What Happens at the Beach

Confession

I got out of the restaurant as fast as I could. I could tell exactly what Hannah was thinking. She thought Tom was going to hurt me, like the one before. I couldn't believe her. Can she not see Tom was different from him. Gosh, sometimes she could be so...AH! And of course her thinking of bad memories made me think of them too.

I ran the the side of the building quickly. I sat down and leaned against the wall. I held back my tears as long as I could, breathing the crisp summer air. Then I couldn't hold it back longer, I forced my face into my hands, so any one walking by wouldn't see me crying.

Some one came at sat next to me. They made no sound and I could only hear the breathing. And I felt the atmosphere change. So for the next few minutes, the sound of this person's breathing soothed me down.

I lifted my head out of my hands, and wiped my tears on the back of my wrist. The black make up was now smeared on my wrist, and probably all over my face. I looked over, and see Tom leaning against the wall, only a few inches away from me, looking straight out at the horizon. It's orange glow mixed with purple and pink glowed on his smooth face. I just couldn't stop staring.

He looked over, his head against the wall, his eyes keeping mine from looking down. I never liked looking some one in the eye, but something about his deep brown eyes, made me force my self to keep a straight stare. There was no emotion but concern in his eyes. Beside his eyes, the rest of his face was apathetic.

We just looked at each other for at least 5 minutes. But once 5 minutes was up, I couldn't keep my eyes up, my gaze dropped, and I stared at his shoes. But I couldn't see them that well because his baggy jeans covered them up.

"Have you ever considered skinny jeans?" I asked curiously. Tom laughed, and I smiled weakly.

"Not really, have you considered unfitting jeans?" Tom asked.

"Pffft, never. The ones with the back pocket's on the back of your knees? Not really." I smiled. Just Tom's presence made you feel all special inside.

"So, are you ok?" Tom asked, a little nervous of my reaction. I thought for a moment, and nodded. "So, is it something I did?"

"No, just the things I did." I said blankly.

"What do you mean?" He asked. I thought about ignoring my need to get out my story, but it has been burning a hole in my heart since we broke up.

"Well, about a year ago I had this boyfriend, Jack. And for the first month, I thought I was in love. And every day, every time I saw him, he told me how much he loved me, and no mattered how hard I couldn't say those three words. And once I did, he hit me every day. Bruises, cuts, scars. Hannah was so concerned.

I forced myself to believe he was just going through a hard time. It would get better and we would go back to a happy couple. I forced myself to keep saying 'I love you.' Those words were an addiction for me. But every time I said it the bruises would get bigger. Finally, I had to let go, before his anger lead to some thing worse then a small cut." I said, keeping low eye contact.

"How old were you two?" Tom asked.

"I had just turned 16, like a few days before his first anger out burst. And he was 19 when I first met him. When we broke up, he was 20." I said. Tom whistled in amazement.

"Quiet and age difference. How old are you now?" He asked.

"I turned 17 a week and a half ago." I realized, I was barely 17 and Tom would be 19 in a few months, in September. But it's not that big of a difference, is it?

"Oh, ok then. Just curious. So, this Jack guy, is he in jail?"

"Nein....I was to afraid to tell anyone. Hannah found out on her own." I said, I little sadly. We sat in silence for 10 or so minutes. Finally, Tom breaks the uncomfortable silence.

"So, are you up for a movie?" He asked looking into my eyes again. I slowly nodded. We got into his car and he drove around until we got to the theater. "Scary movie?"

Oh sure, the scary movie is perfect to get a girl to jump into a guys lap. Tom would know all this for sure.
♠ ♠ ♠
So sad....

Comments!