Status: This is a story I have on another website so it'll be up fast. All I'm doing is editing my work. I hope you enjoy. :)

Released

Guests

Lucian had Persephone hold his right arm while Jerkin walked on his left. Jerkin kept shooting her looks but she was resolutely looking away.

“Who is this young lady?” Jerkin asked finally. “You have yet to introduce us.”

Lucian sighed. He’d hate to think what would happen should he tell Jerkin her name.

“Most people just call me Percy,” she said with a curtsy and Lucian felt relief.

“Percy,” Jerkin repeated and took her free hand. She tried to snatch it back as he kissed her fingers. “Such a unique name for a beautiful woman. You look familiar,” he added. “Could it be that we have met before?”

Persephone’s smile changed but Jerkin didn’t seem to notice. Instead, he continued with whatever flirtatious routine he had mapped out.

“Perhaps in another life,” he said, taking a step closer. “Judging by the way I feel, we surely were husband and wife.”

“I think you’re mistaken,” she said in a stony voice. “Though I will say this: You seem to be quite brave.” Jerkin swelled in pride and Lucian stared at her. She was complimenting him? Her smile had now become a smirk, though. “To be openly flirting with the king’s woman is very bold.”

Jerkin turned a deep red and immediately took several steps away from her. Lucian was impressed and led the way first to the ballroom. He looked out of the corner of his eye. Persephone was smirking still and she looked proud.

“You did very well,” he murmured in her ear, pretending to kiss her cheek as he opened the door.

She smiled and looked around. Everything was how he wanted it. The kingdom’s colors were red and gold so the banners and streamers were colored to match. There were buffet tables set up around the sides but the most important table was in the back. There were places for everyone and he swapped name cards so that Persephone sat on his right side. It would make a better impression on King Uther.

After the ballroom, they inspected the other rooms he’d be taking the king and his family to. The library was a must; Uther loved books. Then the greenhouse, of course, to please his wife who had the same amount of power as Uther did. Finally, the music room for their son, the heir to the throne. Gaining their confidence was more important than anything at the moment and Lucian was prepared to do anything to make that possible.

“What will we be doing in the time between their arrival and the ball?” Persephone asked.

“I will be in my study finishing up last minute details. You may do whatever it is you like.”

“I’ve only been in your study once,” she said. “I had to clean- I mean, you showed it to me very briefly when you first brought me here.”

Jerkin looked up from polishing the pommel of his sword. They were in the foyer now and Jerkin was angry.

“You’ve brought her here before?” he asked in a quiet voice.

“Of course,” Lucian said. “Do you really think I wouldn’t bring the woman I’ve been romancing to my palace?”

“Why wasn’t I informed?” he demanded and Lucian thought fast for an excuse.

“You were ill,” Persephone said and Lucian tried to not look like this was a shock. “Don’t you remember?”

“No,” he said slowly. “Although, it has been a rough few years….”

Lucian resisted the urge to roll his eyes. Jerkin wouldn’t know a rough year if it hit him in the face.

Before Lucian could suggest going to the throne room, he heard distant trumpets. His eyes went wide and his back stiffened. Jerkin was smirking at him, probably relishing in his nerves. Persephone stood on her tiptoes and pressed a long kiss to his cheek, making him blush. She was doing better at pretending than he thought she would.

“It will be okay,” she said. “Just be calm and remember the most important thing.”

“Which is?”

“You’re King Lucian Ghent,” she said. “No one else. Your people love you, not some puffed up bird. Be yourself,” she said when he still looked confused.

“Oh! Right. Myself. Yes. That will-.”

He groaned a little as someone knocked three times on the front door. He took a deep breath and Persephone fixed his crown while Jerkin took his place behind them. Lucian nodded to the servant who opened the door slowly to reveal the three most important people in Lucian’s life at the current moment.

King Uther Penn was a tall, lean man. He was known everywhere for his prowess on the battle field and he had the scars to prove his many stories. He even still had the limp in his leg: a relic from a battle that took away his ability to lead his troops. His black hair was cropped but greying and his blue eyes shining.

His wife, Elisabeth, had long brown hair thought it had a little more grey in it than the last time Lucian had seen her. She was pale due to her illness but her blue eyes were chipper. No one knew what her illness was but it didn’t stop her from her duties as the queen. She was a great woman and she beamed when she saw Lucian.

Their son, though, was the oddest of the family. He was a little shorter than his father but seemed very small in the way he carried himself. His hair was brown like his mother’s and was much like Lucian’s hair: growing every which way. He walked a step or two behind his parents, his hands behind his back. From what Lucian understood, he was a bit of a shut in and he was almost positive that caused friction between him and King Uther.

Lucian let go of Persephone’s arm so he could shake King Uther’s hand.

“King Uther,” he said with a grin and the older man chuckled, embracing him instead.

“Ah, young Lucian! It’s been so long! You’ve become quite the young man! You remember my wife, Elisabeth? And my son, Frederick?” he asked, gesturing at them.

“Of course,” Lucian said, kissing Elisabeth’s hand and shaking Frederick’s. “How could I forget?”

“It has been fifteen years,” Uther pointed out and Lucian smiled a bit.

“And for that I’m very regretful,” Lucian said.

Uther put a hand on his shoulder. “He was a good man,” he murmured. “He just- Oh!” he said when his eyes finally landed on Persephone. “Oh my! Who is this beautiful young woman?”

Lucian took her hand and pulled her over. “This is Percy,” he said and she curtsied but King Uther kissed her fingers.

“Such an odd name,” he said. “But I’m sure it suits you well.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, your highness.”

Lucian squeezed her hand. She looked nervous and intimidated. He couldn’t blame her.

“All this ‘your highness’ is going to get so tedious,” Uther said. “Let’s get on a first name basis, shall we?”

“I agree,” Lucian said immediately then Jerkin cleared his throat quietly. He resisted the urge to groan. “Do you remember our head guard?”

The pleasant smile disappeared from Uther’s face in less than a second. He looked at Jerkin with poorly disguised anger.

“You’re still prowling the halls, Jerkin?” he asked and Lucian bit his lip.

“Of course I am, Uther,” Jerkin replied with a confident smirk. “Someone has to make sure Lucian follows in his father’s footsteps.”

King Lucian,” Lucian said and Uther looked at him in surprise. “Remember what we spoke about, Jerkin.”

“Of course, your highness,” he muttered, though he looked resentful that he didn’t have the honor of calling him by his first name, too. “Please forgive me.”

Lucian didn’t say anything. Instead, he turned to his guests.

“Your journey has been a long one. I’ll have my personal servant and her daughter show you to your rooms. You’ll find they have been altered to match what I know you prefer.”

King Uther laughed boisterously. “Trying to impress me, are you?”

“First impressions are important,” Lucian responded. “Especially after fifteen years. The ball will be held at five in the evening so rest up. Gretchen, Kendra,” he added and the two stepped forward. “Take them to their rooms please. And Kendra,” he said in a quiet voice, “make sure you explain your mother’s situation to them.”

“Of course, your majesty,” she said and curtsied to him before beaming at the royal family.

Lucian and Persephone went up to his study while Jerkin went to oversee the guards. The minute the door was shut, Lucian flopped onto his couch with a long groan. He leaned his head back, taking deep breaths. His body was shaking and he needed to calm down.

When he opened his eyes, Persephone was looking around, her jaw hanging open.

“Are you all right?” he asked.

“What have you done?” she squeaked. “I had this place clean before I left!”

He chuckled at her indignation and patted the couch beside him. She sat but kept a respectful distance between them.

“When I was crowned, I was put through so many classes my head spun,” he explained. He took the crown off to look at it. He passed it to her and she held it carefully. “I didn’t have time to clean it up and it just became normal. I don’t let anyone else in here, you see.”

“Why not?”

He sighed. “It’s no secret my father was a cruel man. People expected the same from me. They still do. I don’t want to give anyone an opportunity to… act on any impulses.”

She was polishing a gem on her sleeve but stopped. He wondered why her cheeks were pink then she held his hand. She smiled at him.

“You’re nothing like your father, if that’s not too bold to say,” she whispered and he smiled back.

“It’s not,” he whispered back and their eyes met.