writers block, but I'm back.....this chapter is another filler and she has a long hard road ahead of her.