Status: Short story

Every Other Weekend

Eight

"Please tell me you're joking"

I rolled my eyes at my brother's accusation. His eyes were hard as stone and his thin lips turned in a straight, disapproving line.

"I'm not. I've decided to give him another chance. We're doing it slow though."

"No Ellie. You can't."

"Excuse me?" I snapped at Brian. He rolled his eyes and turned to the stove.

"He cheated on you! How could you even think of giving him another chance?"

"Because I know he regrets it. I know he's sorry, and I love him."

"Once a cheater..." Brian muttered and that broke the little control I had left in me.

"Oh? and how many girls have you cheated on Brian? You're the last one that can talk!"

"I've never cheated on a girl I love. I've never cheated on Michelle!" He screamed at me. I'm so happy Jason's not here to witness us fighting.

"I'm sorry" I sighed. "That was...out of line. I just...I love him Bri. I love him so much, and I'm sure if Michelle cheated on you, you'd also give her another chance. I just...I need him. I want to be a family again."

"I'm sorry Ellie. But I can't...I can't even begin to think how you can give him another chance. I'm sorry, but I can't be apart of you making the worst mistake of your life."

With tears in my eyes, I pondered over his words.

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying don't come crying to me when he hurts you again."