Status: Completed

The Internship

Maybe Forks Isn't That Bad After All

A couple days later, I was the happiest I’ve been since my father died, and my mom easily noticed the change.
“That internship really made a change in you.” She said, setting down a plate of eggs, bacon, and toast in front of me. I shrugged.
“It’s a dream come true, and it helps that Doctor Cullen is so compassionate. He’s an amazing doctor, and a really easy person to be around. And because he likes me so much, I’ve been able to make friends with Emmett and Alice easily. Rosalie and Jasper still seem iffy about me, but I care not!” I smiled, digging into my breakfast. It was Saturday, and I had agreed to come in and work with Carlisle.
“Do you like him?” My mom asked, looking at me with a strange expression.
“Like who?”
“Doctor Cullen.”
“Well yeah, he’s a cool guy. And he’s really nice.” I shrugged.
“Not what I meant.”
“What do you…oh do you mean romantically?” I laughed, leaning back in my chair.
“Yes.” She rolled her eyes.
“Mom, I’m 19 and he’s what, thirty something? Is he gorgeous, hell yea. Is anything likely to happen, hell no.” I sighed. It’s true, I did have a crush on the kind doctor, but I was also mature enough to keep my hands, and thoughts, to myself. “Anyways, I gotta get dressed, he’s expecting me in an hour.”
After I was showered and put some makeup on, I pulled on what I deemed a “work appropriate” outfit, consisting of black dickies that hugged my legs nicely, a cute flowery blouse, and light white sweater. I pulled my hair into a high ponytail and shoved my feet into my black converse before running down the stairs and out into my car. It was, of course, raining. I glared at the sky. I haven’t seen the sun since I got here.
Fifteen minutes later, I pulled into the hospital parking lot. I was glad the rain had stopped for a moment, so I quickly walked inside the building. I waved at Barbra, the receptionist, before getting into the elevator and going up to the third floor, where Carlisle’s office was. I hummed along to the song playing in the elevator, some song by Taylor Swift.
Ding
I strolled out of the elevator, smiling at passing nurses I’ve met, before knocking on Carlisle’s office door.
I heard some low voices, one I recognized to Carlisle’s, the other sounded feminine, before the door opened and a gorgeous woman I haven’t seen before stomped passed me angrily. I raised my eyebrows at Carlisle, who’s own attitude wasn’t much better. I’ve never seen him angry, not even when a crotchety old man yelled and cursed at him the other day.
“Are you ok?” I asked softly, stepping into the office and closing the door. He closed his eyes and took some deep breaths.
“I’m fine. I’m sorry you had to see that.” He replied kindly, opening his eyes and visibly relaxing.
“If you don’t mind my asking, who was that?” I asked, sitting in the chair I had claimed as mine. He sat in his own, running his hand through his hair.
My lord, I need to be blind so I can focus around him I groaned in my head.
“My ex. She comes around to visit the children and routinely try to get me back. By the time she leaves I want to rip my hair out.” He sighed. I went around to him, gently fixing his lovely soft hair.
“Please don't, I don't think you could pull off the bald look.” I mused, giving him a cheeky smile. He laughed, the corners of his eyes crinkling adorably. For a moment, I got stuck looking into his eyes, a soft smile playing at my lips as I marveled at the color. The majority was a bright gold, but deep topaz flecks were scattered and an almost black ring ran through the middle, barely there. I suddenly realized what I was doing and flushed with embarrassment, quickly moving away.
“Sorry.” I murmured, feeling my cheeks burning. He had a thoughtful look on his face as he stared at me, a corner of his mouth slightly upturned.
“It's alright, Adeline.” He replied softly, still staring, although the expression had turned softer and almost indecipherable. A knock at the door tore his eyes from me as he looked over at it and called, “Come on in.”
The door opened and one of the prettier nurses came in, looking at him with flirty eyes. I rolled my own, at least I, hopefully, didn't look at him like that. She glanced at me, and then said,
“May I have a word, alone?” She asked, giving me a pointed look. I glared at the woman. I didn't take orders from her.
“Now I'm sure whatever you need to say to me can be said in front of my intern. She is, after all, here to learn.” Carlisle smiled, a look of mischief in his eyes. I raised an eyebrow at him. I knew he knew what she wanted. The nurse sighed irritably.
“Fine. I was wondering if you would accompany me to dinner on Friday.” She said, jutting her chin out in false confidence. Well. This was fucking awkward. Carlisle, at least, had the decency to look a little uncomfortable, as he shifted in his seat.
“I'm sorry, Ms. Burke, but I have a rule about not dating within the workplace.” He said, as he steepled his hands in front of him, as if to hide behind them.
The nurse, Ms. Burke as he called her, looked crushed. This just got even more uncomfortable, and I shifted as I stared at the generic painting on the wall with great, fake, interest.
“Oh...I see. Well, I'll just...” She quickly rushed out of the room, head down, and slammed the door behind her. I jumped at the noise.
“Well that was uncomfortable.” I mused, glancing at the man. He groaned and went to mess up his hair again. “Don't!” I warned pointing a finger at him. He paused, staring at me. “I just bloody fixed it.” I huffed. He smiled, and then chuckled, putting his hand down.
“So you did. Anyways, we should get started on our rounds.” He got up and grabbed his patient clipboards.

We went on our rounds, as he quizzed me on vital signs and how to read the machines, and what it all meant. It was going well until we went into the grumpy old man's room.
Carl Brown was his name, and he was laying down with a pale face and sweat covering his face. His heart beat was slow and irregular. Carlisle immediately jumped into action.
“Adeline, go get the nurses. Then access his files and call his emergency contact, quickly!” I scurried out of the room, eyes wide.
“Mr. Brown's room, now! Doctor Cullen needs help!” I yelled, and three nurses quickly ran into the room while I dashed to the computer. I quickly dialed the number listed.
“Hello?” A woman's voice answered.
“Hi, this is Adeline with Forks General Hospital. This is Carl Brown's emergency contact?” I asked, trying to make my voice calm. The woman became alarmed.
“Yes! Is everything alright?” She gasped.
“Ma'am, we need you here right away. Somethings happened, and we don't know if...” I trailed off.
“We'll be there right away.” The line went dead and I sat there nervously before jumping up to go back to the room.
I didn't even need to enter, I could here the flat line and the nurse calling,
“Clear!”
I turned away and tried to make sure I was going to remain calm. A woman and a man rushed to me.
“Where is he! Where's my dad!” The woman yelled, frantic.
“Please, wait here. Doctor Cullen is doing all he can, I will make sure he comes to see you soon.” I forced myself to remain calm. Carlisle would save him. He had to. They sat down in some hideous chairs with worried looks on their faces, grasping at each other's hands.
Carlisle soon came out, with a grim look on his face, and my stomach sank. I walked over to him.
“Is he...?” I asked quietly, searching his face.
“He's stable for now, but he won't be for much longer.” He replied softly.
“His family is over there.” I pointed, and he walked over. I just ran back to his office.
Could I pursue this? Could I even handle being surrounded by this death? Flashes of my father ran through my mind. I sank into my chair, my eyes squeezing shut as I tried to hold back tears.
He wouldn't want me to give up. Not because of him. I put my head in my hands, groaning. I missed him. God I missed my dad. I started to cry softly. I knew I needed to pull myself together, especially if I wanted to be a doctor, but I couldn't. I had been putting on a brave face, hell, Carlisle had even made me forget for a bit, but I was fooling myself. I was still grieving hopelessly for my father, and watching that woman loose her own made it worse. I choked out a sob as the door opened slowly, revealing a concerned Carlisle. I quickly hid my face, trying to wipe away the rapidly replenishing tears desperately.
“Adeline.” He whispered, almost too quietly. He closed the door softly before rushing over and scooping me into his cold, strong arms. The barely controlled dam broke, and I began to sob into his neck, throwing my arms around him carelessly. He pulled me closer to him, his arms tightening slightly as he whispered into my ear, trying to console me. 'Everything will be ok', 'I've got you', 'You're ok'.
We stood there for a while until I was able to get a grip on myself.
“I'm sorry.” I hiccuped, wiping my face with the sleeve of my sweater, noticing my make up had been washed away with my tears. I looked in horror at his pristine lab coat, noticing the large wet spot marred with black eyeliner and mascara stains.
“Don't be sorry. The first time is always the worst.” He said quietly, looking at me with concern, and of course, compassion.
“It wasn't just that.” I said, sitting back in my chair. He pulled his chair next to mine and sat.
“Want to talk about it?”
I considered for a moment, realizing I really did want to tell him.
“Three weeks ago, my father was driving home. He had to stay at work later than usual. I had left dinner in the microwave for him.” I began, staring at the nameplate on the desk blankly. “It was raining. The other car didn't see the stop sign. They barely tried to stop. My father died two days later in the hospital, brain bleed. After the funeral, I moved here.”
Carlisle's cold hand grabbed mine softly, and I gave him a small squeeze of gratitude.
“I'm very sorry, Adeline.” He said softly.
“It isn't your fault.” I said bitterly.
“Still.”
“Thank you.”
He lifted my hand and planted a small kiss on it, making me look at him in surprise. He just gave me a soft smile, and I returned it.
“You should go home for today.” He said, standing up. He helped me up as well. I nodded.
“Alright. Will...Will you walk me to my car?” I asked, glancing at him from the corner of my eye. He smiled.
“Sure.”
We walked in amiable silence through the hospital and out into the parking lot, where it blessedly wasn't raining. I unlocked the car but before I could get in, Carlisle's fingers wrapped around my hand. I turned surprised, before noticing he was very close to me. I looked up at him in confusion.
“Be safe, Addie.” He said quietly, searching my eyes. I nodded slowly, unable to keep my eyes from glancing down at his lovely lips before back up to his eyes.
“Yes, of course.”
He hesitated for a moment, before slowly pulling away. I felt alarm, I didn't want him to go yet. Oh, this silly crush is getting worse!
“Carlisle!” I called, before he could fully walk away. He turned toward my quickly. “Uh, thank you, again.” I said nervously, shuffling.
“Of course. Now, get home.” He nodded, then quickly walked back to the hospital. I just watched him go before slowly getting into my car.
What the fucking hell just happened.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please review!