Status: Short story

Every Other Weekend

Six

"Daddy! Can we go to the studio now?" Jason asked me as soon as we finished eating. I cracked a smile, despite my heart being shred to peaces.

"Yeah buddy. Hey, go get your guitar so you can show uncle Brian."

"Okay!" He yelled happily and ran up the stairs. I smiled and packed away the dishes in the dishwasher Ellie bought when we got this house.

**

"You talk to Ellie?" Zack asked after a while of us sitting on the sofas in the studio. We're currently taking a smoke break after recording three songs on the new album.

"No. She didn't want to."

"I'm sorry man."

"Yeah" I whispered. "I need her back man but she...she wants nothing to do with me."

"I know you do but Matt, bro, you gotta maybe see things her way. You think she'd be getting another chance if it was her who cheated?"

I pondered over his words while watching my son play on the guitar we bought him for his birthday a year ago.

Would I forgive her knowing she had sex with another man?

Yeah. I think... Yeah. Yeah I would forgive her.

Because it's her.

She's been my life for so many years, and I honestly can't even think about never having her again.

I can't think of the day she might get married to another man.

She can't.

I need her back, even if it is the last thing I might ever do.