Status: This is a story I have on another website so it'll be up fast. All I'm doing is editing my work. I hope you enjoy. :)

Released

The Palace

King Lucian went to talk to Ongar while Persephone ran up to her room. She got her bag and put her journal and her boots into it. She hesitated then took his old cloak, too, folding it and hiding it under the boots. She added two holders that would strap to her legs in case she didn’t have her boots. She slung the bag over her shoulder and made sure her daggers were still hidden as they should be.

Ongar didn’t look comfortable with the idea of her going back to the palace for a week. After she had worked for him for about a year, Persephone told him everything that happened to her and her mother.

“You sure about this?” Ongar asked as she put her cloak on again.

Lucian was lingering by the door, not wanting to attract more attention than he already was.

“I’m sure,” she whispered. “If he tries anything, I’m prepared.”

He sighed and hugged her. “Be safe, Percy.”

“I will,” she said and hugged him back.

Lucian opened the door for her and she shivered at the sudden cold. It had started to snow and Lucian offered to take her bag.

“It’s okay,” she said. “Thank you, though.” He nodded. “So, why me?”

“What?” he asked.

He sounded and looked exhausted so she decided to save her question for later. When they got to the gates, Lucian lowered his hood and the guard stepped to the side immediately. It was warm in the palace and he took her cloak from her shoulders, hanging it up. It wasn’t nearly as nice as the others hanging by the door but it didn’t seem to bother him.

“And what is this?” a familiar voice asked from behind her and she froze.

Her hold on her bag tightened as Lucian turned to speak.

“Nothing, Jerkin. Go to bed. Tomorrow will be busy.”

“Taking women into your bed now, are you?” Jerkin taunted and Persephone whipped around.

She opened her mouth but Lucian stepped in. “Off to bed, Jerkin. And watch your mouth.”

The guard just bowed, looked her up and down, then left through a side door. Persephone was breathing heavily as she glared at the door. She hadn’t expected to run into him so soon. Yet he had been there, within arm’s reach. She could have sunk her dagger through his heart without a problem.

“Come on,” Lucian said, bringing her out of her thoughts. “I’ll show you to your room. Gretchen and her daughter will help you in the morning. They’re the best. Well, you probably remember Gretchen. I don’t know. Do you? Is it weird having someone you remember wait on you? Because we have some new servants and-.”

“Your majesty,” she said loudly over his blundering and he stopped. “Calm down. I will be fine. I don’t remember anyone named Gretchen.” He let out a breath. “Why are you so nervous?”

He ran his hand down the side of his face as they turned down a hallway she recognized was for the royals and special guests.

“King Uther is coming,” he said but the name didn’t sound familiar. “He was our ally until my father… turned from his chosen path.”

“Then why is he coming?”

“It’s been ten years,” he said. “He’s heard how things have improved and is considering allying with me again.”

“Hence all the extravagance,” she said.

“I want to impress him,” he admitted. He stopped outside a door. “Well, this will be your room. Like I said, Gretchen and her daughter will wake you up. Then you’ll be brought to the dining area for breakfast. Two things: First, Gretchen is a mute. Give her any trouble and you’ll have me to answer to.” That shocked her but he continued before she could say anything. “Second Uther is under the impression that we’re… more than just courting, if you catch my meaning.”

Persephone felt her face go bright red. “Yes, I do. Am I expected to have se-?”

“No,” he said quickly, shaking his head and waving his hands. “No, no I won’t make you do that. Just-Just act as casual as you can.” He cleared his throat, now going pink. “And… physical displays of affection are encouraged.”

“Right,” she said in a high voice. “Er- Well, I’m tired and you’re tired so I’ll just-.”

“Me too,” he said. “Right. Good night.”

“Good night,” she said and slipped into the room.

=

Persephone groaned as someone knocked on her door.

“Come in,” she grumbled and two women, one older and one younger, walked in.

They were both grinning at her and she scurried out of bed, realizing who they were.

“Er, are you Gretchen?” she asked the older woman who nodded. “So you’re her daughter. He didn’t tell me your name,” she added apologetically.

“Oh, it’s fine. The poor king has been so frazzled it doesn’t surprise me. I’m Kendra.”

“Pleasure. I’m- Well, you can call me Percy.”

They both looked curious but Gretchen went into another room while Kendra opened the wardrobe. Persephone quickly hid her daggers under her pillow before Gretchen beckoned for her and she walked into the washroom.

“You don’t have to help,” Persephone said but Gretchen waved her hand as if to say it wasn’t a problem. “Well- It’s just- No one’s seen me naked and-.”

Gretchen covered her mouth, her eyes sparkling, and turned her back.

“Thanks,” she squeaked and quickly got into the warm water. “Okay, I’m in.”

Gretchen turned around and started to massage soap into Persephone’s hair. Persephone ran soap over her arms and legs, frowning at the water. She was nervous about this king’s arrival. If he made Lucian that nervous, she imagined him to be formidable. Was he mean? Or was he kind? Persephone opened her mouth to ask but water cascaded down her head and face at the same time and she spat the water out of her mouth.

Gretchen looked mortified but Persephone started to laugh.

“It looks like we both have awful timing,” she joked and Gretchen managed a smile.

Once she was rinsed of all soap, Gretchen turned so Persephone could dry off and get in the provided robe. Kendra had taken two gowns and put them on the bed.

“Which would you like to wear, milady?” she asked.

“Percy, please. And I like the blue one.”

Kendra nodded with a grin. “I thought you would. It matches your eyes perfectly.”

While Persephone got into the dress – which wouldn’t be able to conceal her dagger – the two women busied themselves at the vanity. Persephone took advantage of their distraction to strap her daggers onto her legs.

Kendra had her sit down and Gretchen started to comb her hair. Suddenly, she dropped the comb and stared at Persephone with wide eyes.

“Mother?” Kendra asked, her voice heavy with concern. “Mother, what’s wrong?”

Gretchen blinked a few times then shook her head, waving her hand again. Kendra didn’t look convinced but passed her mother the comb anyway.

“Did I do something wrong?” Persephone asked but Gretchen shook her head, smiling at her.

She wasn’t convinced, either, but remained silent as Gretchen wrapped her hair up into an elegant bun, leaving some strands loose around her face. Persephone liked the look but didn’t have much time to study herself as Kendra got in front of her and started to put makeup on her face. Once she was done, Kendra stepped to the side and Persephone gasped.

She barely recognized herself and thanked them both. They left and started to lead the way but Persephone remembered the castle’s layout like the back of her hand, even ten years later.

“I, er, saw it when I got here last night,” she said when Kendra looked shocked.

“Oh, I suppose that makes sense,” Kendra said.

Lucian couldn’t even sit still. He was pacing behind his chair. He looked up briefly then did a double take. Persephone blushed as he stopped to look her up and down. Gretchen pushed him toward Persephone and he cleared his throat, his face pink.

“Here,” he said, holding out a chair for her. “You-You look nice.”

“Thank you,” she said. “When will King Uther be here?”

“In two hours,” he said. “Gretchen, could you bring- Ah, thank you.”

She handed him a piece of parchment. He started to eat his breakfast, studying the parchment carefully while Persephone ate.

“What is that?” she asked.

“Schedule,” he said. “When he arrives, you and I will wait for him in the foyer. He’ll want to rest up; it’s a long journey. Then we’re having a welcome ball. Tomorrow, we’ll give him a tour of the castle.”

“Okay.”

She was almost finished eating when a third person joined the table. She looked up to see Jerkin. He smiled at her with a wink and she felt her blood boil. She put her fork down with more force than necessary and dabbed at her mouth. Lucian looked up at the sudden noise then cleared his throat again.

“Well, I guess we should do a walkthrough of the palace,” he said and helped Persephone to her feet.